Anyone tried "Cozza" Birfs? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AussieHJCruza

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.completecruisers.com.au
I've started getting the dreaded click click on turns from the drivers side birf - seems like I'm up for the rite of passage birf job.

I have found these online and with good reviews on the actual knuckle kit from the patrol types but nothing on the birfs.

I figure for the price it's worth a shot - what do you all think?

That is a lot of parts for the money.
That's what I'm thinking. If it's true to label with Koyo bearings and the seals are half-decent quality I think it's good value. If it's junk I guess I'll take the OEM route. I hear that the seals etc are the same as what terrain tamer supply - dunno if that's true or not.

Well, I've ordered - watch this space (Hopefully it's not rubbish)

I’ve ordered from them before, through Trademe in NZ. Were legit koyo bearings. The knuckle seals were fine too. The inner axle seals seemed different to some others I had but worked fine.

I think there’s a pretty high chance all non-Toyota seals come from the same ethically run factory somewhere.

If you run your rig off road and dont do long stretchs on the highway why not, I just got a set of nitro's and they were not even close price wise.

Just for comparison, similar parts from online US vendors would be approximately $325 US without the Birfields CV joints. The cheapest CVs online here are about $60 each.

The way it often works for after market parts is that when the production for a model ceases, the value of the used model declines, even as the demand for replacement parts increases. As the value of the used model decreases the value of the replacement parts decreases too and it becomes uneconomical to produce them in countries with high production costs, like Japan and the US. In order to meet the demand for replacement parts without losing money, companies often transfer the parts production lines for discontinued models overseas to their global subsidiaries with lower production costs, like China, India, Thailand Vietnam or the Philippines. The irony is that the aftermarket parts often come off the same machinery produced with third world labor. Typically, there isn’t enough demand for aftermarket parts for a competing company to want to come in and set up the necessary tooling to compete with the existing production line. Seals are one thing that it doesn’t take expensive tooling to make, but not CV joints.

I've used lots of Autoparts online stuff including full swivel hub rebuild kit- not CV's- but its all worked fine.

Seems good prices. Rare you see a "complete kit" on one site
Looking at replacements from Uk at moment and seeing OPN, HDK, Kavo and other 3rd party Birf makers

So, the kit turned up this morning.

Initial Impressions - Good

*Packed well
*Genuine Koyo bearings
*Japanese made Joint Fuji drive flanges
*Seals don't state origin however packed well, light coating of oil etc.
*Birfs don't state origin but carry a 2 year, 50,000 km warranty and includes a container of grease for the brifs - I won't use because don't like mixing greases and it's not enough to fill the knuckle, but it might be good for something else around the place.

More to follow when it's unpacked and birf job in progress. @Indestructible 47 I'm slipping - first time I've bought aftermarket parts for this rig. Still, if they don't hold up I'll go OEM as usual but I figured a kit that was less than one OEM birf was worth a shot.

I’ve been getting ads for these and “online auto parts” on eBay. The online auto parts I emailed about, they’re shipped from Australia. He said they have been using them down there for 10 years almost with no issues. Chinese made, but good quality control. Not sure how I feel about it. Considering for sure!

Sounds decent. I purchased birfs and drive flanges from terrain tamer recently. Flanges were Joint Fuji.

I've used online Auto parts for less critical stuff. Parts have always been decent, but not quite OEM quality

So, it begins. This all looks OK to me but be glad of any comments

Nah, no ABS on this truck. Bearing races in the freezer for tomorrow, I can't find a race driver of appropriate size. I assume that the inner and outer are supposed to be different sizes? First time doing this so sorry for the dumb questions.

Also, another dumb question - what is this bearing for and also this what appears to be brass bush.

Those would replace the older style one piece bushing for birfield shaft support

Put cardboard down on the floor before you start and get lots of paper towels. The bigest part of this job is cleaning everything.
Good Luck!!!

Bronze bush goes in the back of the spindle,

Simple way to make a bearing drift is use the old bearing shell.
After you punch the old shells out of the hub, put a single cut through the old bearing shell with a 5" grinder and 1mm zip cut disc, you now have the perfect sized drift.
The cut let's the old shell spring a little so it will be a loose fit in the hub so you can lift it out after driving in the new one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom