Anyone Tow their cruiser with a F150? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious if anyone is towing their FJ40 with a F150? Thinking about getting one for a work truck but would like something I could also tow a 40 with if possible. Not looking at spending big bucks and F150 are common and cheap in farm country. :D I know you hate them and blah blah blah but I have had good experience with the one I owned (4.9 straight 6). Just looking for if it would pull the 40 or if I should not even think about it unless I want to replace the tranny.

Thank you for the responses.

:cheers:

I tow mine with a 2004 F150 Super Crew 4 x4. short short bed.
With the tow package.
It tows fine. I towed the Fj40 from CA to Moab, Utah on a 7000 gvw car trailer. The combined weight of my cruiser and trailer is about 6800 lbs. Up hills you don't go real fast. Down hills because of the weight I am towing I keep the spped down as well. On the flats it will do 65 mph. A lot of it depends on the trailer. I would recommend a 14 or 16 ft 10000 gvw equipment trailer with dual axle breaks for a Fj40. Mine is a 18 foot Bri-MAr cAr trailer with dual axle breaks. The breaks on both axles is great for stopping. It stops much more evenly than the single axle.
As far as the year of F150. The new model has a heavier towing capacity (9000 gvw) than the older ones (7500 I think). I had an older one and the new model definately tows better.
Enough rambling check out www.f150online.com for more info on the F150's. They are having a few vibration issues with them. Mine had it but Ford has resolved them.

I tow my 40 with my 91 F150 4x4 w/ a 351w and an auto trany. It tows fine, not the fastest thing in the world but it is ok with ~4000 lbs but much more would be pushing it. If you get a newer truck with a mod motor DO NOT get a 4.6 V8 to tow with you will hate it.

I flat tow mine when I need to. '99 F-150, Although mine came from the factory with heavier suspension and heavier tires.

I tow mine with a F150 with 5.4 V8 and it does fine. Not real fast but adequate. I would get electric brakes if possible.

i used to tow with my f150 it was a 2002 lariat with the 5.4 v8. i would tow on a really nice trailer that had dual axles and brakes. it was very easy to pull, i had exhaust and an intake on the truck, the exhaust REALLY helped the low end, which was nice because it is a high end motor. i got between eight and ten mph which sucked. when i did pull it i ussualy pulled it 5 hours from san antonio to dallas. i had plenty of power but poor gas mileage but if we could all afford an f350 king ranch we wouldn't be having this conversation. so ya an f150 is fine but you'll only want to do it with and 5.4. i should also add that mine was lifted on 35's, it was two wheel drive and i put on the hitch. so i'm sure the 4x4 would better with a tow package.

I didnt have a Ford, But I did flat tow with a '94 3/4 tom Chevy, It did well, My suggestion is to make sure you have some weight near the tailgate for weight dist. I had the 40 push me around a few corners due to it being heavier, That is if you flat tow :)
Good luck

I think an fj being flat towed with a 1/2 ton should be fine if you dont live in a mountainous area,however the image of a mouse towing an elephant always comes to mind on anything but flatlands.IMHO unless your truck is on a trailer equipped with its own braking system,that truck behind you becomes a 2 ton dead weight pushing where you dont wanna go.just my thoughts,I would rather have a bigger tow vehicle,but you gotta run what ya brung.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom