Anyone tapped the A/C clutch wire and not have it kill the A/C system?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Moby, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Moby

Moby

I seem to have killed my truck today. Trying to determine if what I tried to do should work...

I was hooking up my aux fans (2 front mounted pushers). I wired the control unit's A/C circuit to the A/C compressor clutch lead (per the unit's instructions). I then tried to start the truck. Nothing. Finally started and proceeded to run really really badly. Stopped the truck and checked the diagnostic codes. Hmmm... #51. 51 is no signal from idle, tps or, yup, A/C switch circuit. I disconnect my new controller from the A/C clutch circuit and try again. Same bad running, same error code. Disconnect and reconnect the battery. Same thing.

I started investigating and it looks like the pressure switch and/or the resistor are toast. Has anyone tapped the A/C compressor circuit with good results?

2. Elbert

Elbert SILVER Star

while I've not done this...I plan to do that in the future at some point. Are you using a relay? I have an electric fan setup on another vehicle where I do have the option to use the A/C as a signal voltage.

It sounds as if you might have connected the wire wrong? Don't use one of side of the relay where it senses 5 volts? I know SPAL and others make a good wiring harnes for this with a relay and temp sensor and or they have various style controllers.

3. Moby

Moby

I'm using a Direct Current Control controller. It's A/C control circuit draws a mere .6 milliamps - probably less than a relay (I measured it because that was my first thought as well - I bogged down the stock circuit and fried something).

I'll let you know when I get to the bottom of this :)

4. Elbert

Elbert SILVER Star

you figure out the problem?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.