Anyone seen a Full-covering FJ40 Bikini Top?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I remember seeing somebody who added another main hoop and connected them like you mentioned. Id like to go that route myself

I added a second main hoop and found a SOR family top on craigslist
Top1.jpg
Top2.jpg
Top2.jpg
Top1.jpg
Top2.jpg
for $20.

Beautiful! Now im on the hunt for another main roolbar hoop to do this exact thing as seen here!

I messaged Erik a while back about his extra hoop and he said a local shop made it. Hadn't seen a close up of how it bolts on. I would imagine the factory roll bar was 'threaded' to allow bolts to attach. Super clean look. I really want this exact same thing. Would be nice if someone could mass produce this! Or at least make me one!!! :D

Of course this would be for the family bikini top only, not for added safety. In our previous PM's, Erik did refer to it as a faux roll bar and stated it is cosmetic only.

7BD8F9C2-5751-4F8D-9F78-084FC6F4652D (1).jpeg

Last edited:
I messaged Erik a while back about his extra hoop and he said a local shop made it. Hadn't seen a close up of how it bolts on. I would imagine the factory roll bar was 'threaded' to allow bolts to attach. Super clean look. I really want this exact same thing. Would be nice if someone could mass produce this! Or at least make me one!!! :D

Of course this would be for the family bikini top only, not for added safety. In our previous PM's, Erik did refer to it as a faux roll bar and stated it is cosmetic only.

View attachment 2339698

Yes, it was good to talk to him about it. I knew right away it's for the function on the bikini top and not added safety. I think he mentioned having the stock rollbar arm drilled out and the mounting nuts welded in place??? (I recall that maybe)

I wanted something "low tech" that would utilize the long/family bikini top without buying an expensive family cage and drilling a bunch of holes in my 40 just to add a canvas top.

I'd buy one for sure, but I'm probably going to take a picture of his to a local custom shop so I can pay double because I'm in CA :mad:

@777Gage Ya it's always interesting hearing prices outside of CA!

I think I'm going to look into doing it like ArizonaFJ did. You can see the attachment points in the pic. Plus this method won't be $$$ of shop time!

IMG_0613.JPG

When I have free time I've looked a bit at whether there are commercially available clamps where you could clamp to the lower bar to allow a new bar to protrude on an angle. Similar to the above photo, but with no drilling, and the only contact point on the smaller bar. Chain link fence clamps come to mind, that allow a larger clamp on one and, and a smaller tube angled output. Just haven't had time to find something that works.

Scaffolding suppliers may have something similar. I just want an easily added situation without drilling the roll bar if possible.

well, the truck is for sale. Buy the truck and you can have the roll bar :)

You’ve done good things with your rig..... can’t imagine it not selling quickly! Sorry to hear you’re in a need to sell spot....

Well, both @777Gage and @84runner have asked for a little more information on my high speed, high tech bikini top holder upper. I made it from 1" conduit from Home Depot - 1 or 2 ten foot pieces (I don't remember if one was enough) and two elbows. I sleeved the inside of the joints with a pipe nipple. I don't remember the size I used but you can just take the conduit to the plumbing section and find something that fits. I butt welded the conduit together (leave a gap) and put a couple rosette welds on either side. In the pictures you'll see that I bent the "legs" out 1 1/2" so the lined up with the center of the roll bar, welded a tab onto the end and ran a screw through the tab into the roll bar. In retrospect, I'd leave the legs straight and just flatten the last couple inches and run a screw through that into the roll bar. The drawing reflects that.
The other change I'd make if doing it again is to bend the "legs" in above the pivot bolts to narrow the top section. This would help the rear straps to stretch the top side-to-side and keep it taut. You can see in the picture from behind the truck that the top isn't pulled taut. Minor, but it bugs me.
I don't know the brand of my "light bar" (that's what it claims to be) but others will likely be slightly different dimensions so measure, mock up (1x2s work well) test fit, etc before cutting and welding. The hoop just mounts with a couple 1/4"x20 bolts though the roll bar. I sleeved the holes just because I had some 1/4" ID tube but it's probably not necessary. At the lower end of the legs I drilled and tapped the roll bar for a 10-32 screw. I LEAVE IT UP TO YOU TO DETERMINE IF THE ROLL BAR RETAINS ADEQUATE STRENGTH AFTER THESE MODIFICATIONS!
A final note: If you park outside and have potential for rain I suggest putting something under the bikini top to keep water from pooling. A piece of plywood works. The top can collect a surprising amount of water and I suspect the weight is one factor in the early deaths of my tops (approximately 5 years of continuous, installed-and-parked-outside-year-round use whether in the Tucson sun, the Flagstaff snow or the northern Nevada sub-zero winters.
IMG_1424.JPG
IMG_1379.JPG
IMG_1376.JPG
IMG_1375.JPG
IMG_1378.JPG

View from behind and a gratuitous mud picture of the 60 on the Fourth of July weekend camping trip. I do hate mud but that doesn't stop me from trying over and over until the ladies take the keys away.

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

TPI 4x4 makes a reasonably priced one. Around $120-130 if I recall correctly. That is for the top and windshield rail. I ran one on my old fj40 and just bought another for my new one.

After some research, I bought a Spector of road family top, I just installed it and the material is nice but the measurement seems incorrect. Where the straps are supposed to connect they completely miss my B bar.

I may have an upholstery shop correct it but at that point 300$ plus the upholstery shop I may as well have bought a custom made one…

D5A5A93E-19DA-46C2-B329-6F1C6EE76C9A.jpeg

2E5431CC-D0B9-45F4-96B4-D35C58F08227.jpeg

C153A5A3-BA50-40E3-865C-50D2BA0990BA.jpeg

What rollcage is that? Or how did you attach rear hoop.

I bought SOR's family top last year, but doesn't really work with my factory 1978 cage, (I knew it wouldnt). Need to add a rear hoop or something...

What rollcage is that? Or how did you attach rear hoop.

I bought SOR's family top last year, but doesn't really work with my factory 1978 cage, (I knew it wouldnt). Need to add a rear hoop or something...
Oh I have no idea, I’ve been thinking some things were factory on this thing to turn around and be proven wrong again and again. I do know it aligns with my buddy’s factory B bar.

Currently it’s tied down to the custom made rack in the back just for tension, I’ll be installing some loops once I pick some up, probably bolt through the footing of the c bar on the roll cage

All good info here. I have a sor family top in the box for mine. I like the second main hoop and straight tie in like posted above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom