Anyone running wheel spacers on stock suspension / no lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched and read every post on wheel spacers, but I'm still conflicted

I put on 275 65 R18 (32.1") Toyo Open Country AT3s on my 2019 LC200. Went with the SLs over LTs because we don't have a need for the additional weight capacity and the trade offs in terms of ride harshness, MPG, and rubbing issues didn't seem worth it for our anticipated needs. Additionally Toyo was on backorder for all other variants except the SLs (I was considering 285 65 18 as well).

One thing I didn't consider is aesthetics. The tire looks a little small, but I can live with that. It's the offset that's bothersome. Wife called the truck "anorexic" lol. The fenders jut out at least an inch or so over the tires.

I'm thinking about putting on wheel spacers to improve the stance a bit. Based on my research here and elsewhere I've identified the following pros and cons:

Cons
  • Adding strain to wheel bearings - this article makes them out to be a fairly bad idea
  • Rubbing and requiring trimming
  • Tire shops won't service or rotate / will have to handle maintenance on my own
  • Decrease in handling and turning radius
Pros
  • Better stance, not being made fun of by wife (as much)
  • Since I'm running taller and skinnier tires over stock, I suspect that spacers will help make up for the reduced scrub radius, thus evening out the handling. I suspect this advantage will be miniscule..
The cons seem to out weigh the pros in this case especially as I will be traveling a lot for work assignments and won't have tools readily available to do my own rotations. Can anyone here weigh in on their experiences running wheel spacers for stock suspension setup? Any advice for my situation?

As I see it...1) put on spacers 2) swap tires 3) learn to love it...guess it comes down to how vain I want to be. Here are some pics of the truck and tires:
unnamed (5) truck.jpeg
unnamed (5) side.jpeg

Another option is to put on rims with a different offset, if you want the wheels closer to the fenders and are not keen on wheel spacers.

Reactions: BVE
Lots and lots of people run spacers. Get a reputable brand (I have Bora spacers on my 470) and you should be fine. I'm putting on 275/70/18s on my HE next week. If I don't like the stance I'd not hesitate to put Bora spacers on.

I know discount tire won't touch my wheels on my 470 because of the spacers. I just use an indy shop that specializes in Toyota vehicles and have never had an issue.

I searched and read every post on wheel spacers, but I'm still conflicted

I put on 275 65 R18 (32.1") Toyo Open Country AT3s on my 2019 LC200. Went with the SLs over LTs because we don't have a need for the additional weight capacity and the trade offs in terms of ride harshness, MPG, and rubbing issues didn't seem worth it for our anticipated needs. Additionally Toyo was on backorder for all other variants except the SLs (I was considering 285 65 18 as well).

One thing I didn't consider is aesthetics. The tire looks a little small, but I can live with that. It's the offset that's bothersome. Wife called the truck "anorexic" lol. The fenders jut out at least an inch or so over the tires.

I'm thinking about putting on wheel spacers to improve the stance a bit. Based on my research here and elsewhere I've identified the following pros and cons:

Cons
  • Adding strain to wheel bearings - this article makes them out to be a fairly bad idea
  • Rubbing and requiring trimming
  • Tire shops won't service or rotate / will have to handle maintenance on my own
  • Decrease in handling and turning radius
Pros
  • Better stance, not being made fun of by wife (as much)
  • Since I'm running taller and skinnier tires over stock, I suspect that spacers will help make up for the reduced scrub radius, thus evening out the handling. I suspect this advantage will be miniscule..
The cons seem to out weigh the pros in this case especially as I will be traveling a lot for work assignments and won't have tools readily available to do my own rotations. Can anyone here weigh in on their experiences running wheel spacers for stock suspension setup? Any advice for my situation?

As I see it...1) put on spacers 2) swap tires 3) learn to love it...guess it comes down to how vain I want to be. Here are some pics of the truck and tires:
View attachment 2668889View attachment 2668890
Depends on where you're at.. I've never had issues with my spacer in regards to a shop or something not doing work. Discount Tire has done install with spacers for me no problem and I believe I even had the dealership do a rotation one time while I was getting an alignment with no complaint.

I don't think you'd have rubbing that would require trimming with that size tire

What size spacers are you looking at? I’m about to install the factory leveling kit and some 285/70/18’s on my 2009 and I definitely need to do something about that anorexic stance!

I think 1” or maybe even less would be enough.

Thanks all for your takes.
What size spacers are you looking at? I’m about to install the factory leveling kit and some 285/70/18’s on my 2009 and I definitely need to do something about that anorexic stance!

I think 1” or maybe even less would be enough.
I am thinking 1.25” because that’s what I see here but I will measure the current inset with a yardstick and tape measure to see if that would make things flush.

I think it may be more than a looks/aesthetics issue. Look around here for scrub radius discussions. They’re really relevant to spacer decisions.

I had a buddy put them on to help keep rude people from slamming there doors into fenders and Quarter panels they would hit the tires first when his wife was using his 200 as a mall crawler .
You can get into alinement / steering / tire wear .

I was running OEM (+65) wheels with 275/70/18s and 1.25” Spidertrax. Had to remove the front mud flaps to avoid constant rubbing. No lift.

Ended up getting some Icon wheels (+25) and ditching the spacers. My stance is even more aggressive now. My ride feels so much more smooth too with less road feedback from the steering wheel after ditching the Spidertrax. Avoiding spacers in the future. Others here say they noticed zero difference with spacers but for me it was night and day without them.

my advice is only do 275/70s with a an aftermarket wheel with +25 - +35 offset. Otherwise stick to 285/60 or 285/65.

I was running OEM (+65) wheels with 275/70/18s and 1.25” Spidertrax. Had to remove the front mud flaps to avoid constant rubbing. No lift.

Ended up getting some Icon wheels (+25) and ditching the spacers. My stance is even more aggressive now. My ride feels so much more smooth too with less road feedback from the steering wheel after ditching the Spidertrax. Avoiding spacers in the future. Others here say they noticed zero difference with spacers but for me it was night and day without them.

my advice is only do 275/70s with a an aftermarket wheel with +25 - +35 offset. Otherwise stick to 285/60 or 285/65.
What 275/70s were you running?

Have the spidertrax 1.25" spacers on my LX. Stock 20" wheels, slightly bigger 275/60R20 KO2s. Put a little under 10k on it since throwing them on and haven't had any issues.
Turning radius seemed to be only slightly impacted. It's not like the 200s can turn on a dime stock, so that never bothered me. Ride quality is unchanged. Discount tire rotates my tires no problems with them on, at least they haven't said anything about them. Had to trim the front mudflaps (most just remove them entirely) and remove whatever those square plastic pieces are attached to the fender liner. Still had a slight rubbing full lock turning right, which went away after replacing my bumper. Rubbed somewhere on the front liner.
Makes the wheels almost flush with the fenders. They're worth it IMO.
PXL_20210317_165023771.jpg

Still have them, Ridge Grapplers
Just ordered a set of Spidertrax 1.25" spacers for my 2008 LX570 running 275/70/18 Toyo OC AT3 tires on HE wheels. Hoping for the best with no rubbing issues.

Just ordered a set of Spidertrax 1.25" spacers for my 2008 LX570 running 275/70/18 Toyo OC AT3 tires on HE wheels. Hoping for the best with no rubbing issues.
Just a quick tip, be sure to re-torque settings on the SpiderTrax spacers after a 100 miles or so.

Did anyone calculate what is thinnest spacers you can put on with HE wheels without modifying wheels studs? It seems 1.25" will put wheels with fender which means chip rocks over time. So I want a wider stance without overlapping fender and beyond but I want to make sure studs still fit the dimples in the back of the wheel. Based on my calculations 0.75-1.00" spacers would be ideal.

No issue with rock chipping with 1.25” spacers for me on two different 200 series rigs.

Did anyone calculate what is thinnest spacers you can put on with HE wheels without modifying wheels studs? It seems 1.25" will put wheels with fender which means chip rocks over time. So I want a wider stance without overlapping fender and beyond but I want to make sure studs still fit the dimples in the back of the wheel. Based on my calculations 0.75-1.00" spacers would be ideal.

The backside of the BBS wheels have indentations where you should be able to run a 1" spacer. Mine will go on next week so remind me and I'll report back.

*cough* Remind... *cough*
Hey man! I made a whole thread on this actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom