Anyone Running the Victory 4x4 Gas Tank Skid? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there!

New to the site, just purchased an '04 LC and sold my '01 4Runner. I have used MUD frequently in the past for troubleshooting, but am happy to be over here full time now :cool:

I am replacing my fuel tank due to rust, and in the process will need a new fuel tank skid plate. I have searched high and low for a bargain on a stock one, but can't seem to justify the new or used prices on them after shipping... The ASFIR skids look great, but require a stock skid to mount to, and mine has seen better days. This leads me to the Victory 4x4 skid.

Has anyone run this skid before?

My personal thinking so far:
Pros -
  • Less than $400 powdercoated and shipped
  • Better protection than stock, doesn't transfer shock onto the tank during an impact (not wheeling hard, but willing to take the added protection)
  • Leaves some more 'breathing room' to assist in cleaning and salt/mud removal, rust mitigation is a high priority for me
  • It is not integrated with the tank/straps, so I can install the tank now, then install the skid at a later date with no added hassle
Cons -
  • Not fond of drilling into my frame in multiple locations to mount it. While it isn't a dealbreaker, it is less than ideal.
If anyone else has used this skid or has thoughts on the frame drilling aspect, let me know! I will likely pull the trigger on it soon, as the tank is in my garage already and I would love to get the ball rolling on the rest of the project (knowing that there will likely be a 1+ month wait before it ships).

Thanks!

I’m not keen on drilling holes either but honestly, it’s just metal and can be welded back up easily if absolutely needed.

I am in the unique (self inflicted stupidity) situation where I have a n ASFIR aluminum fuel tank skid and didn't realize before ordering it that the stock skid must be retained (mine is garbage). The return shipping to Israel would probably not be cheap, so I need to either get a decent stock skid, or come up with some brackets similar to what Victory has done here. If you do end up getting the Victory skid please post up some pics of the kit.

I’m not keen on drilling holes either but honestly, it’s just metal and can be welded back up easily if absolutely needed.
That was my thought as well. While I know that it doesn't effect the integrity of the frame in a meaningful way, and I trust Victory as a reputable shop to design the mounting points thoughtfully, I don't love the idea... At the end of the day, it's a 20yr old truck and, as you said, any modification can be undone.

I am in the unique (self inflicted stupidity) situation where I have a n ASFIR aluminum fuel tank skid and didn't realize before ordering it that the stock skid must be retained (mine is garbage). The return shipping to Israel would probably not be cheap, so I need to either get a decent stock skid, or come up with some brackets similar to what Victory has done here. If you do end up getting the Victory skid please post up some pics of the kit.
Will do! I have actually been hoping to see an update from you, as I purchased the same RockAuto fuel tank. The OEM tank was simply cost prohibitive for what it is. Any surprises when installing that RockAuto tank? Will likely drop mine this weekend and begin prepping the new one for install so long as the weather holds out OK. Thanks!

With regards to ASFIR vs Victory for others in our situation (tank is out regardless, but OEM skid is out of reach) the Victory seems like the better answer for only $60 more post-shipping. The only caveat being if you don't like drilling holes in your frame :cautious:

That was my thought as well. While I know that it doesn't effect the integrity of the frame in a meaningful way, and I trust Victory as a reputable shop to design the mounting points thoughtfully, I don't love the idea... At the end of the day, it's a 20yr old truck and, as you said, any modification can be undone.

Will do! I have actually been hoping to see an update from you, as I purchased the same RockAuto fuel tank. The OEM tank was simply cost prohibitive for what it is. Any surprises when installing that RockAuto tank? Will likely drop mine this weekend and begin prepping the new one for install so long as the weather holds out OK. Thanks!

With regards to ASFIR vs Victory for others in our situation (tank is out regardless, but OEM skid is out of reach) the Victory seems like the better answer for only $60 more post-shipping. The only caveat being if you don't like drilling holes in your frame :cautious:
I'll let you know how it goes, should be installing the tank tonight.

Didn’t quite make it. I did finish the new brake lines to rear. Ran one fuel line and realized I was not going to have enough and called it quits around 2 AM
Good luck! Glad you at least made some progress on the brake and fuel lines.

Today I am painting my gas tank while the weather is warm. I was hoping to install this weekend, but received an email from the dealership stating that there's an additional 1 week wait for some parts in my order including my new rollover vent tube and valve. This means that my install will be pushed to next weekend at the earliest. At worst, the project will take place after Thanksgiving, at which point I will be working on snow and ice which is never ideal. Baby steps here!

Looking forward to hearing how the tail end of your install goes. Assuming that yours and mine go smoothly, it would be good to document that (even just briefly) so that others can be confident the RockAuto tank is a viable substitute.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom