Anyone Running Mini P/S with 36x12.5? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ran factory FJ40 power steering (same as mini-truck basically) with 36x14.50 tires for years. This is with no front locker. It was great on the road but not too helpful sitting still or in the rocks. The weak link was the center arm and the tie rods. I had a pile of center arms laying around and I'd switch them out when one got loose and I bent a stock tie rod pretty much every time I wheeled.

I've since switched to Scout PS and the 4x4 Labs steering arms. For your use I'd go Saginaw.

Cost/availability of parts, having something that friends would have spares for, etc. Also I've gotta get something done about my pitman not even 2" of flex and it's bound on the springs. It worked great when I first installed it but it just isn't going to do what I want in the end so I'll swap in some saginaw stuff and call it good. This rig seems to be "to do it right you gotta do it twice :doh:

Ive read at least a million opinions on this, Im gonna end up running the mini ps on my rig with 35's because of the pto winch. I formed the opinion for just light off road like good trails or just hunting or something like that the mini ps would be fine. Anything tough, though its probably not gonna take it, alot of premature wear if nothing else. Its been a while since I read up on the scout or 60 ps but if I remember right it seems like you have to change shock struts on one and/or move the radiatior over. Im not game for either, I dont want my stuff jack around like that. You may not have to do that anymore, its been a long time since I researched it. Again just my opinion of what I feel would work best for me, were all different.

i Did the 60 swap myself and would never go back i think it is by far the best while also keepin it toyoda

Ive read at least a million opinions on this, Im gonna end up running the mini ps on my rig with 35's because of the pto winch. I formed the opinion for just light off road like good trails or just hunting or something like that the mini ps would be fine. Anything tough, though its probably not gonna take it, alot of premature wear if nothing else. Its been a while since I read up on the scout or 60 ps but if I remember right it seems like you have to change shock struts on one and/or move the radiatior over. Im not game for either, I dont want my stuff jack around like that. You may not have to do that anymore, its been a long time since I researched it. Again just my opinion of what I feel would work best for me, were all different.

Lots of guys on here run it with 35's. I can't comment on how it works.

I tore the center arm off my '74 after just a few months and two wheeling trips with 38's and minitruck P/S.
IMG_4086 (Medium).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom