Anyone running an external tranny filter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I use them on some of my other vehicles to avoid having to drop the pan for filter replacement. I am thinking about using the same "Ford" (yeah, I know....I used the "f" word) "in line" tranny filter as I have on my Bronco.. on the Cruiser to add an extra layer of filtration and to extend the period of time before dropping the pan and cleaning the screen.

Any reasons I'm not aware of.. that it couldn't/shouldn't be done on a Cruiser?

Thats the baby!

RavenTai said:
Does the F-word filter look something like this?

http://www.emergingent.com/subpage1Magnefine.htm

I have heard Ford uses these but still un-confirmed.

Thats exactly what I run. I have the Ford part #'s for the kit or the filter by itself if anyones interested. The filter is about $18.00 at my dealer....I change it out about every 40.000 miles. The AOD in my full size has 170,000 miles on it and so far no problems. Thats a lot of life for a "F" type tranny. I keep the fluids changed regularly though, and have a large aftermarket cooler on it.

This is sounds like a cool idea Raventai, you can install the filter in front of the oil cooler and attach it on the return line. The filter can be installed using MS or an AN clamp closer to the return line to ensure there is no sharp bend on the oil cooler return hose. This is a good supplemental filtration.

Thats the baby!

edit:duplicate

Last edited:
flint, can please you show us some picture of the way your filter was installed in the truck? thanks.

4x4CPOSEADOG said:
flint, can please you show us some picture of the way your filter was installed in the truck? thanks.

Nope, digital camera went with daughter when she moved out (college). I can explain it to you though. Understand... that this installation is on a Bronco but on a Cruiser you'd just have to find a suitable mounting spot (one that protects the filter and allows easy access for changing it out.

I installed a large "Hayden" tranny cooler in place of the wimpy Ford factory cooler and simply put the filter in line with the return hose (to the trans.) and mounted it behind the bumper on part of framework that supports the radiator. I used a large insulated mounting clamp (like you see for wire looms, only bigger). In many cases you could just leave it unsupported (if it was on a short run of the line). I chose to mount mine because I left an extra 18" of hose to do fluid changes with.

My Cruiser has a return line that is roughly 1/2" OD. so the Ford part # for that application is:

For the Kit: 2W4Z-7B155-CA.............or for the filter alone: 2W4P-7B155-BA.

The kit comes with full instructions, diagram, etc...

on their website they suggest also that it can be used on power steering lines

hmmmm.......

magnefineinstallation.jpg

Got it, thanks. I thought this filter was installed on your cruiser.

Those are pretty good in line filters. I have been debating on putting one on the PS return, have not got to it yet. the magnet is nice but more importantly it has a bypass valve, should the filter become plugged the fluid will still flow, filtered oil is better than dirty oil BUT dirty oil is better than no oil. Also guarantee’s fluid flow when the fluid is cold preventing a build up of pressure that could damage up stream lines and components.

If you install one of these put it before the cooler(s), as it is best to filter fluids when they are at their hottest point. When the fluid is cooled its viscosity increases making it somewhat more difficult to push through a filter.

The PS lines are 10MM, 3/8 hose is going to be slightly tight going over 10MM metal line, going the other way, putting 3/8 line into 10mm hose may not be as reliable, 3/8”=.375”=0.9525mm

I would think the transmission lines are 10mm also but have not measured

Going for AN or MS fitting requires an adapter to 10mm hose/line. Are those available?

4x4CPOSEADOG are you an AMT? I have never heard someone use the phrase “MS fitting” who is not. AN gets wide use in racing circles but have not seen much MS (MS is better IMO) when I asked for them in a Parker store the guy who should be well versed in fittings had no idea, I had to give him a part #.

edited to clarify / elaborate

Raven

I agree - mount the filter "pre cooler" if the cooler is new, but what about when adding the filter in 2005 to our 1995 trucks.... you have a decades worth of crap that has already started to settle out in the tranny cooler or the PS cooler.....

that is an assumption though - do we have crap building up in the tranny cooler or do the surfactants in the ATF keep it all rolling happily along ?

no matter where it is located, seems like cheap & quick & worthwhile

Last edited:
As long as the fluid was kept up and never oxidized the cooler and lines should be perfectly clean inside, these are often installed when replacing a bad transmission, when the transmission dies it can load up the fluid in the cooler with metal during its death throws. This can cause problem with the new transmission so the filter is put in post filter to prevent problems. In our case where it is PM it would be best before the cooler. From what I have seen most of the junk settles out in the pan where the fluid is relatively still. In other placed the moving fluid keeps the junk moving.

Not sure on the 80 but generally the cooler return go straight to the pan so the fluid will be screened by the internal filter before use anyway.

RavenTai said:
If you install one of these put it before the cooler(s), as it is best to filter fluids when they are at their hottest point. When the fluid is cooled its viscosity increases making it somewhat more difficult to push through a filter. #.

Where I live.. this will probably never be an issue, for those who live in colder climates it might be something to consider.

Something to think about though... if the filter is installed (pre-cooler) and fluid viscosity is such that the filter bypasses for awhile...then contaminants can reach the cooler anyway. Probably the best solution would be to remove and flush the cooler before installation of the kit.

I would just mount it in a spot that allows for protection of the filter and provides easy access when ready to change it out. Also, this will be the spot that you'll want to do "fluid changes" from in the future.

The way I do it is to take out the old filter, cap off the line going to the tranny, drop the line coming from the cooler down below the bumper and attach a 4' length of old air hose with a barb fitting on it to the cooler line. I extend this out to the side of the vehicle and place the end in a pan so I can see when the fluid stops and can shut off the vehicle.

Just add fluid back in (to match the amount pumped out), keep doing this until good red, fresh, fluid shows in the pan.. then install a new filter and top off the fluid.

Upon inspection..the only thing I've ever seen come from the filter are very small brass colored particles that are suspended in the fluid. Kind of looks like metal flake paint only really small particles.

It definitely keeps the tranny. pan and filter cleaner though. Very little of that "dark film" that collects in the bottom of the pan. I just don't like dropping pans, and this was the main reason I put one on the Ford....but I think I'm going to install one on the Cruiser too.

Originally posted by Raventai
4x4CPOSEADOG are you an AMT? I have never heard someone use the phrase “MS fitting” who is not. AN gets wide use in racing circles but have not seen much MS (MS is better IMO) when I asked for them in a Parker store the guy who should be well versed in fittings had no idea, I had to give him a part #.

If AMT means Aviation Maintenance Technician, then I consider myself as one of them. I'm an aviation machinist's mate in the Navy and dealing with all Naval aircraft propulsion system and related components. I just don't have my A&P license yet though. I know you are in the aviation fields, rigth?

AMT is the gay way of saying aircraft mech

I put a ford type remote filter bracket in series before my trany cooler on my 96 lx450. (the bracket is a transdapt part) i use a wic hydrol filter on the mount. (wic part # 51622 which has a 7-9 psi bypass pressure)
you can see a pic of the mount/filter if you search my post entitled "slider build pics"

I have had the filter in place many thousands of miles. I change it once a year.

4x4CPOSEADOG said:
If AMT means Aviation Maintenance Technician, then I consider myself as one of them. I'm an aviation machinist's mate in the Navy and dealing with all Naval aircraft propulsion system and related components. I just don't have my A&P license yet though. I know you are in the aviation fields, rigth?

yep, I work with a guy who was in your field, took several westpac's on the Carl Vincient (I think?) after getting out he tested out on his A&P, the 2K hour school time requirement was waved. but jobs are not looking that good right now.

instigator said:
AMT is the gay way of saying aircraft mech

good point. :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom