Anyone running a Delta rear bumper on their 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to decide between that and Slee. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Trying to decide between that and Slee. Any feedback would be appreciated.

@Dirty Koala has both, he might be able to offer some input
I have the “legacy” Slee rear bumper on one of my 80’s and a pretty kitted out Delta on my other 80.

Both are built very well and are in a league above everything else on the market.

The delta has more complex angles which adds to the aesthetics in my opinion. The latching mechanisms are also very different between the two. The legacy Slee just used SouthCo latches which are what they are. The newer Slee has a redesigned single large handle which is better than the southco latches. The Delta paddle latches are the easiest to use (both opening and closing. You can actually close the delta latches with your foot, which I often do when I have stuff in my hands or just don’t feel like bending over.

The delta is the most modular in nature when it comes to adding accessories. I am currently running a spare tire carrier, ladder, hinges ladder cover with two nato can holders, propane tank, shovel mount, two flip up tables and 2 drop in burners...and I regularly use all of those accessories so very functional.

On my Slee I have a spare tire carrier, ladder that holds 3 Jerry cans, but can’t use the ladder as a ladder when the jetties are on.

I also recently bought a Slee hitch (same one I have in my Slee bumper) and installed it in my delta bumper...so yes you can have a solid hitch in the delta.

I have the “legacy” Slee rear bumper on one of my 80’s and a pretty kitted out Delta on my other 80.

Both are built very well and are in a league above everything else on the market.

The delta has more complex angles which adds to the aesthetics in my opinion. The latching mechanisms are also very different between the two. The legacy Slee just used SouthCo latches which are what they are. The newer Slee has a redesigned single large handle which is better than the southco latches. The Delta paddle latches are the easiest to use (both opening and closing. You can actually close the delta latches with your foot, which I often do when I have stuff in my hands or just don’t feel like bending over.

The delta is the most modular in nature when it comes to adding accessories. I am currently running a spare tire carrier, ladder, hinges ladder cover with two nato can holders, propane tank, shovel mount, two flip up tables and 2 drop in burners...and I regularly use all of those accessories so very functional.

On my Slee I have a spare tire carrier, ladder that holds 3 Jerry cans, but can’t use the ladder as a ladder when the jetties are on.

I also recently bought a Slee hitch (same one I have in my Slee bumper) and installed it in my delta bumper...so yes you can have a solid hitch in the delta.

Thank you so much! This was really helpful. Just ordered the delta (fingers crossed). Doing the hitch too.

slee is built like a tank. been smashed into rocks, rear ended ect and other than scratches looks great.

I am running the Delta rear. Nothing but respect for Slee, but in my opinion, the Delta is simply at another level. The level of engineering and design on the Delta bumper is really extraordinary. Tolerance is spot on. It’s clear that this was a fully CAD designed piece of kit. It’s extremely robust , yet extremely efficient (read: strong + light). But the swing outs and their patented latches as what sets the standard IMO. It’s effortless to open and close the swing outs, even with the weight of a 100lb spare tire. On washboard or broken roads, there’s absolutely zero rattle. Plus it’s almost limitlessly configurable.

I will also be copying @Dirty Koala with the addition of a Slee hitch on my Delta bumper.

Overall, I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone who owns the Delta rear bumper that regrets the purchase. It’s worth the money.

If I pick up a 3rd 80 I might consider a Delta if they start adding quarter panel protection as an option. Extremely happy with my Slee bumper’s and just love how they look.
D9DA2D33-0231-4259-B0FA-2948A9BED6DC.jpeg
8E532986-159B-4BAC-B912-3A1087F357CF.jpeg

I have DVS front and rear but no Slee. I have had new school and old school 4X4 labs front and rears and seen Slee rear in person. If you got the money to spend, nothing comes close to the DVS rear. Looks, function, ease of access. I don't mind flinging 5 gallon buckets full of hundreds at my cruiser as long as I get top of the line equipment and service. I got both and am very pleased a year later.

Delta builds fine products. But if I were to choose I’d pick Slee. Pretty tight fit without cutting the rear crossmember, if you don’t mind cutting go with the labs. The back end is already big to begin with.

Just got my delta and I USED it on the trail this past weekend. No rattles. The bumper is stout. I am very happy with my choice. Very easy install. Followed instructions. No issues.

How long did it take to get? Looks like I am doing my first trip without it.

How long did it take to get? Looks like I am doing my first trip without it.
I ordered it in February, I was quoted 3-5 weeks but his metal ship was 4 weeks behind so I got it 2 weeks ago and got it installed 3 days before my trip. Haha talk about cutting it close. Glad I had it. I would have destroyed my rear end without it. It performed flawlessly. Everything is still right and not a single rattle and the tire carrier/swing out works as advertised. Very easy to use and does not rattle a bit. Well worth the money I paid.

It's pretty awesome that we have (at least) two Great options for front and rear bumpers for the 80 Series, a vehicle Toyota stopped making over 25 years ago. Both the Delta and the new Slee bumpers are superb quality.

Other bumper options have their virtues, too, but those two are on a different level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom