Anyone run your Espar or Webasto with Evans waterless coolant? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondering if anyone on here is using the Evans waterless coolant with their Espar or Webasto? Last spring my Espar was giving me trouble so I removed it and sent it to the local dealer. They did a tune up but did not find anything really wrong. Ran on their test bench. This summer I replaced my coolant to the Evans Waterless Coolant trying to fix a over heating issue. I then installed the Espar this fall and it keeps tripping the F14 fault code (overheat). But if I run the engine first then turn it on it will run just find. So I figured it must be a fuel delivery issue. So this past week I plumbed the fuel direct to the front tank. I had it in the garage for 3 days and every day I started it and it ran just fine. So, I figured I fixed the problem put it outside last Thursday and tried starting it today. It's been in the 10'sF at night and low 20's F during the day. No go F14. I removed the intake hose try it - F14. Removed exhaust tube-F14. cranked engine for 30 seconds-F14. So, now I am wondering if the Evans gets "thick" at colder temps even though it is suppose to be good to -40F. I would hate to dump all that money for the Evans, even though I have fixed my overheating issue so I don't really need it anymore for that, but would suck to dump it and put in Toyota red just to not fix the issue. The heater I first had problems with I have had for about 7yrs in different trucks. I got a brand new one and it is still doing the same thing. I have a 2H turbo'd in a 75, the turbo is also water cooled and I got a custom radiator that is 2" longer on the bottom so I have a little more fluid quantity from original.

I have a 12HT and I installed a Webasto a few years ago. It worked fine until I overheated it trying to run it with a mudblocked
exhaust. STUPID! But it was about -15C and I'd just driven 500 km of the Dempster and I was tired and it was late from long days
driving.
Anyway, I pulled it out and sent it away for bench testing. It had a fuel code in the computer and they deleted it and sent it
back. When I reinstalled it last fall I installed Evans coolant. I was really particular about flushing and removing air bubbles etc.
By my guess I was within .2 litre of system capacity.
It seems to work okay so far. I've only used it down as low as -5C and it has no issues. I can say I have a T off of the fuel line right along the
frame rail beside the engine. I also replaced both the pump and the filter with new as I wasnt' sure the pump wasn't buggered and
I didn't want to do everything twice, just seemed worth the money to be sure. I should have bench tested the old pump after but
I didn't. The Evans shouldn't 'gel' on you or cause any issues. Not from what I read. You could call Evans Tech line and ask them
if there is any kind of issue at sub zero temps but I wouldn't think so.
Don't know if this helps. I'm not home for a couple of weeks so I can't do anything else

So, I just got off the phone with Tech support for Evans. Bad news is that this coolant's Viscosity thickens up as the temp drops. They did test Evans being used in Espar and Webasto heaters and they failed. So, I guess I get to dump my expensive coolant and go back to regular coolant.

So, I just got off the phone with Tech support for Evans. Bad news is that this coolant's Viscosity thickens up as the temp drops. They did test Evans being used in Espar and Webasto heaters and they failed. So, I guess I get to dump my expensive coolant and go back to regular coolant.
This seems like a massive flaw with the Evans product that I have never heard about until today. Very interesting.

He said the problem with the Espar/Webasto is the small coolant line in/out of the unit and the length of this line until it enters the engine, like in my application I have close to 6ft (12ft total) of 5/8" (?) hose. So the heater can't push the "thickening" coolant fast enough as it is heated at the heater to prevent over heating in the heater unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom