Anyone run a non lifted 40 with 265/75r16? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening everyone,

I have been looking for threads on the tire size 265/75r16 on a non lifted fj40. I have found a few other people that have asked about them as well, but I haven’t found exactly what I’m looking for.
Does anyone run this tire? If nobody does, why? I have 16” Vintiques and no lift on my FJ. I would like to get the 235/85r16 that so many people talk about, but have decided that I want to stay in the “C” or “D” ply rating instead of going with an”E”. I have found 265/75r16 in “C” ply and I think that I would be happy with them (at least for the time being).

Could someone please tell me if these will fit on my 1971stock 40 with Vintiques 16x7 4” bs wheels. I just want to make sure they won’t rub before I spend a lot of money to have them shipped.

Also, if anyone has a pic of their rig with 265/85r40, I’d love to see it.

Thank you all as always.

On paper 265/75r16 are 31.4” x 10.4”. Do you know what size the tires you are looking at actually measure out at?

31x10.50 tires are commonly run on stock height rigs. It might be useful for others to know what size they are in inches.

Not a 40, but my old 45. The tray had a bit of a lift but the tub was at stock height. The wheels and tyres on this are toyota hilux steelies with 265/75r16. No rubbing from the tyres at all. Hope this helps.
20200104_034138.jpg

Bikersmurf, It says they are 31.6”x10.5” in the specifications section. I think that is where I am getting a bit nervous about it. I am not sure how how close the people that run a 31x10.5x15 end up being to the vehicle. Also will the wheel being a 16x7 with 4 inch BS change anything.

Also, Vossie, that is a nice looking rig. I like that a lot. And that makes me feel better about the tires fitting.

Bikersmurf, It says they are 31.6”x10.5” in the specifications section. I think that is where I am getting a bit nervous about it. I am not sure how how close the people that run a 31x10.5x15 end up being to the vehicle. Also will the wheel being a 16x7 with 4 inch BS change anything.

Also, Vossie, that is a nice looking rig. I like that a lot. And that makes me feel better about the tires fitting.
Thanks very much. Not sure about your side of the world, but 265/75r16 is one of the most common sizes down our way. I run that size on my wife's surf, they're on my mom's kdj95 prado, on my dad's LN160 hilux, and I'm planning on using that size of my upcoming 45 IFS build.

One thing I do know is you can get away with a lot of tyre depending on your rims. Offset can make the world of the difference

They don’t seem to be very popular on FJ’s over here (at least not many people have responded to this.)

I am pretty new to the FJ family. Wanted one since I was a teenager and just recently got one.

I Wasn’t sure what a surf, Prada, and LN160 Hilux we’re so I looked them up.

I think the size is somewhat popular with other vehicles here. I found nice ones for a good price. Just nervous about having them sent to me, then finding out they don’t quite fit. Do you know the dimensions of your wheel? The ones I have are 16x7 with a 4 inch back space. Is there a decent amount of space when you turn your wheel all the way left and right?

Thanks again. Sorry to be a bother. Maybe I should throw this ion the tires and wheels forum as well.

They don’t seem to be very popular on FJ’s over here (at least not many people have responded to this.)

I am pretty new to the FJ family. Wanted one since I was a teenager and just recently got one.

I Wasn’t sure what a surf, Prada, and LN160 Hilux we’re so I looked them up.

I think the size is somewhat popular with other vehicles here. I found nice ones for a good price. Just nervous about having them sent to me, then finding out they don’t quite fit. Do you know the dimensions of your wheel? The ones I have are 16x7 with a 4 inch back space. Is there a decent amount of space when you turn your wheel all the way left and right?

Thanks again. Sorry to be a bother. Maybe I should throw this ion the tires and wheels forum as well.
Haha, sorry for throwing around all the jargon then ;)
Unfortunately I don't have access to those wheels or my old 45 anymore. Sold it a while back, hence the new build, but I'm still a while a way from having the tub on the frame and even then I'm not using a 40 frame so my dimensions will be well off.
IMHO, they should be fine. As long as you don't have a massive inwards offset. But I get that you want to be sure, I would as well.
Do you have the option of taking the 40 to a wheel shop and test fitting?

That’s a good idea. I’m not sure any of the shops would do that. Maybe I will try. Thanks.

You will kiss your rear wheelwells for sure. And with stock springs, you can’t even try to stop it with bump stop extensions, because in all likelihood , you only have an inch between the axle and the stop now.

Last edited:
Have to agree with Mark. Pretty sure these are stock 265x75x16s on stock 3rd gen 4Runner rims. Using them as rollers on an non opt 79 project. A PO trimmed the wheel well and cut enough. Tires fit fine with cut wheel wells. But wouldn't with stock wheel wells. On the passenger side can see the angle of the rear shackle. This are not worn springs.
IMG_20190822_190216083.jpg
IMG_20190822_185941082.jpg

Thanks all. I just bought some used 30x9.5x15 tires until I figure out what my next move is. I have these 16” Vintiques but am having trouble finding C-ply tires that will fit. My original 15x5.5 wheels pretty much won’t accommodate bigger than a 30x9.5x15 (I know everyone says I can get 31x10.5x15 on them safely, but places around here won’t mount them). I would consider getting a set of 15x7” wheels, but can’t find any with correct backspacing. Sheesh. It has been a frustrating few weeks for a new FJ owner. Still glad I got it though wanted one of these since I was a teenager). These (new to me) used tires will last me a while and give me time to figure things out. Thanks again for the info. You guys are and have all been a great resource.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom