anyone run a electric speedo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i've been browsing around summit for a couple minutes after ordering a new aluminum rad. and was wondering if anyone was using what seems to be an electric speedometer...

they come with the digital sender that connects to the normal speedo cable which is usually a short speedo cable no more then 8 inches long...(and i'm sure it would be easy to make fit with a yota case) and i guess the sender just converts it to pulses it and sends it to the speedometer ( usually around 8000 per mile or something)

reason i ask is because i'm not currently running a speedo and i'm always up for trying a new idea

Last edited:
What I've also wondered if you could use the VSS that came on 76 cruisers. I've got that box on mine on the pass fire wall. I wonder if it is possible to get it to do the same thing?

man this thread just made my day...I ignorantly bought a stewart warner electric spedo...then to later relize that stewart warner doesnt sell a conversion to electric for the yota transfercase..

guess marlin crawler ssaves the day!

haha glad i could be of some use... i thought the VSS gave the ECU (on ECU equipped vehicles the general speed to adjust the settings on certian things, not to tell the speedo how fast your going but i'm not sure i was just guessing)

and i doub't you could use the cruisers VSS because just like a fuel sending unit where you have to match up the OHMs at empty and full to the guage on the dash, now i'm assuming with the electric speedo you'd have to match up the pulses per mile with that which the speedo guage reads...

Didn't know if a cruiser vss used pulses to determine speed. Another use would be a better place to mount the neww vss to and get it away from the bottom of the t-case. Shorter wire run.

A friend of mine used an auto meter one of on a 68 camaro. They supposedly work with any pulsed signal. He calibrated it with some sequence of pushing the trip meter, driving a specific distance, then pushing it again.

I use my GPS :grinpimp:

Seriously, the last time I had to keep tabs on my speed my wife held the GPS for the 12 mile trip into Tillamook from Sand Lake. I actually calibrate my other vehicles with it. My speedo cable isn't connected to my np205...could be but I don't wanna pay for the conversion box.

I also recently spotted one where you put a sensor on the driveline? and the unit mounts in/on the dash. Seems to work pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom