Anyone regret/dislike there rear swing out carrier? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Came across this thread after doing a Google search for gas struts used on swing out tire carriers. Good info. Will be refurbishing a first gen Slee rear bumper c/w tire carrier I picked up last weekend. Will be adding gas strut or damper (now that I have read this thread), rear work light, and positive latch mechanism. Have reservations about visibility, rear accessibility, and durability (resulting from vibration). As others others have said, I don't see any other option for a full size spare (315 for me).

After I started this thread and read through it I was convinced I didn't want a swing out. But then I just orders d a 4x4 double swing out anyway.

I don't regret it. My wife never complained about it either.

I am trying to find out a better (easier) way to get the spare tire up there without breaking my back. I thought 33's are heavy, until I tried a 35". I would rather drag it behind the truck than attempt to get it up on the tire carrier.

I am trying to find out a better (easier) way to get the spare tire up there without breaking my back. I thought 33's are heavy, until I tried a 35". I would rather drag it behind the truck than attempt to get it up on the tire carrier.
A helper works. If I can't get a helper I balance it onto my floor jack and hoist it up. Then it's pretty easy.

:meh:

Bounce it! :hillbilly:

I regret my double swingouts but all is well after the addition of double gull-wing window popouts from LCP that replace the slider windows. Ironpig off-road with the 4x4Labs dual swingout carriers, probably the best way to carry a spare without adding a trailer for when you don't want it underneath. (Also gives you flexibility for individual setups.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom