Anyone recognize this not transfer case sound (FJ62)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry for the hijack, but I would like to clarify. There are a few posts saying the transfer case is not rotating when the truck is stopped. I know the OP didn't say he put the transfer case in neutral or anything, but won't the PTO drive gear at least work (rotate) with the truck in a drive gear but the transfer case in Neutral? I guess technically these are connected to the transmission output shaft, but the gears are inside the transfer case.

I appreciate all the input honestly. Although I legitmately have no clue how to start ruling some of the suggestions out.

My 1000 dollar Cruiser is turning into a 10000 dollar one...

Everything.png

As far as I know when the truck is idling and in park nothing is moving in the transmission or transfer case. the sound has to be coming from
somewhere under the hood. Strike that....I guess the torque converter is spinning.
✌️ :beer:

Transmission in park/neutral, transfer case in gear, vehicle NOT moving:
- All components in transfer case, including PTO gear, are stationary
- Transmission torque converter, transmission pump, and input shaft components freely turning, everything else stationary.

Transmission in drive, transfer case in gear, vehicle NOT moving:
- All components inside transmission EXCEPT for torque converter and transmission pump are stationary

Transmission in drive, transfer case in neutral, vehicle NOT moving:
- All components inside transfer case moving, EXCEPT the front/rear output shafts
- Most components inside transmission are turning (not all components in an automatic spin in all gears).

Transmission in neutral, transfer case in neutral, vehicle NOT moving:
- All components inside transfer case moving, EXCEPT the front/rear output shafts
- Some components in transmission moving due to mechanical/fluid friction. Will also cause transfer case components to rotate if transfer case is in neutral.

So far
Transmission in park/neutral, transfer case in gear, vehicle NOT moving:
- Transmission torque converter, transmission pump, and input shaft components freely turning, everything else stationary.

Transmission in drive, transfer case in gear, vehicle NOT moving:
- All components inside transmission EXCEPT for torque converter and transmission pump are stationary

Transmission in drive, transfer case in neutral, vehicle NOT moving:
- Most components inside transmission are turning (not all components in an automatic spin in all gears).

Transmission in neutral, transfer case in neutral, vehicle NOT moving:
- Some components in transmission moving due to mechanical/fluid friction. Will also cause transfer case components to rotate if transfer case is in neutral.
I guess I need to test this: get it up to temp to where I can hear it, put transmission in neutral, transfer case in neutral, vehicle NOT moving: if it stops, its possibly the torque converter, transmission pump, and input shaft components.

All options kind of suck tbh, except the pump. Maybe.

So far

I guess I need to test this: get it up to temp to where I can hear it, put transmission in neutral, transfer case in neutral, vehicle NOT moving: if it stops, its possibly the torque converter, transmission pump, and input shaft components.

Not having an automatic in my truck, I would think that noise to be a pump. If you were over full it could have caused issues with the performance of the pump. How long has this squeak been going on? Since you had the transmission topped off?

Not having an automatic in my truck, I would think that noise to be a pump. If you were over full it could have caused issues with the performance of the pump. How long has this squeak been going on? Since you had the transmission topped off?
Yes actually. So Iron pig overfilled it a bit, it was like over the dextron icon at temp, and I drove it an hour home. It takes a good 20 minutes of driving to hear it. The s***ty part of the troubleshooting is it only happens when everything down there is freaking hot. Good call, maybe try replacing the pump (and throw a cooler on there while its pulled apart) before I call it on the transmission and give up all hope forever.

Any idea of a good pump source?

Last edited:
Yes actually. So Iron pig overfilled it a bit, it was like over the dextron icon at temp, and I drove it an hour home. It takes a good 20 minutes of driving to hear it. The s***ty part of the troubleshooting is it only happens when everything down there is freaking hot. Good call, maybe try replacing the pump (and throw a cooler on there while its pulled apart) before I call it on the transmission and give up all hope forever.

Any idea of a good pump source?
I would try cruiser outfitters. I’m not familiar with the autos in land cruisers so I couldn’t really speak on that with authority. I would, though, use OEM. From what I have read a cooler is almost a necessity with those old auto trans and the lack of a cooler from the factory may be one of the biggest pitfalls of the those units. It seems the cooler solves a lot of issues that people seem to have.

So far

No, re-read my post again. Almost everything will be moving with the transmission and transfer case in neutral, just due to friction.

Transmission in drive, transfercase in gear, vehicle stopped has the LEAST amount of components moving. At that point, only the pump and torque converter are spinning. But we know the noise continues even after you turn the engine off - so it's not the pump or the torque converter - since those stop with the engine. So if the noise STOPS with the above test in bold, it *MIGHT* be something inside the transmission.

I'm still betting on some kind of fluid turbulence or metal rubbing.

No, re-read my post again. Almost everything will be moving with the transmission and transfer case in neutral, just due to friction.

Transmission in drive, transfercase in gear, vehicle stopped has the LEAST amount of components moving. At that point, only the pump and torque converter are spinning. But we know the noise continues even after you turn the engine off - so it's not the pump or the torque converter - since those stop with the engine. So if the noise STOPS with the above test in bold, it *MIGHT* be something inside the transmission.

I'm still betting on some kind of fluid turbulence or metal rubbing.
Thanks for setting me straight

RE: reply #18 - yes, there is a flat metal plate (you could fab one) that bolts over that flywheel access port in the bellhousing.

Could a cracked flexplate cause this sound? Rare in a Toyota, but not impossible.

RE: reply #18 - yes, there is a flat metal plate (you could fab one) that bolts over that flywheel access port in the bellhousing.

Could a cracked flexplate cause this sound? Rare in a Toyota, but not impossible.
Well you can see the flexplate from where that hole is right? Good idea to just look at it while its making noise.

I'm thinking its rear main or converter, based on some info here, and just some other posts unrelated to 62's. Might take it too a transmission shop just for a diag, but right now I don't know that I want to do a whole lot with it, I've already spent 5 times what I paid for it on it.

Similar noise here:

Holy crap, WHY has no one recommended simply unbolting the converter from the flex plate and running the engine.
Do this and you will confirm for sure that’s its transmission/converter noise or not in 20 minutes, instead of just going off peoples guesses

And if that is transmission/converter noise, plan on that entire unit being toast

Holy crap, WHY has no one recommended simply unbolting the converter from the flex plate and running the engine.
Do this and you will confirm for sure that’s its transmission/converter noise or not in 20 minutes, instead of just going off peoples guesses

And if that is transmission/converter noise, plan on that entire unit being toast
Ill give it a try, thanks! Luckily I love toast, so good news even if it is broken! Any advice on the unbolting process? Im not a tranny guy, er, I don't have much experience with them.

Large flat head screwdriver as a pry bar on the flex plate teeth through your missing inspection cover on the bottom of the bellhousing works well.
Depending on how tight your engine compression is it might be worth pulling the spark plugs, but these engines usually turn over by hand pretty easily.

Alternatively, if you have one you should be able to snake a 1-13/16th / 46mm wrench onto the crank pulley nut.

005C2A46-55A6-4A9A-A958-85B24223A85F.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom