Anyone recognize this FJ60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
guy I bought it from here in Anchorage is a State Trooper and said he bought it from a guy who had it in Colorado. Reading the Desmog thread and looking at engine, it appears to have been at least partially desmogged with golf tees used for plugs in vacuum lines. Does this look/sound familiar to anyone?

image.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpeg

It would help to post some engine pics if you want more info about the desmog. Some people (me included) use golf tees when occasionally bypassing the EGR, without doing anything else in the way of a desmog.

That's a good-looking truck!

Upper golf tee from EGR valve, lower left golf tee from air cleaner to VSV(2) to AI. 3rd pic, right tube from EGR valve to nothing. 4th pic appears stock. 5th pic, right tube from EGR to nothing. I think both those tubes to nothing were on the AP.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

EGR cooler, firewall behind carb, Air Pump with no hoses? Bottom right is hose going to nothing coming from EGR

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

EGR disconnect is wrong. It's creating a vacuum leak.

The hose that the green arrow is pointing to should be plugged. Not led up into the air cleaner.

The EGR valve hose that has the orange golf tee should have the tee removed and the hose left open to atmosphere.

Nice truck!

image.jpeg

EGR disconnect is wrong. It's creating a vacuum leak.

The hose that the green arrow is pointing to should be plugged. Not led up into the air cleaner.

The EGR valve hose that has the orange golf tee should have the tee removed and the hose left open to atmosphere.

Nice truck!

View attachment 1289121
h
The hose with the green arrow is plugged with the left golf tee, if that is the hose coming off the air cleaner, farthest from the camera of the three that are together. It appears it was hooked to VSV(2) for AI. Now VSV(2) for AI is open and that hose plugged with left golf tee. EGR valve hose tee will be removed and I will report on the change in engine function

Ok, now I can make out that black plug in the EGR modulator hose. It looked like the hose was leading up to the air cleaner for a moment. The reason to leave the valve vacuum nipple open to atmosphere is that it could "possibly" cause issues when driving up to high mountain altitudes or back down.... Theoretically it might be able to crack open the EGR diaphragm a bit if the internal pressure in the valve differed a lot from a the outside.

Ok, now I can make out that black plug in the EGR modulator hose. It looked like the hose was leading up to the air cleaner for a moment. The reason to leave the valve vacuum nipple open to atmosphere is that it could "possibly" cause issues when driving up to high mountain altitudes or back down.... Theoretically it might be able to crack open the EGR diaphragm a bit if the internal pressure in the valve differed a lot from a the outside.
It doesn't have a black plug. Look at the very first picture. It is the hose coming off the air cleaner with a golf tee, on the left of the picture. As for the egr valve, I don't drive more than about 1500' above sea level here in Alaska. What about the AIR components? As far as I understand, they can be removed with no harm, but it is the EGR and PCV components that must be properly desmogged in order to have a proper running engine after desmogging

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom