Anyone recognize this Blue 1971, and/or it's mods? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just saw this thread.

Good pix of the brakes. I had a lining fall off my rear brakes the last time I pulled the drum - and I last did the brakes in the 1990s. I guess nothing is forever. I think glued-on linings are lame for this reason, but no one seems to rivet them anymore.

I think you have a very solid start to a truck you can get closer back to stock. I noticed rust bleeding from under the chrome bezel, which (after you paint it) should be mounted on rubber standoffs (you can purchase them or use 1/2" pieces of 3/8" fuel line). These spacers will prevent the bezel from rubbing the paint off the front panel. The factory provided thick rubber grommets which are still available in the aftermarket, or possibly at the dealer.

If you decide to dechrome, you can remove the chrome bits, have them sandblasted, and then have a paint shop mix up a quart of custom paint for you that matches. You can then prime and spray those bits and re-use them, unless you find a chrome-nut who wants chromed things. For small things, a PreVal sprayer can work pretty well, although you then have to clearcoat after the color coat.

And whatever else you do, rustproof the bottom of that truck with a grease product (not tar) and don't drive it in salty blizzards ;)

There were indeed rubber spacers for the bezel, and thankfully the rust bleed came from the back o the bezel. The paintwork will clean up nicely. Here's a pic I took last weekend, when I pulled it off to inspect:

IMG_20200121_201622.jpg

So, you just had plain-old all American rust dripping down your panel. Usually, it's due to bezel-rub on the painted surface. Thanks for the update!

Little update: I finished up the rear brakes, and while inspecting I discovered there was a loose connection on the rear axle junction - no bueno. Fixed that, bled the brakes and went for a little Sunday cruise. There's no more pulling to the right and it does stop better, but damn I wish the brakes were more responsive! I'm not sure what I'll do if I have to come to an emergency stop! With discs in the front, dual-cylinder drums in the rear and stainless steel braided brake lines - I hoped for better. I think I'm going to flush all fluid front and back, and see what that does. Who knows how old the fluid is. I sucky braking normal for these rigs? I certainly won't be following anyone closely, at speed.

The cruise was also made possible because I finally decided on new tires, that I could run on the 15x8 wheels w/ 3 3/4" BS that came with the rig, without using any wheel spacers. For tires I chose the BFG KM3 33x10.50R15. They fit perfectly on the 8" wide wheels, and the offset is not a problem because I told them I needed all the balance weights on the inside. There's no interference with brakes, tie rod ends, suspension or drag link. With the as-purchased setup of Toyo 33x12.50s and 1 1/2" spacers, the tires stuck out 4" from the fenders. Now they only stick out 1 1/4". I'm glad to have a little wider track than stock, since it's lifted 4", but I'm also glad it's not so extreme now. Here's some pics:

IMG_20200207_185235.jpg

IMG_20200207_185219.jpg

IMG_20200207_185202.jpg

IMG_20200209_171100.jpg

IMG_20200209_171041.jpg

Until I figure out what I want to do with the bezel, I went ahead and cleaned up the front with CLR and sprayed the back with rust treatment spray. This should keep it looking decent until I figure it out. Speaking of looking decent, I felt like I was in a damn parade driving this thing around! People stop what they're doing to wave and yell "awesome!", and I had a couple people putting their windows down to talk to me at red lights. Crazy! I guess I'm not the only one who doesn't see many of these in NJ. And when I was getting the tires mounted, I had my Avalanche in order to carry everything there, and bring it all home. I told the supervisor what they were really for, and his eyes lit up. So when they finished, he told me the guys that worked on them were all Jeep guys, but have mad respect for the FJ40s and said they're one of the best off-road rigs ever made. I accidentally left my receipt there, so I think I'm gonna take Blue over there soon for them to check out.

No progress yet on the parking/emergency brake, other than parts have arrived and I need to get 'er done.

I have a 1971 also, so just read your whole thread. Congrats, that is a very solid truck!

I saw some wiring that did not appear to be stock. Does everything in the truck work electrically?
There are links in my signature you may find of use.
Here is a page for the parking brake reassembly: Rebuilding the 3 sp T-case: Reassembly Page 4

I have a 1971 also, so just read your whole thread. Congrats, that is a very solid truck!

I saw some wiring that did not appear to be stock. Does everything in the truck work electrically?
There are links in my signature you may find of use.
Here is a page for the parking brake reassembly: Rebuilding the 3 sp T-case: Reassembly Page 4

Everything seems to work, I can't say for certain I've checked every little thing. However the Speedo is off a bit, the registered engine temp does not seem to climb high enough, and at load the voltage seems to show higher than normal.

Thank you SO much for the parking brake link! I found and printed out a couple things so far, but your link is more than perfect!!!

Finally putting some miles on 'ol Blue! 🚙💨

No pics, but thanks to links here I dove in installed all the new parts from SOR, to rebuild my parking/emergency brake. After removing the drive shaft and parking brake drum, there was NOTHING inside. Thankfully SOR has all the parts in kit form. Brand new seal and a Speedi Sleeve for good measure (drum seal surface had some grooves). A good bit of cursing while fighting with those springs could not be avoided, especially after one fish hooked into my finger! Finally after some adjustment of the cable, voila! no more Harbor Freight rubber wheel chock.

I also installed a Transmission to Transfer Case Oil Return Kit from SOR, and it seems to have cured my gear oil overflow leak, that conveniently was dripping directly onto my exhaust pipe. Transfer case was indeed low on oil when I drained it, probably by a third, and the trans leaked out the fill port when I removed it quickly. Topped them both off with fresh gear oil, installed the hose kit, and so far so good after 30 miles or so.

Stumbled across this nice winch cover, and figured it's nice protection:

IMG_20200216_170706.jpg

Not sure what's next, but these front seats have GOT to go. The combination of custom made seat brackets that are too high, and thick seats have me sitting so high that I have to duck down to see traffic lights when stopped at a light. I need someone to measure the proper distance from butt to floor please!

WOW, has it been 7 months since I last updated this thread?!? Mostly been just driving the heck out of ol' Blue, as well as tending to other hobbies here and there.

I've been rolling around sans hard top and doors since June, when I got a Top Lift Pro to remove and store away the hardtop:

IMG_20200614_153752 (1).jpg

IMG_20200614_163808 (1).jpg

IMG_20200614_164037 (1).jpg

IMG_20200614_180310 (1).jpg

I then installed a SOR Grey Safari Summer Top:

IMG_20200815_173802.jpg

I think around July/August I ordered some MC Designs Offroad - Quik Hinges and MetalTech Tube Doors. Once those items arrived, I removed the roll bar to get it powder coated black to match the tube doors. That was a good call - I love it. While the roll bar was away, I took some pics, and drove around nekkid for a week:

IMG_20200904_192848.jpg

The hinges that mount to the rig, and to the blue doors I had powdered chrome - until I figure out what I'm doing with the chrome bits it was cheap and made sense. The hinges for the tube doors I had powdered black to match. I had to grind some of the top hinges to eliminate interference with the tube door:

IMG_20200913_123022.jpg

IMG_20200913_171817.jpg

IMG_20200913_171804.jpg

Last edited:
Pics Continued:

IMG_20200913_171700.jpg

IMG_20200913_154533.jpg

IMG_20200913_154546.jpg

Then recently I purchased a set of Method wheels for my Pickup, Red. I used the large tires that initially came with Blue when I first purchased, so five tires I bought five wheels. Well I couldn't resist rolling the spare in front of one of Blue's tires, and now I want to slap them on Blue! Damn it looks good (to me) with all the black I have going on now. The offset is perfect too at 3 1/2", which works well for both trucks. I might have to mount one up in the front, and confirm there's no issues. Either that or I should powder the wheels black, cause I really like the black now.

IMG_20200915_175602.jpg

IMG_20200915_175706.jpg

So . . . I mounted the Methods with 33x12.5 and honestly don't like it at all. So I took off each Baja wheel , cleaned, shined and dressed the tires properly. I think I can move away from the wheels/tires for a while now.

IMG_20200920_134606.jpg

IMG_20200920_135741.jpg

IMG_20200920_183601.jpg

Looks like you're having lots of fun with your FJ40. Just keep removing the chrome and you'll be on the right path ;)

Wow, 10 months since I updated! Let's see what my Google pics come up with over that time . . .

End of October it was time to put the top back on, but before I did that, I acquired the correct clamps and folded down the windshield for a nice cruise around town:

1627486788426.png

Here's a shot of the Quik Hinge set I had powdered chrome, for when I put the doors back on:

1627486916531.png

Then in May I sprung for a set of Jump Seats:

1627487039626.png

Got a set of covers and pads for those, and packed up for a Vacation to the Shore in June:

1627487108088.png

Then got hit by a rouge golf ball while I was on a cruise while there:

1627487207544.png

Found a place that will custom cut the glass, just need to take some time off and get over there.

So late August, I finally found a place to custom cut my windshield, and only 20 miles from home! Allstate Auto Glass, in Elmer NJ:

PXL_20210827_233500099_2.jpg

Then early September I got a bug up my ass to fit the 15X10 Methods w/ 33x12.5 Toyos from my Toyota Pickup. That was just a stupid heavy set up IMHO, and I only drove around for a couple weeks while I waited for my new wheels from The FJ Company to arrive. Couldn't wait to take them off:

PXL_20210904_162425075.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Then just before my second summer vacation, The FJ Company 16 X 6 aluminum "steelies" arrived, and I had Toyo Open Country 255/85R16 installed. They are the tallest and skinniest set up so far, and they balanced and drive like a dream. I think I can finally put the wheel/tire thing to rest, and move on to seats:

PXL_20210914_184029145.jpg

PXL_20210914_184008712.jpg

PXL_20210917_222608851.jpg

Perfect fit, compared to the major tire poke up front, with the Methods and 33x12.5 still installed:

PXL_20210917_225804132.jpg

PXL_20210920_145625292.jpg

Tire/wheel combo above is best by far…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom