Anyone recognize this Blue 1971, and/or it's mods? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello from South Jersey - new guy here. Just picked up a Blue 1971 FJ40 recently. Problem is, I purchased from a dealer, and there's no history or documentation attached. Only thing they seem to know for sure, is that is was restored somewhere about 10 years ago. I know about a thimble of info in regard to these rigs, but I fell in love with this thing and now here I am - willing to learn.

I'm hoping maybe the previous owner is a member here, or someone will recognize it. With my limited knowledge, there's obvious signs that it's not stock. I just don't know the extent of it. Another problem is that since I don't know the exact mods, how will I replace things as needed?

For example:

Not sure which engine it has, or how much is stock.

DSCN7531.jpg

DSCN7535.jpg

DSCN7532.jpg

I'm fairly certain the front disc brakes is a conversion - what rotors and pads will I buy?

IMG_20200113_181711.jpg

IMG_20200113_181651.jpg

DSCN7533.jpg

Yes, the rear reservoir is empty in the pic. I brought that up to them and identified a small leak on pass. side.

Looks to have an OME lift kit - How high? Which model shocks, springs, shackles, etc.?

DSCN7540.jpg

IMG_20200113_181916.jpg

No idea what seats these are:

DSCN7523.jpg

DSCN7519.jpg

Other observations:

Too much chrome! Not sure if the paint is a stock color, so unsure how difficult to paint-match new hardware? Or maybe go with a charcoal color for some of the hardware/front bezel? Bezel is showing rust anyway:

image-20200111_155022.jpg

Tires are too big for the wheels ( 33x12.5x15 mounted on 15x8 ! ), and because of them there's 1 1/2" wheel spacers, which I'm not a fan of. Another issue I had is that it wouldn't fit in my garage, so I took the 32x11.5x15 mounted on 15x10, off my Toyota Pickup, and put them on the 40. That gave me enough clearance to get in the garage!

IMG_20200113_192614.jpg

So now my short-term plan is to have the 33x12.5s mounted to the 15x10s for the Pickup, and the 32x11.5s mounted on the 15x8s for the 40, and ditch the spacers if no interference.

Last edited:
Your low on brake fluid in the rear circuit.
Roll bar, headlight bezel, wiring, gauge cluster, shackle reversal, wheel spacers.

Welcome to Mud.

Yes thanks, I mentioned that about the rear brake.

Shackle reversal? Thanks!

Once the brakes are adjusted and/or serviced properly, drive it. Let the rig tell you what it needs and wants. Looks like a nice one to begin with.

It has an awful shudder going into 1st in high - no way to feather it in, have to dump it - very unsettling. It doesn't do it in low. Clutch was replaced this past August, so hopefully it just needs adjustment. Also, the parking brake doesn't work. I tried adjusting on the firewall, but no good. There's no idiot light when it's engaged, so I imagine it was left on too many times and maybe wore out the drum? I'll get it checked out.

Besttop rear seat
Rugged Ridge fronts ( probably )
4" lift rear springs with 2 1/2" fronts and shackle reversal and shackles from man-a-fre
chrome
more chrome
Dolphin gauges in aftermarket panel ( Florida )
custom front bumper and roll bar
more chrome
8274 Warn winch

Besttop rear seat
Rugged Ridge fronts ( probably )
4" lift rear springs with 2 1/2" fronts and shackle reversal and shackles from man-a-fre
chrome
more chrome
Dolphin gauges in aftermarket panel ( Florida )
custom front bumper and roll bar
more chrome
8274 Warn winch

Awesome, thanks for the help! Stupid chrome . . .

because it's running Aisin hubs the Birfields are probably FJ60. 1976 to 79 birfields were slightly longer and Toyota didn't offer Aisins
on the 40 until around 1980. Driveplates were installed. Dealers would install Warn hubs as an option or , as I did on my 78, install them myself after I brought it home. There was a tall Aisin that Toyota put on the 55s before the 40's got them. Those are kinda rare. The 80 and later birfields were slightly stronger. the heat treat changed and there was more material at the common fail point in the bell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom