Anyone recognize this Blue 1971, and/or it's mods? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Get some 33x10.5 tires on stock FJ40 wheels and ditch the spacers.

I'd remove the sticker off the windshield. Did you ID the source of the brake fluid leak? Most likely a wheel cylinder.

33x10.5 on 5.5 wheels? Yikes

Yeah, the sticker is coming off, I just haven't got around to it yet - messing with the tires and such, so I could get it in the garage.

Yes, appears to be pass. side wheel cylinder

because it's running Aisin hubs the Birfields are probably FJ60. 1976 to 79 birfields were slightly longer and Toyota didn't offer Aisins
on the 40 until around 1980. Driveplates were installed. Dealers would install Warn hubs as an option or , as I did on my 78, install them myself after I brought it home. There was a tall Aisin that Toyota put on the 55s before the 40's got them. Those are kinda rare. The 80 and later birfields were slightly stronger. the heat treat changed and there was more material at the common fail point in the bell

Great info, is there anything I can provide to help ID further?

it's all Toyota parts so it won't confound mechanics like aftermarket disc kits sometimes do

Got it, I was just hoping to know what to order when it comes time to replace rotors and pads, and worst case calipers/rebuild kits. I hate not knowing what to search/order/ask for.

33x10.5 on 5.5 wheels? Yikes

Yeah, the sticker is coming off, I just haven't got around to it yet - messing with the tires and such, so I could get it in the garage.

Yes, appears to be pass. side wheel cylinder

the tire/wheel combo has been done thousands of times....quick google search will show the look. Just an option, especially with the uncut rear fenders.

Run away. I can guarantee somebody built this thing and got sick of trying to fix all of their F-ups and unloaded it on some poor sucker.

edit: Oops. Just reread your first post. Good luck!

Run away. I can guarantee somebody built this thing and got sick of trying to fix all of their F-ups and unloaded it on some poor sucker.

edit: Oops. Just reread your first post. Good luck!

Thanks. It was used and enjoyed last, by an older gentleman and his wife, that liked to run their grandkids around "down the shore", as we call it. He's the one that added the steps and bench seat, and is a regular customer of the dealer, as he has a wide collection. However, it's the guy BEFORE him that did the restoration, that I wish I could talk to.

Thanks. It was used and enjoyed last, by an older gentleman and his wife, that liked to run their grandkids around "down the shore", as we call it. He's the one that added the steps, and is a regular customer of the dealer, as he has a wide collection. However, it's the guy BEFORE him that did the restoration, that I wish I could talk to.

I’m surprised the salesman didn’t tell you it was the grandmother that used to drive it.

I think a lot of people forget what was in style at other times. Wide tires, chrome and diamond plate speaker enclosures had their day, that doesnt mean the workmanship was poor.

Stock steel wheels will clear toyota discs (I have them on my 1970) and painted grey with hub caps, as skinny a tire as you can go is a popular look. Painting some of that chrome (bezzle, running boards, roll bar) a factory color would go a long way towards giving it more of a classic look even if the blue is not a factory color.

That driver's seat/seat bracket combo looks really tall relative to the tool box.

Also, any more pics of how that brake booster is mounted to the firewall? I was considering going the stand off adapter route but that appears to fit. Maybe it is the Geo booster? I cant tell, but I think on mine the firewall rib goes straight up
DSCN7533.JPG

I think a lot of people forget what was in style at other times. Wide tires, chrome and diamond plate speaker enclosures had their day, that doesnt mean the workmanship was poor.

Stock steel wheels will clear toyota discs (I have them on my 1970) and painted grey with hub caps, as skinny a tire as you can go is a popular look. Painting some of that chrome (bezzle, running boards, roll bar) a factory color would go a long way towards giving it more of a classic look even if the blue is not a factory color.

That driver's seat/seat bracket combo looks really tall relative to the tool box.

Also, any more pics of how that brake booster is mounted to the firewall? I was considering going the stand off adapter route but that appears to fit. Maybe it is the Geo booster? I cant tell, but I think on mine the firewall rib goes straight up
DSCN7533.JPG

Some people are just jerks, and have to be known. It's not my first forum, just my first FJ forum. I get it. The idiots piss on the tree. I really just came for help and knowledge. I didn't buy the rig for what It is, but what it can be. Hopefully we'll look back on this beginning, and figure out that I rescued this thing - and maybe it rescued me. I lost my GF of 23 years, this past December 1st. This Toy is a distraction - a form of happiness found in a hobby, in an otherwise sad new world for me. F the haters, they can't hurt me.

I'll get more pics of the booster in the daylight. Peace

Last edited:
Those front seats look somewhat like what @JackA put in his early 40 build. I think he said they were Jeep seats. Maybe he’ll chime in. I like the compactness of those for these small rigs.

Those front seats look somewhat like what @JackA put in his early 40 build. I think he said they were Jeep seats. Maybe he’ll chime in. I like the compactness of those for these small rigs.

Those seats look like the Jeep replacements. They are okay for short drives.

the rib on the firewall was on earlier models - no longer in '71 and later

so an OEM booster mounts up properly right to the firewall without any spacers

The first FJ40 I had was a '71 and to this day is the only vehicle I regret selling, ever! Looks like you have a great start and after a bit of toil and $'s it will be exactly the one you want. The knowledge base here on MUD is fantastic, the opinions are what they are and each individual builds their 40 as they want it, not what someone else wants. Ask questions and be prepared for direct answers. This crowd loves photos so be liberal with them. Above all, enjoy the experience that comes with a relic 40. They are the best!

Read you lost your girlfriend of 23 years in Dec. You have my condolences. I lost my wife of 51 years to dementia on 12/6 so I can relate to your loss.

Looking forward to future developments with your 40.

The first FJ40 I had was a '71 and to this day is the only vehicle I regret selling, ever! Looks like you have a great start and after a bit of toil and $'s it will be exactly the one you want. The knowledge base here on MUD is fantastic, the opinions are what they are and each individual builds their 40 as they want it, not what someone else wants. Ask questions and be prepared for direct answers. This crowd loves photos so be liberal with them. Above all, enjoy the experience that comes with a relic 40. They are the best!

Read you lost your girlfriend of 23 years in Dec. You have my condolences. I lost my wife of 51 years to dementia on 12/6 so I can relate to your loss.

Looking forward to future developments with your 40.

Yes, I do believe this to be a great starting point, thank you. I wish those with opinions only, would read my posts to see that I'm not exactly thrilled with current state either. I'm very thankful for the info lcwizard has provided. It would be nice to have more people reply with answers to my actual questions/concerns. It amazes me when people don't just move on from a thread if they don't like what they see, or have answers to questions. It's really bad over at another of my hobby forums, the BMXMuseum - those guys have serious hard-ons for kids bikes :rofl:

Truly sorry for your loss, you have my condolences as well.

They do indeed have a Rugged Ridge tag on them, as lcwizard guessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom