Anyone rebuilt their pair reed valve (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
Mine is making noise. I've never taken one apart, does anyone know if it's possible to rebuild these?

No service parts offered AND the valve assy is discontinued.

Time to punt......:(

Yep just remove it and use the oem block off plates for the manifolds. I tossed mine long ago.

Which works if you do not have visual emissions inspections. Otherwise the vehicle fails.

Which works if you do not have visual emissions inspections. Otherwise the vehicle fails.

True, but I'm probably the only person out of 25 state inspectors at my dealership that even know what a pair valve is, lol. I'm pretty sure they would never notice if it was missing.

If there is a visual inspection in your jurisdiction, shame on the inspectors.........Just sayin'.

Anybody have pictures of the valve and a part number?

No service parts offered AND the valve assy is discontinued.

Time to punt......:(

thanks Dan. I knew they were disco, but was unsure about service parts. Our resident ATX cruiser mechanic was over the other night getting some parts and I had him listen to it. I asked if it was the PRV, and he confirmed it. He drives a 94 and his squeals louder than mine.

I do have a spare I can put on and may go that route. I have seen where people have deleted them, I may do that at some point. I am in an emission county though and will be until it's 25YO, so another 4 years. I don't know what impact removing the PRV would play in emissions. Anyone care to tackle that?

Part # should be 17350-66010. In the pic below, it's the square-like thing to the left of the word VALVE with the hose coming out off of it. If you can do some majic, let me know.

IMG_4040.JPG

If I'd known those things were worth anything to anyone I would have given mine away when I took it off. Ooops.

1FZ is not something I have studied much... I'm digging around to see what I can find for this part.

I assume this is for the '94 in your sig line... Just an idea, this part seems to have been dropped in '95. Could you swap it for whatever was used then? There is nothing too mechanical inside. I would imagine you can open it up and clean it and inspect for broken parts in the reed valve...

Are emissions checked in Texas/Austin area? You could just remove it. I think a few guys have a fix for this where you move the front O2 sensors to the PAIR ports in the exhaust...

FROM THE FSM "To reduce HC and CO emissions, this system draws in air into exhaust ports to accelerate oxidation, using vacuum
generated by the exhaust pulsation in the exhaust manifold." Seems like it is just a way to add oxygen to the exhaust and help the chemical reactions in the catalytic converter.

I do have a spare I can put on and may go that route. I have seen where people have deleted them, I may do that at some point. I am in an emission county though and will be until it's 25YO, so another 4 years. I don't know what impact removing the PRV would play in emissions. Anyone care to tackle that?

Just defeat the functionality and keep it installed if you want to pass visual. Plug the vacuum lines, air line and use a blank plate at the exhaust. It does not effect tail pipe CO, NOx measurements.

Last edited:
Yes, the PRV was on 93-94. We do have emissions, but I doubt that the inspectors would even know it was gone. It's the tailpipe that they are concerned with. So thanks for that info 1FZj80. I will take a look and make sure there are no bolts missing, and if not, either replace or remove.

The engine will run fine without it I ran mine that way for a couple years after I put the blower on it. For a very short time TRD offered a PAIR relocation kit for 93-94 and I bought one and put the valve back on. old vans had an O2 sensor blockoff plate that fits the 1FZ manifolds perfectly and they, of course, look stock and like they belong there.

It would seem that the only usefulness it has is to have a mounting point for the accelerator cable routing bracket...

By the way the "S" hose from the silencer chamber to the valve is also discontinued. The early Tacoma 4 cylinder lower radiator hose, 16572-07040, can be made to work.

I have one sitting on the shelf In my garage. OBA sits in it's original spot.

Oh and on a side note.... Instead of blocking off the holes left from the pipe removal...put new O2 sensors in the holes...I sure as heck did, so much easier to check and replace, and it looks like it is supposed to be like that. Runs smoother than it did before also.

From reading about the system last night, it seems this is an updated, more complicated version of what the air pump does in a 3FE.

From @LandCruisinMy93 it would seem that it gets replaced with the same accessory also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom