Anyone randomly develop a fear?

Spook50

I just got an idea....

Talking to a couple friends the other day about SCUBA diving and how back in the day I wanted to get certified (they have theirs and we were talking about it). I told them how over the last few years I've for some reason developed a major fear of being in open water. Never had a traumatic experience, and I'll go out in a boat in the ocean for fishing, but actually getting in the water makes me completely lock up. Never used to be that way either. Years ago I would happily pitch over the side of the boat into the water and swim around enjoying myself. Now just the thought of it makes me shudder. Anyone else just spontaneously develop a fear of something for no reason?

UltraFJ40

ที่นี่และมี
SILVER Star

Honestly I have never developed a fear of much of anything in my life but I have seen the same thing happen to others with no explanation as to why. Certainly there is an underlying factor that caused it maybe some smart person will or can be able to decipher something useful out of it. I'll call for help now.

TOFU!!! Are you available?

We have a few interest that are very similar good both of us served in Special Operations. I have a interest in wanting to be a diver I never have in my life. Both of us have a lot of water but I don't have a fear of water. The big danger in diving is getting caught on something underwater. Or a hose that gets pinched. That's why it's best to have a diving buddy.

mingles

GOLD Star

It's not fear... It's common sense :D.

As we get older we become more aware of our mortality and the "common sense" part kicks in. Activities that I didn't give a thought to the dangers involved when I was young, now give me the chills.

For me it is standing on cliff edges, free climbing trees, riding unbuckled in the back of open vehicles at speed, and exhaling while spelunking to just go a "bit further" :),

I think it's a good thing. It keeps me alive.

UltraFJ40

ที่นี่และมี
SILVER Star

We have a few interest that are very similar good both of us served in Special Operations. I have a interest in wanting to be a diver I never have in my life. Both of us have a lot of water but I don't have a fear of water. The big danger in diving is getting caught on something underwater. Or a hose that gets pinched. That's why it's best to have a diving buddy.
I'll give that a like but mostly for the buddy system. I've had a few hairy events in the water but luckily I was the one without issues.

phrogg4evr

I am The Liquor
GOLD Star

Honestly I have never developed a fear of much of anything in my life but I have seen the same thing happen to others with no explanation as to why. Certainly there is an underlying factor that caused it maybe some smart person will or can be able to decipher something useful out of it. I'll call for help now.

TOFU!!! Are you available?
Spiders...

chap79

Wheel. Break. Fix. Repeat.
SILVER Star

I remember fishing off the coast of Monterey as a child and having a great white come up next to the boat to eat a sea lion . I’m completely fascinated by sharks still to this day, but my ass stays out of the water.

I remember fishing off the coast of Monterey as a child and having a great white come up next to the boat to eat a sea lion . I’m completely fascinated by sharks still to this day, but my ass stays out of the water.
I read the majority the reason why great whites take a bite out of a surfer is because the silhouette of a surfboard with arms and legs sticking out from the sides looks like a seal from underneath it.

Been diving a handful of times (never officially certified, lol, just hanging with the right people)....could not get enough of it, fascinates me.

Not a new fear, but lightning...yea, F’ lightning! Been way too close to it a few times. I get an eerie feeling when thunderstorms start rolling in and the sky and air turn a certain color.

Pretty sure my lightning close encounters were not random, think God’s aim was just slightly off.
Nice shot......but missed me again!!!!!

dieseldog

She idles just fine . . .
GOLD Star

Talking to a couple friends the other day about SCUBA diving and how back in the day I wanted to get certified (they have theirs and we were talking about it). I told them how over the last few years I've for some reason developed a major fear of being in open water. Never had a traumatic experience, and I'll go out in a boat in the ocean for fishing, but actually getting in the water makes me completely lock up. Never used to be that way either. Years ago I would happily pitch over the side of the boat into the water and swim around enjoying myself. Now just the thought of it makes me shudder. Anyone else just spontaneously develop a fear of something for no reason?
C
O
P
P
E
R

P
O
T
S

Top Bottom