Anyone put TRD Ivan Stewart wheels on a 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well....I have a set of 16" TRD Ivan Stewart wheels off of my 02 Tacoma....and I was thinking about placing them on the 74' FJ40.

The aluminum wheels will look great with the new Voodoo blue paint....but the front hub is too large for the rim's opening.

Is there a way of 'coring' out the wheel...and enlarging the diameter of the hub 'hole' in the wheel to accomidate the hub?

If I cant mill out the rim....is there a way of eliminating the large hub on the FJ?

I've seen 'permanent' hubs....like on my previous 66 FJ45LV - as it was always locked in 4WD. Maybe I can spacer it off the brake drum enough to accomidate the rim.

Any thoughts???

Email me if you prefer-
JeffVanWyk@Yahoo.com

It is deffinetely possible to mill out the center of the wheel...... I dont know if there are any aftermarket hubs that are actually smaller. i would think no since your inside hub bolt pattern would be the limiting factor there. Are the wheels hubcentric?? If so that may be an issue. Others will be able to tell you better. Also you may run into issues with backspacing and clearing your steering components. I am tryin g to imagine my tacoma stock wheels and both them and my fathers were fairly high inched backspacing but if yours are the newer tacoma wheels that are 16" rather than my older 15" you may get away with the backspacing.

I am no pro so you may wait for others to chime in!!

EDIT: I just red your sig and yours is an 02 so you have 16"s so you may be fine with the backspacing so now are they hubcentric... I cant remember

I did a quick google search

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02BeachTacoma
Do we need hub centric wheels for out Tacomas? Mine is a 2002 if that matters.

No you dont have to have a hub centric wheel but you take the risk of wheel vibration when going with a lug centric rim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02BeachTacoma
What even is hub centric?

A wheel that is centered or located on the hub by a machined center hole-as opposed to "lug centered" wheels that are located by the position of the lug nuts alone.

The more I search the more I think (still not sure though) that your stock wheels are hubcentric so I would think that no they will not work on your FJ since it is meant to center off your lug nuts. I suppose you could use your stock tacoma lugnuts and find out if it is close enough to not shimmy but that would be after you went through all the work of having them machined....

Again I am speaking out my butt here but answers are normally slow at this time of night so I thought I would help the best I could

Well, I'll resurect my own thread here :)

Yes, you can have the centers of aluminum TRD Ivan Stewart wheels CNC'd out to match the hub of the FJ40.

I had mine done, and they're now on the FJ40.

I'll post up some pics in my build-up thread - If I can find it on here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom