Anyone put NOS on an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For thoughs who only want the power breifly. The systems out now are not like the old days where people blew up motors all the time.

Sounds like asking for trouble to me. I'm sure it could be done, but it's kinda like putting a Hole Shot system on a John Deere tractor...not really designed for it. I'm absolutely certain it would reduce engine longevity.

My $.02

-H-

It shouldn't reduce engine longevity if it is done correctly. With the new fogger systems you can get good results without the high risk of the direct injection. One of the systems I saw was designed for a straight 6 Toyota (Lexus). It said that it would work on both the 3FE and the 1FZE. Basically it fogged the NOS in through the air filter. Then the engine would breathe it in with the air. Not as powerful as direct injection. But it would give you a a boost for that little hill or whatever. It might not work as effectively off road as there is a slight delay. Not as bad as turbo lag, but still a delay. I thought about it a bit, and then I decided that I would probably find myself rigging it up to run all the time. I don't need another fuel bill besides my regular gas bill.

It would match the neon lights as well. :D

yeah i don't think i would do, and you would have to install the tank in your truck, it seems like it would be a hassle refilling it.

[quote author=ginericfj80 link=board=2;threadid=12483;start=msg114495#msg114495 date=1078343839]
It might not work as effectively off road as there is a slight delay. Not as bad as turbo lag, but still a delay. [/quote]

I sound like a skipping record sometimes but one more time ... there is no turbo lag with the safari turbo system ... as quickly as the vehicle downshifts, the turbo is on! That's the way it should be and that's the way it is. No turbo lag, no turbo lag, no turbo lag, ... wait, lets try it on 45 speed, ... noturbolag, noturbolag, noturbolag. Ohh yea, side B is the same as side A.

I wasn't talking about the Safari Turbo, but turbos in general. If they have it so that it spools up all the time it must be one heck of product. And I'm not saying it isn't, don't read any sarcasm into my comment. And even with the fogger NOS the lag is probably less than a second after you hit the button but it is slightly slower than the direct injection.

[quote author=MoJ link=board=2;threadid=12483;start=msg114509#msg114509 date=1078344542]
It would match the neon lights as well. :D
[/quote]
Ouch! I was just trying to liven up the forum a bit but that hurt :D

Heh, sorry lagwagon, purely hassleing you. :cheers:

They also have a system now which goes in with the fuel injectors and increases fuel when injecting NOS, which would be hard to see, and would work really well, with no fuel pooling etc like the old days.

Remember NOS is really no different to fiting a turbo, or a supercharger, it just injects oxygen [more than the engine breathes] into the engine so it can add more fuel, and make for a bigger bang per cylinder.

A turbo or supercharger compresses the air to force more in.

Life expectancy on a properly tuned system should be no different to a turbocharged intercooled engine, and probably betetr than a supercharged engine, as NOS makes a cooler charge, compared to the superchargers hot inlet charge.

And getting a NOS bottle fillled would work out cheaper over the life of the car than buying a turbo or supercharger...... :D

[quote author=turbocruiser link=board=2;threadid=12483;start=msg114528#msg114528 date=1078346365]
I sound like a skipping record sometimes but one more time ... there is no turbo lag with the safari turbo system ... as quickly as the vehicle downshifts, the turbo is on! That's the way it should be and that's the way it is. No turbo lag, no turbo lag, no turbo lag, ... wait, lets try it on 45 speed, ... noturbolag, noturbolag, noturbolag. Ohh yea, side B is the same as side A.
[/quote]

Turbocruiser,

So what you are saying is there is no lag from the turbo then?
:whoops: That's right....I have one too :slap: and your right there is no lag. I can hear mine spin up right over 1000rpm. What turbo timer are you running? I have thought about adding one of those and an adjustable boost (since I now have Junks old booster gauge) :beer: I also thought about that 7th injector, but dang with premium hitting $2.00 I may save my money for gas...
One more thing you running a snorkel or have you increased your exhaust? Just curious.

Yomama

Hey Hltoppr, Nitrous doesn't work the same on Deeres, you would want propane for that kind of kick on a diesel plant.

Hi Yomama, the turbo timer is a HKS unit and it is installed in the ash tray so that when you pull the tray the turbo timer pops up. I have it pre-set for one minute but after hard runs I crank it up to two or even two and a half minutes. Having the timer always run at least one minute, for me, is real peace of mind. Also, using Mobil 1 0w40 is more peace of mind. The exhaust is custom, and fixin to get more custom still! Currently the exhaust consists entirely of 3" diameter mandrel bends from the outlet tube of the turbo system to the cat. The cat is close to where the stock cat goes (under the heat shield) but it is higher up and horizontal. The cat is a 3" high flow high performance cat. From there it is some staight pipe, a magnaflow muffler and some more straight pipe. All of it runs between the frame rail and the rocker panel. Tomorrow, all that changes...I am chopping everything from right behind the cat back, welding to the back of the cat ten inches of straight pipe and a new flange, and then bolting up the MAF 3" cat back system for the safari turbo. The reason for all this is that I, per my wife's ultimatum, am installing some Slee step sliders (for her ;) )and the current exhaust is in the way. So after this, the exhaust will have the same 3" mandrel bent system but it will go under the frame instead of between the frame and the rocker panel. Once the system is setup, I will work on some sort of skid plate that goes from the Slee transfercase skid plate to the step sliders to protect the part of the exhaust tube that will go under the frame. Should be cool when its worked out. Anyway, I was wondering, what is your boost set to max out at, I am at 6.5 pounds with max load and max acceleration. Also, I was wondering what you were referring to with the seventh injector, I have not heard of that. Anyways, happy spooling man!!!!

6.5 psi boost! Wow, I was running 32 psi boost on Audi's. Maybe I was underestimating 450hp.

[quote author=lagwagon link=board=2;threadid=12483;start=msg115485#msg115485 date=1078465579]
6.5 psi boost! Wow, I was running 32 psi boost on Audi's. Maybe I was underestimating 450hp.
[/quote]

32 psi, holy moly, that is wild!!! Is that on an unmodified engine?

My Cummins 6BT boosts 23PSI and that is way up there. 8)

I currently run a .200 undersize nose pulley on the Cruiser and that gets me just over 8 PSI with a load on the motor. I would not want to venture much past that.

My GMC runs at 19psi max boost roughly with about 250 rear wheel ponies.

Bone stock.

6.6L turbo diesels are kewl.

Oh yeah, my 91 TLC runs at 0 psi boost.

3FE Powa!

Back to the way that nitrous produces more power...I cut this from the NOS company website and wanted to share this with the group here and then as the group here some questions.

There are three points. First, nitrous oxide is comprised of 2 parts nitrogen and one part oxygen (36% oxygen by weight). When the nitrous oxide is heated to approximately 572° F (on compression stroke), it breaks down and release extra oxygen, However, it is not this oxygen alone which creates additional power, but the ability of this oxygen to burn more fuel. By burning more fuel, higher cylinder pressures are created and this is where most of the additional power is realized. Secondly, as pressurized nitrous oxide is injected into the intake manifold, it changes from a liquid to a gas (boils). This boiling affect reduces the temperature of the nitrous to a minus .127° F. This "cooling affect" in turn significantly reduces intake charge temperatures by approximately 60° - 75° F. This also helps create additional power. A general rule of thumb: For every 10° F reduction in intake charge temperature, a 1% increase in power will be realized.

Okay, so this seems simple but I have always heard that the MAIN power producing effect of the nitrous is to increase the cylinder compression ratio by essentially acting as an 'inert' gas that occupies much of the open volume of the compression chamber in the cylinder on compression stroke. I think the above mentions this here but again, I have heard that this effect is really why nitrous works, not so much the breaking down of the NOS into more oxygen. Just wondering what you all thought of this. Also wondering if NOS power, horse per horse is harder on an engine because of this sudden spike in compression ratios? Next, the point about every ten degree drop in the intake air temperature will produce 1% gain in power...how much would you all think the intercooler on the turbo system drops the temps by - I am sure alot less than NOS does - but, this cooling would be constant and not just while hitting the button so I'm thinking that the overall advantage regarding intake air temps would go to the intercooler? Lastly, does using nitrous really add more fuel to the combustion chamber? I am having a hard time figuring out that effect unless the volume of nitrous is injected before all the sensors that measure and meter the air-fuel quantities. Thanks for the thoughts.

turbocruiser,

Installed in the ashtray? Pics?
As far as boost pressure goes, I am not sure what it is set at, what ever it was set at when it left MAF and I believe according to the MAF owner (s*** forgot his name) 6.5psi this is the area that you should be in, but he did mention that a couple boys with money to spare (if engine blows) have increased boost to 10. The reason, that you do not need as much boost is because of the Intercooler cooling the intake air down and has more effective volume air then the SC would at more then 6.5 psi. Another reason the Cruiser can not go too much above that is because of the compression ratio. If you ever look at a vehicle that was designed for a turbo it will have allot higher compression ratio to handle the extra volume of air. That is why just a bit of boost and cooler air makes the turbo kick butt.
The 7th injector? I would assume you have the same Safari components that I do. In my instruction manual for assembly it mentioned installing an aux. injector and showed where to do it. If you look at that black piece that says Safari on it, the piece right before the throttle body you will notice a part sticking out. If you took that off and looked through the other direction you could see that this is infact where they planned on adding more fuel. They may have changed thier mind and instead used the computer control that is added with the turbo setup to add more fuel, as you know you need more fuel. They may have found that the stock injectors could produce enough fuel. As you also know adding more fuel will give you more power, so if you do a search in this forum for "7th injector" you should find a thread and someone posted a link to a website that had basically a stand alone unit that would work perfectly. I am tired form typing...So I will let you search. Post the link back here again when you find it.
I think you and I are the only petro turbo boys in this forum. I was on my own for awhile and didn't have anyone to help defend my turbo being the better choice then the SC. Slee did post once that he has installed both and found the turbo to be superior, no one has said anything since then. Everyone pretty much agrees with what Slee tells us as he says it like it is and he has had experience, so thanks for joining me!!

Yomama

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom