1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone purchased used appliances before?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by patride71, Jul 18, 2005.

1. patride71

patride71

we are renting a home in san antonio until we figure out where we want to purchase a home etc.

i need to buy a fridge, but i don't want to spend a lot since we might not want it in the kitchen of the home we end up buying in about a year....

make sense?

anyway, i was thinking about looking into purchasing a used fridge, but i wanted to see if any mudders have had experience or if it might be a bad idea.....

oh yeah, any particular brand i should steer away from?

2. 3puttcop

3puttcop

I have a used one in garage, use it for extra space and drinks. Was 5 years old when I bought. Frigidare! Paid $200, been running for 2 years nice and cold, just smells like my FJ60 exhaust.

3. MaddMatt

MaddMatt

For a fridge, I think you're pretty safe. I saw an episode of Nova once that explained refrigerator motors, they are one of the most durable appliances ever made. Think about it, most fridges run 24 hours per day for 20 years or so before anybody thinks about them.

Make sure the doors fit right. I have an old fridge in the garage, and the freezer door doesn't fit well. I keep a clamp on it, to keep that cold air in.

Also, when you get it home, put it in place, or close to in place, and let it sit for 24 hours before you plug it in. Saw that on the same episode of Nova. The motor is in an oil bath, and moving and tipping will develop air bubbles, so you need to give it some time to settle down. Probably an "old wives tale", but it can't hurt.

4. BMAN

BMAN

Media:
    Albums:
  5. e rock

e rock

Back in high school my job was refurbishing traded-in appliances for resale. I don't think there's anything bad about it at all. Used stuff naturally doesn't command the price of new, so I junked anything that needed any kind of extensive work - which was probably close to 2/3 of stuff. On the other hand, a lot of times people just want to upgrade and there's nothing wrong with the old stuff except it's the wrong color or it doesn't have ice & water in the door. 90% of the used stuff I put out on the floor for sale only needed to be cleaned up and have the paint touched up.

It will most likely be a bit more expensive, but buying from a reputable dealer should get you a 30-day warrantee and a chart of at least 24 hours of temp-logging with some kind of load (i.e. a couple gallons of water in the fridge). The chart will show that the defrost timer and fan are working properly and also show how long the compressor takes to recover and get back down to temp.

When we bought our house, I sold the whirlpool fridge via an e-bulletin board at work. It was only 5 years old, but it was too small (18cf) and we wanted ice & water. It was in PERFECT condition and I sold it for $100. The new fridge came from Lowe's so there was no trade-in option. If you can find a situation like that, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on it for such a good price.

As far as brands... IMO, refrigeration is one field where mass production is a good thing. Companies that make a lot of units and have been doing it for a long time are my favorites. I would generally say Whirlpool (aka Kenmore) then GE (aka Hotpoint and others). I try to stay away from brands like Frigidaire - not because of a bad reputation, but because there aren't that many of them, I haven't worked on many of them, and parts & service are hard to come by. I would absolutely NOT buy Magic Chef anything. IIRC, Maytag's refrigeration has gotten better, but I don't know exactly where I'd rank them. Can't think of any other major brands off the top of my head...

Sorry for the novel :D

Eric

6. patride71

patride71

7. e rock

e rock

Not an 'old wives' tale', but not for the reason you mentioned. Often, people transport fridges by laying them down in the back of a pickup rather than properly securing them upright (my boss once lost one on the freeway...). The problem is that when the compressor isn't upright and running, there is nothing to keep the compressor oil from getting into the coolant lines. Oil doesn't compress as easily as r-134, so you end up essentially hydrolocking the compressor - and they're not that durable.

Even if it's not tipped over sideways during travel, it was on a hand truck or otherwise tipped during moving and installation. Just for precaution's sake, let it sit for a little while before plugging it in. 12 hours should be plenty after prone travel; more like 2-3 for upright travel, but it never hurts to be safe rather than sorry.

8. LongIsland60

LongIsland60

Around here one of the appliance stores has a 'seconds' store/warehouse and sells display models and damaged ones for discounts. Most damage is limited to scuffs, paint/cosmetic issues. You can ask around for those.

9. davegonz

davegonz Keeping it Weird SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
  10. swank60

swank60

I bought a washer this way. Paid $250 for a commercial grade SpeedQueen with a stainless steel tub. There was a small dent in the front/bottom sheet metal...thing kicks ass.

I'd agree with all of the above. Get yerself something you can stick in the garage when you buy a house.

11. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

When me and my wife first got together and were broke as hell we bought a used Frigidaire for like $150. Ten years later it is still cranking along...

Jason

12. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

I bought a used Maytag washer once. The thing ran like a champ for about 14 years before a seal seal in the gearbox failed. Not worth fixing it. What a POS. Ha Ha. I replaced it with a horizontal style washer. Its pretty cool but I doubt it'll last 14 years.

13. NovaFZJ80

NovaFZJ80

check out craigslist.. there is a free section...lots of people getting rid of appliances...

14. patride71

patride71

oh no doubt about it...it will have a future as a dedicated adult beverage fridge located in the ga-rage!

15. swank60

swank60

You should TOTALLY paint a confederate flag on the door! That would be so respectful to your heritage! :flipoff2:

16. 3pits

3pits

I have bought used appliances in the past, I choose new now, but for things like the barn (non spoilable items, beer does not spoil right?) and for rentals I sometimes buy used, go to s "store" they usually give you a warrenty and are cool about it,,,,I have never had a problem, bought friges, washers dryers , now I think about it I did have a washer or dryer go out, and the company "beavers" used appliances delivered a new used one in 24 hours no charge, and it was workign 10 year later when I sold it for 100$, I paid like 150$ for it,,,great investment!!!

17. surfpig

surfpig The Anti-Tech

Used all the way!

My current fridge is a 1949 GE. Runs like a champ. You cant even hear it! Of course you got to defrost it once in awhile... My '40s Wedgewood range is practically indestructible... OK, i'm a bit of a fanatic, but I can't see shelling out a thousand bucks for a new fridge, when a used one will do just as good at a fraction of the price, even if it's not "vintage" I actually have three refrigerators, the one in the house (the '49), one on the porch (came with the house), and one in the basement (dedicated beer fridge). Buy used, they're perfectly good, as long as they were well cared for... Heed the cautions about laying one down for transport, compressor oil and freon DON'T mix, but all is well if you let it sit a couple of days.

Nial