Anyone prefer the stock shocks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought an 03 gx with 295,000 miles, really because my son got me interested and I might have ocd. He got 04 4runner v8. I thought the gx and 4runner were pretty much like chevy vs gmc. There are some pretty big differences I'm finding out. I knew about the air coils, but I thought the sport/comfort mode was related to that and didn't know about the electronic dampened shocks. Mine look pretty original( no clue on maintenance history), maybe all in my head; but the ride seems stiffer in sport mode. I prefer less body roll, anyone just go back to stock shocks?

Tom

Mine were replaced with OEM Lexus at 110k miles and I am happy with them. I think they ride pretty comfortable and the adjustment does make a difference (though not huge)

My 2008 has the air bags and the ride is sooo nice . I am spoiled . It does roll , drive carefully .
Thought of going with different set up , then I'll lose the cushy ride that I love .
Really no reason to change at 185000.
They were replaced at 82000 .

My 2008 has the air bags and the ride is sooo nice . I am spoiled . It does roll , drive carefully .
Thought of going with different set up , then I'll lose the cushy ride that I love .
Really no reason to change at 185000.
They were replaced at 82000 .
I agree! my bags were also replaced at 110k with OEM and rides great. I also have no issues when loading it up with people/towing or riding alone, its always the same height and nice ride.

I guess it’s prefer them to what.

I have dobinsons IMS with the bags still in the rear and I think it rides fairly similar to stock.

I guess it’s prefer them to what.

I have dobinsons IMS with the bags still in the rear and I think it rides fairly similar to stock.
I guess I meant prefer them to aftermarket shocks, I can't imagine I'd buy replacement shocks from lexus though.

I guess I meant prefer them to aftermarket shocks, I can't imagine I'd buy replacement shocks from lexus though.

Yeah, but I mean what aftermarket shocks. Some like OME are considered fairly harsh. Some are pretty smooth.

Really have no clue , honestly. I need to start with my ball joints and bushings and tie rod ends etc and get the steering better. I’m fine with the ride height in the back, maybe want to raise the front an inch. Would like a fairly firm ride, not bone jarring. This little hobby is going to get spendy

After having good mid-range aftermarket shocks (Ironman FCP), I'll never go back to stock. My stockers were worn out, replacement ones were more than a full lift-kit. The FCP's ride great (not as chushy as stock but not harsh) and the GX feels very controlled and planted over rough terrain or bumps on the highway.

After having good mid-range aftermarket shocks (Ironman FCP), I'll never go back to stock. My stockers were worn out, replacement ones were more than a full lift-kit. The FCP's ride great (not as chushy as stock but not harsh) and the GX feels very controlled and planted over rough terrain or bumps on the highway.
I think of changing my as they are getting old , and comments like your inspire me to go after market.
However , lifting the vehicle does make it more unstable

I think of changing my as they are getting old , and comments like your inspire me to go after market.
However , lifting the vehicle does make it more unstable
I tend to overthink things, I’m not exactly tight with money; but I do tend to look for a “deal “. I also hate to do things twice; so I’m always conflicted. I’m really fine with the ride height as it is, I would like a firmer ride ( no nose diving and little body roll). My wheeling will be washboard gravel roads and muddy duck hunting and fishing spots. I think my 2020 ram 2500 laramie off road rides pretty good for my tastes( michelin ltx/ms and cummins so not much mud). I think it has bilsteins , probably go with that as far as shocks. Ball joints and tie rods first

I tend to overthink things, I’m not exactly tight with money; but I do tend to look for a “deal “. I also hate to do things twice; so I’m always conflicted. I’m really fine with the ride height as it is, I would like a firmer ride ( no nose diving and little body roll). My wheeling will be washboard gravel roads and muddy duck hunting and fishing spots. I think my 2020 ram 2500 laramie off road rides pretty good for my tastes( michelin ltx/ms and cummins so not much mud). I think it has bilsteins , probably go with that as far as shocks. Ball joints and tie rods first
Did you ever settle on a shock and strut package? Sounds like your usage will be similar to my own and I'm pondering new shocks and struts as well.

Did you ever settle on a shock and strut package? Sounds like your usage will be similar to my own and I'm pondering new shocks and struts as well.
I went with bilstein 5100 and ome 2884 coils. I hope I don’t regret it. Supposed to be installed today

I went with bilstein 5100 and ome 2884 coils. I hope I don’t regret it. Supposed to be installed today
Went by the shop that's doing the install and he won't start until tomorrow, probably not done until next Monday. I'll update after I get it back.

Went by the shop that's doing the install and he won't start until tomorrow, probably not done until next Monday. I'll update after I get it back.
Finally got it back yesterday, it seems like more than 2 inches of lift. Front end is tight/ firm and quiet over bumps. I still have to put the rear shocks on and do the airbag trick with the washers . Right now it’s a little higher in the front. I’ve had an intermittent misfire, but no cel ( I was worried about torque converter lock up issues). Well yesterday on the way back it was really running bad and cel and both vsc lights on. I was really ill thinking the shop had caused it. Scanner just shows misfire cylinder 1. Got a new set of plugs/ coils on the way. Should make some progress this week

359C0B14-124F-42CD-8334-056F937215D2.jpeg

Misfire can also be a poorly functioning or un-plugged injector (happened to me when I swapped mine out and didn't quite seat one of the plugs).

Misfire can also be a poorly functioning or un-plugged injector (happened to me when I swapped mine out and didn't quite seat one of the plugs).
Good thought. I was planning on ignition coils/plugs already, just pushed me to it sooner. How long did it take you to change injectors?

Good thought. I was planning on ignition coils/plugs already, just pushed me to it sooner. How long did it take you to change injectors?
It's a one-hour job if you go slow and take the time to properly seat everything before tightening the fuel rail. I messed it up at first and had some fuel leaks so it took a bit longer.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to have to do a diff drop. My cv angles seem too steep ( to me anyway). I didn't measure before the bilsteins went on (which was kind of dumb on my part); but from the center of my front hub to bottom of the fender is 23.5 inches. I'm sort of wishing I would have used the stock front springs at this point. Maybe if I add a winch it will drop it enough.

I think I'm going to have to do a diff drop. My cv angles seem too steep ( to me anyway). I didn't measure before the bilsteins went on (which was kind of dumb on my part); but from the center of my front hub to bottom of the fender is 23.5 inches. I'm sort of wishing I would have used the stock front springs at this point. Maybe if I add a winch it will drop it enough.

325AA9F6-49B6-4657-B842-0A6D0C16B0C8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom