1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone play a musical instrument? Which one?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by sisukid1975, Jul 1, 2005.

1. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

As the police were pulling away yet again for the noise complaint, I began to wonder if anyone else here plays a musical instrument. (Whoever would call a Bach cantata "noise," even past 11pm, needs to be shot, IMHO)

I play the Organ. A Hammond inherited from my grandmother. WHen I play certain pieces, I do go a little overboard with the attitude (volume) pedal.

I learned from my grandmother, and enjoy classical pieces such as the Bach Cantatas, but I also like pop organ music, and am not above trying to recreate the organ riffs in many Door's songs. (Ray Manzarek, the Door's organist, is a GOD in my book.) I one day want to get an old Hammond B3 with Leslie speakers so I can really feel like I'm back in LA during the psychedelic era.

My wife is a concert clarinet player, and has played Carnegie Hall, among other venues.

Anyone else play? What's your instrument, and what music do you like to play?

Fred

2. Gold Finger

Gold Finger

Larynx and Gob Iron

3. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    Classical Bach on a pipe organ is possibly the greatest music ever created.

I play classical piano on a 1956 Mason & Hamlin Model A, Ebony Grand. I've got 27 years in on that instrument. Bach, Mozart, Grieg, Gershwin, Tchaikovsky, Copeland, and most pre-pianoforte composers are my favorite. I love to play harpsichord as well. Vivaldi is awesome. I hate Chopin. I love the piano as an instrument of clarity and broad musical range, and could care less about Chopin and his attempts towards pushing the instrument to levels of almost unattainable complexity. He never composed anything other than piano anyway, he was a 1 trick pony. Mozart wrote like a genius. I can pick Mozart out of a crowd as nothing even comes close. Beethoven was too serious, but good just the same.

I play the organ also, but haven't concentrated on the pedals as much as I need to. As a kid, my mom had a 3 manual Hammond Organ with a separate amp and it was awesome. BTW, Diane Bish is my hero.

I also play guitar. Accoustic is boring to me as I like to play surf guitar. I play a Fender American Stratocaster with maple neck for crisp tone and run it through a Fender Cyber Deluxe Amp. I keep the reverb high and spin the dial onto the surf guitar setting. The Ventures and Dick Dale are my favorites. My goal is to eventually play as good as Junior Brown and to learn every Marty Robbins cowboy song by heart. :D

I played classical flute in school, but getting braces on my top teeth changed my ability to play. I'm able to play now that I don't have metal stabbing into my top lip. I think that I'll buy another flute soon. I love the clean tone and great sound. I want to pick up a Peruvian flute next. I listen to a lot of indigenous Peruvian, and Ecuadorian music.

I tried the trumpet because trumpets are totally cool. From jazz to classical to swing, total coolness. I want to play "The Trumpet Will Sound" from Handel's Messiah. I love that piece. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't get the whole mouthpiece thing right. My professor was a trumpet genius and offered every opportunity to get it right throughout the semester, but alas, no dice. :doh:

I've also been playing around with the Japanese Shakuhachi. It's a bamboo flute that was developed in the Edo period and is often used as the basis for Buddhist Zen music. I think that Tyler would like Shakuhachi. :D I develop and play my own music as the traditional music is written in Japanese Kanji and I have not studied the language. A nice flute runs $500+ with the better examples and rare Edo period pieces going for $5000-100,000. The Shakuhachi is played while meditating and it becomes a fluid experience. The instrument is said to carry magic and radiates this when played. You can decide. Meditation and stillness is a must or the experience will be lost.

Cedar and Bamboo / by John Singer Shakuhachi Master
    http://www.zenflute.com/sounds/cedar_and_bamboo.mp3

Matsu Kaze / Wind Blowing by John Singer Shakuhachi Master
    http://www.zenflute.com/sounds/matsu_kaze_wind_blowing_th.mp3

The Mason & Hamlin is awesome and sounds way better than a comparable Steinway in a studio setting. The tones are warmer and lack the harsh crispness of the Steinways that excel in large halls. Attached is a picture of my dream piano. It is a Boesendorfer Grand. I will own this piano. Some people think that $80K-100K is too much for a piano, but those people don't play. I will own this piano someday. This is possibly the only item that I would exchange for never driving a LandCruiser again.

The 225 doesn't have 88 keys, it has 4 extra bass keys for 92 total. The extra range and heavier soundboard carries the tone better.

4. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    Wife plays the prickalo...

5. ictcruiser

ictcruiser

I play the piano, the trombone and know my way around the trumpet(though I'm not good).

6. David*BJ70

David*BJ70 Looking forward to reach the end of the world

Drum, tam-tam... and all the percussion.

Guitard if some one show me the accord !

7. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    yeah, my wife plays a similar instrument called the "skinflute" - i think it could sound the same as the prickalo...a muffled humming sound

8. Felix

Felix

Started playing bass about 8 years ago when I realized it was like playing guitar without chords.

9. LabRat11

LabRat11

Play trombone. Chose it for it's simplicity. Tried some sousaphone but the mouth piece swallowed my face - and trumpet was like blowing through a hole in a dime. So trombone it is for me.

Also play piano and organ. In the 60's and 70's Grandma was an organist at East Liberty Presby in Pittsburgh. http://www.cathedralofhope.org/pipesofglory.html Freaking amazing instrument. Went with her many afternoons for her practice sessions. People would walk in off the street to listen - to rehersal!! Once in a while - you betcha - I broke out the toccata and fugue.

10. Riad

Riad

Drums (double base) + percussion. Bass and Guitar. Mostly in the basement to keep the noise down, these days I am more into wheeling than music. It's been a while since last time I jammed, let's say at least 8 years? My instrument is Drums. Rock and Metal is my music but playd some Pop stuff.

11. Tigerstripe40

Tigerstripe40

Tenor and Baritone saxophone for 12 years.
    Oboe for 8 years
    I've played the wide range on all 3 instruments. But doing jazz with the oboe is the most fun.
    It's just too bad that the Baritone Sax is used as little more than a percussion instrument

Bass guitar (badly) for 10 years.

12. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    Trumpet, since 5th grade...tho I haven't touched it in about 10 years....

Getzen Sevrenson...1976 model, damn nice horn....I'm one of those never practice first chair solo types...the rest of the section hated me :D

played with 8 different members of the Tonight Show Band when in college, did solo work for the King and Queen of Sweden (both in MN and in Sweden), and toured Germany/Sweden/Denmark with a jazz group.

Also played keyboard/piano throughout highschool....generally attended the State contest finals and shows for the last few years of my lesson taking....then did some jazz/blues work during and after college....

13. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    I believe only Benny Goodman or BB King would be able to top that....sheesh.

I own a Tennor Sax that my grandpa gave me....it works :D

14. 82-SOA-60

82-SOA-60

Very impressive Shark! I have always wanted to play a musical instrument, so I envy those folks that have the gift.

15. wcrbikemike

wcrbikemike

Alto and Tenor Sax for the past 20 years.

16. gulp3000

gulp3000

Played the bass off and on since highschool. Not in anything regular at the moment but I fill with my neighbor's bar band occasionally. Made a CD recently after moving back to my home town and reuniting with the guys from my younger days.

Garrett Street Band

17. Hltoppr

Hltoppr

Media:
    Albums:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    Learning the bagpipes! Noise complaints, here we come!

-H-

18. bkgiii

bkgiii SILVER Star

trumpet, english horn, french horn, fretless bass

19. LandCruiserSteve

LandCruiserSteve

Keyboards, trumpet, and got a little carried away with guitars . . .

20. ballardcruiser

ballardcruiser

Media:
    In order of playing ability... ukulele, guitar, and mandolin.