Anyone no the spring rate and lenth on the old man emu springs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Alright heres what im thinking . I figure my fj62 would sit aprox 2 inchs higher if it didnt have 255,000 miles on itIDe like it to sit aprox 4 inchs higher then it does right now maybe 5 inchs.

What i purpose to do is take my existing leaf springs to local spring shop. Have them remake my main leaf springs and make the new ones longer with more of a curve in them. And add a new leaf for the thrid leaf and gewt rest of the factory leafes rearched.

How long should i get the springs made and what spring rate should i ask them to do? Does this sound like a good idea>?

I figured beins i herd such good things about OME maybe i only go with 2 inch over stock oppinions please:doh:

whats the going price . im not trying to break the bank here ya no

Well under $600 for 4 new springs and all new bushings (including your frame)... I agree with Waggoner5, not worth the effort for minimal gains. The Dakars are going to get you the teflon pads, far better spring clamps, and ALL new steel. I would mabey do a re-arch if the money was REALLY tight, but for all the work that goes into a spring swap, do it right the first time.

<thread jack>
hey kurt

if i were to get the heavy duty kit and i don't yet have the accessories that would make it necessary (bull bar, winch, constantly carrying junk) what would the penalty be compared to the light/medium duty springs?

of course the ride will be harsher, will there be additional lift because the springs aren't loaded? somethign i can't think of?

baldredhead said:
...of course the ride will be harsher, will there be additional lift because the springs aren't loaded? somethign i can't think of?

The ride would be a bit rougher, and the lift may sit a 1/2" or so higher. But remember, but you ever plan to go to the Heavy kit, just do it now. The only difference between the heavy and the medium/light springs is one leaf. It take 30 minutes to pull that leaf out of each pack when they are loose, alot longer when they are on the truck. So if you want the medium now, spend the few extra dollars, pull the leaf and have it for later. If not, the add-a-leafs are $45 each...

cruiseroutfit said:
The ride would be a bit rougher, and the lift may sit a 1/2" or so higher. But remember, but you ever plan to go to the Heavy kit, just do it now. The only difference between the heavy and the medium/light springs is one leaf. It take 30 minutes to pull that leaf out of each pack when they are loose, alot longer when they are on the truck. So if you want the medium now, spend the few extra dollars, pull the leaf and have it for later. If not, the add-a-leafs are $45 each...

you is a mind reader, that was my next question :D when the time comes it'll be the heavies - thanks

ive herd something about useing the chevy truck leaf springs but haveing to reloacate the shackle points on the frame anyone tried this have and sugestions on it?

ok i'm a little confused. there is light/medium and heavy duty kits on the page. but is there a medium/heavy kit?, if there is, what's the diference between the light/medium and the medium/heavy?

FJ60_cruiser said:
ok i'm a little confused. there is light/medium and heavy duty kits on the page. but is there a medium/heavy kit?, if there is, what's the diference between the light/medium and the medium/heavy?

There is any kit you want to create. We just put together the two most polular kits that customers are satisfied with. There are essentially 4 different front springs that can be made for a FJ60 and 3 different rear springs.

baldredhead said:
<thread jack>
hey kurt

if i were to get the heavy duty kit and i don't yet have the accessories that would make it necessary (bull bar, winch, constantly carrying junk) what would the penalty be compared to the light/medium duty springs?

of course the ride will be harsher, will there be additional lift because the springs aren't loaded? somethign i can't think of?

Your 62 weighs approximately 245 pounds more than a 60 due to the auto tranny, efi, etc., most of which located on the front half of the truck. I'd get the heavies to start with.

CSA said:
Your 62 weighs approximately 245 pounds more than a 60 due to the auto tranny, efi, etc., most of which located on the front half of the truck. I'd get the heavies to start with.

Chris has a very good point, a lesson that was learned with his truck. The extra weight of the 62' makes the heavy setup a wise idea. Thanks again Chris!

cruiseroutfit said:
Chris has a very good point, a lesson that was learned with his truck. The extra weight of the 62' makes the heavy setup a wise idea. Thanks again Chris!

heh, funny i ran across the same advice somewhere else whilst searching and had already changed my mind.

have you spoken with santa claus? will he be able to fit the springs down my chimney? :D :crybaby: :D

baldredhead said:
...have you spoken with santa claus? will he be able to fit the springs down my chimney? :D :crybaby: :D

Yes, he can bring them, but I need you to call with the credit card info :D ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom