Anyone nearby have the Dobinson Tapered lift yet? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning on lifting my 94 after the new year and leaning toward the 3 inch Tapered Dobinson springs. Wondered if anyone close by (ALB) has one they would be willing to show off? Im still trying to come up with a parts list as I have never done a lift but I'm ready to dive into it.

I've never heard of these springs. What's the advantage and where would you find them?

I have a hybrid lift with a combination of spacers and longer springs on my '93. You are welcome to check it out if it would be helpful. I would imagine the basic lift components would be the same. You have to allow for adjusting the panhard rods that locate the axle from side to side (front and rear axles). The front axle typically needs a caster adjustment for steering and also for driveshaft angle. The rear axle usually needs adjustment for driveshaft angle. I went from regular U-joints in the driveshafts to double cardan joints to allow for more flexibility with less vibration. With a three inch lift, not all of this may be necessary. My lift is 5 - 6 inches.

I would suggest a reputable shop to help with the whole project. This suspension stuff really is a science, and you are potentially putting the lives of you and your family and friends at risk if it's not done correctly. But it does give your rig more capabilities off road, allow for larger tires, etc., and those can be big advantages on the trail.

Good luck!

I've never heard of these springs. What's the advantage and where would you find them?

I have a hybrid lift with a combination of spacers and longer springs on my '93. You are welcome to check it out if it would be helpful. I would imagine the basic lift components would be the same. You have to allow for adjusting the panhard rods that locate the axle from side to side (front and rear axles). The front axle typically needs a caster adjustment for steering and also for driveshaft angle. The rear axle usually needs adjustment for driveshaft angle. I went from regular U-joints in the driveshafts to double cardan joints to allow for more flexibility with less vibration. With a three inch lift, not all of this may be necessary. My lift is 5 - 6 inches.

I would suggest a reputable shop to help with the whole project. This suspension stuff really is a science, and you are potentially putting the lives of you and your family and friends at risk if it's not done correctly. But it does give your rig more capabilities off road, allow for larger tires, etc., and those can be big advantages on the trail.

Good luck!

They are fairly new, not a lot of vendors from what I can tell.

The tapered are like the slinky springs (Dual rate/progressive?). Allow more down travel and longer shocks. soft ride, supposedly better performing on and off road. I have looked into it a bit but still admittedly have no experience. I believe with the 3 inch I can use the 2.5 inch castor plates, longer brakelines and bump stop spacers. Also drop down sway bar blocks from slee.

I could be wrong but the 5-6 inch your running has a lot more components effected. I wont ever go that high because mine is a daily driver (but I have a company truck for work). Thanks for the offer @evanz80 much appreciated. Envious of those big cruisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom