Anyone mount LEDs on interior rear hatch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_7255.JPG
I cut a slots in the plastic cover of the hatch and mounted two of these strips, controlled by a rocker switch in the hatch release recess. They are almost too bright.
https://www.amazon.com/RioRand-2-Piece-Waterproof-Aluminum-Daytime/dp/B077N15T4S

IMG_7257.JPG

Last edited:
I was thinking of stuffing dualies in the speaker holes. I swear i seen it done on here, but i think ill toss some led tape on the cargo hatch as well, but Landcruiser phil has me thinking less is more.

I was thinking of stuffing dualies in the speaker holes. I swear i seen it done on here, but i think ill toss some led tape on the cargo hatch as well, but Landcruiser phil has me thinking less is more.

See @2KCruiser post #19 above

20160523_141904-jpg.1262922

Painted the rear speaker covers. Now known as LED Cargo Light Covers. Each side has 9 Leds on them. Looks pretty bright even with the covers on. What's really great is that the speaker covers actually reduce all side glare and will mostly shoot the light downward so I won't be blinded when I open the rear hatch like the dome lights usually do.

View attachment 1262921

View attachment 1262922
Where can I find the model of LEDs you used @2KCruiser. I’ve been wanting to do the same thing in that area.

@LandCruiserPhil what lights did you use in the 3rd row bolt holes? I like that. Nice and clean.

@LandCruiserPhil what lights did you use in the 3rd row bolt holes? I like that. Nice and clean.

Picked them up from West Marine, 1" button LED. Have been very happy with the mod and wife approved.

Where can I find the model of LEDs you used @2KCruiser. I’ve been wanting to do the same thing in that area.
Had them laying around at the shop. You can technically use any 3" LED housing that is flat on the backside to fit inside the speaker mounting area.

I've been meaning to do this for some time but my low tech system works just fine so I never make the time to install any lights.

Magnetic NAPA work light. I just stick it to the hatch when open and aim light accordingly. Has high/low and standard flashlight setting. Charges with USB cord.

BlueFuel Swivel and Tilt Rechargeable 10 LED Work Light

I have same but does not seem as bright as your pic?
Dave, I had the same issue when I first hooked it up. Turns out the hatch is not well grounded. I ran a separate ground to a bolt that holds one of the struts to the body and that fixed it. I also didn't mention that I ran a separate power line into the hatch up through the D pillar and out through the rubber grommet/tube at the top of the hatch.

3BB9B111-9606-43B6-9E99-5B92452F3D93.jpeg

While I am a big fan of hardwired solutions, as I get older sometimes simpler is better :).

I picked these magnetic swivel LEDs up at Lowe’s and have been using them for about a year with great success. Super bright, dimension wise and angle wise they fit perfectly on the bottom edge of the top hatch, and they can rotate out to light behind the vehicle or shine straight down on the tailgate. IIRC they were about $25 for the pair. Run on three AAAs.

B97A1DB9-99D9-4562-9913-C31EFCC82EF7.jpeg

View attachment 1721613

While I am a big fan of hardwired solutions, as I get older sometimes simpler is better :).

I picked these magnetic swivel LEDs up at Lowe’s and have been using them for about a year with great success. Super bright, dimension wise and angle wise they fit perfectly on the bottom edge of the top hatch, and they can rotate out to light behind the vehicle or shine straight down on the tailgate. IIRC they were about $25 for the pair. Run on three AAAs.

View attachment 1721612
Nice find, would be good for under the hood as well, I like that they are mobile..

I was going to fit a pair of the touch sensitive switch versions I saw when out and about with a UK club member but have had a rethink.

During a normal work day around engines I use the hand held LED lamps that are rechargeable, safe around fuel and so forth, and I have been impressed by there reliability taking knocks ect.

So I purchased two of the newer 5v versions, using a couple of spring clips on either side of the tailgate the lamps are held in place, this is where they would normally spend their life, each has a on/off switch. The cable is hard wired from the power distribution point through a resistor and exits next to each of the lamps which it plugs into, this cable goes live with the engine running, or if any one of the two solar panels are plugged in.

So two birds with one stone really, 60 LED's in each lamp plenty for cooking and other usual needs around the rear of the 80, if there is a need to work on the car in the dark there are two charged lamps that can be unclipped and used wherever needed, never need to think about packing a torch again, if I had any reservations it would be the brightness of the white light, unsure yet but they may attract mosquito's?

I have read you can put a clear plastic filter (yellow?) over the lamps which is less attractive to the blighters, I burn plenty of coils that should be enough...hopefully.

Regards

Dave

Could you share the parts used(part numbers/links to), where you acquired them and how much you spent on the project. Also if you could include where you tapped in to power and if you did ACC/Direct/tapped in to rear dome light that would be really helpful for others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom