1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone live near Lexington, KY? Possible relocation

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Cube Dweller, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

Got a call from a headhunter and there's a decent chance I could wind up with an offer to go to work for a large co. in Lexington. I've never lived anywhere besides Norcal. Visited and drove around VA last year, thought it was pretty but humid.

From a career perspective it could be a good move, with cost of living adjustments I would wind up ahead with greater potential for advancement.

The downside is being away from family...all my friends and family are within a 2 hour radius and family is important to us, especially with a 16 month old and working on another.

Feedback?

2. phishtaco

phishtaco Cincinnati

My wife is from Lexington...actually considering moving back there, maybe. Its nice, but its humid. I've never been to CA so I can't compare. I'm sure COL is way cheaper.

3. cabron

cabron

Media:
    I live in Louisville, 45 minutes away from Lexington. Suprisingly the 16th largest city in the nation, alot of night life, plenty to do as far as outdoors goes during three seasons of the year. Lexington is definitely not quite there yet, big college town with UofK there. In Louisville we have an extensive park system, designed by same gentlemen that did Central Park in NY, lots of mountain biking, great eclectic scene. You'd be happier in Louisville if it is an option, but overall Lexington is a decent city to live. Cost of living way lower than Cali, but not cheap cheap. If you have any questions PM me or respond to this, Brian

4. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew On the way there SILVER Star

Boy Tony-It would be a mixed bag for sure. I lived in the South East for 26 years, and while it has it's charms, it isn't the West Coast. You would have a major cultural adjustment to make, and there isn't the same focus back there on outdoor activities and athletics. If you like to run, mountain bike, ski, 4 wheel etc, you will be much happier in California, or anywhere in the West. It all comes down to that "career" thing. If your work will be more interesting and more rewarding, financially and otherwise, and it's enough to offset not seeing your family and not having built in baby sitters, then do it and don't look back. Last time home, I was shocked at how cheap nice realestate still was. I looked at an old plantation property in Virginia with 300+ acres plus a huge house and outbuildings for less than I could sell my current modest home for here. That part of it is tempting. Good luck whatever you decide.

5. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

Thanks.

I seriously doubt I'll do it, but I want to at least gather info and make an informed decision. Like you mentioned, I could sell my place here and pay cash for a nicer place out there w/ the proceeds. Sorta changes things when you aren't concerned about rent or a mortgage.

The timing is interesting...if you've paid attention to the business press lately you know what's going on where I work and to get a call on Friday from a headhunter is an interesting coincidence. In most circumstances I wouldn't have entertained it at all.

6. TLCA_Paul

TLCA_Paul

Humi, yes. Wheeling, Not near as good. But we have something you don't normaly see in California. MUD! Leaves changing colors. Winters suk. We also got Rust. No decent snowboarding for aday trip.

but it's cheaper than California, and easy to get around. Cincinnati is an hour north. We drive thru Lexigton alot to go to Florida. Tellico, Gatlinburg, Red River Gorge. but we drve thru Louisville to get to Colorado, and California.

7. beno

beno 23424-23216 Moderator GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I moved from NorCal to Ohio...I drive through Lexington all the time...I-75.

Biggest bad move of my life... :rolleyes:

I miss CA a lot--

I wouldn't do it...knowing what I know now...

8. Josh83

Josh83

I'm about 20 minutes away, in Frankfort. Lexington is nice. Decent schools, congestion and traffic aren't too bad, and the people are mostly friendly. I also recently read a study that said Lexington is the 8th safest city in the US. If you get serious and come out for a visit I might be able to tour you around, or at least meet for a brew. I've lived right here all my 22 years, so I can show you around.

9. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

A conundrum...that's for sure.
    Have them fly you out for a visit...you'll never know for sure until you see it for yourself.

That said, I've travelled through most regions of the U.S. Stayed in different areas for a week or two at a time. There aren't many places I'd prefer to be other than here in overpriced, overtaxed CA.

Not to say that I wouldn't move for the right opportunity -- but that would need to be a HUGE career jump for me.

10. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

Thanks for all the feedback guys. After a long talk last night with my wife we decided not to pursue it. With an 18 month old and hopefully another on the way soon it's just too far from family.

I did enjoy my business trip to Norfolk VA last May, I assume the climate is similar, plus it's beautiful, much more lush than the barren west(beautiful in it's own way). Peeps we worked with said it does get brutally hot and humid during the summer.

No looking back now.

tony

11. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew On the way there SILVER Star

Tony-Did you survive the bloodletting this AM at HP? I saw 14K jobs cut. Good luck.