Anyone know where to get a new auxiliary fuel tank solenoid switch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 77 40 came with an auxiliary fuel tank that worked when i got it. it has been some time since i used it and the other day when i tried, i ran out of gas after about 30 sec after switching to the aux tank. the primary tank still works fine. i sat down and made a schematic of the whole system and the only thing that i can think of is that the solenoid is somehow stuck so that both tanks are shut off. is that possible? and does anyone know where to get a new one. there is no label on it to see where it came from.

Thanks guys.

db:beer:

Pollak is the brand I used.

I picked up a Pollak 42-159P fuel tank selector valve/switch.

Has 3 - 3/8 nipples and 3 - 5/16" return nipples and is rated for 65 PSI. $46.64

42-203 Pig tail was extra $6.35
34-592 3 way Toggle was extra (on off on) $2.82
42-201 Face plate was extra $1.59

Last edited:
do you know who carries them?

do you know the official name of it? is it a fuel selector valve?

pollak fuel selector valve. Is it a 6 port or 3 port?

I got mine here

POLLAK® ELECTRIC FUEL TANK SELECTOR VALVES - CarParts Quality Discount Parts and Accessories

If you've already got the switch and wiring I think you can pick up just the valve itself on ebay.

If the primary tank is working, why do you think it's stuck so both tanks are off? It would be pretty easy to remove the valve and blow through the ports to see if it's working. When it's switching you can hear a very short, slight noise as it moves.

If it's just a problem with the aux tank, check the fuel lines from the tank to the valve. Mine got pinched during installation so I had to drop the tank and fix it.

I am looking for a 3 port solenoid valve 24v as well for my newly acquired spare fuel tank in Bolivia. Any one ideas, I have been mailing around for a week...

Adventurous greetings,
Coen

can the solenoid fail so that both tanks are off? that is what is happening when i switch to the aux tank.

3 port at Rockauto $36.99, cheaper than when I bought it.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Alan

Edit: the link above didn't work like I hoped. Just type in fv1 in the "part number search" tab.

I found it. It doesn´t say anything on 12v or 24v... why is there no info on this?

Napa, Kragen, AutoZone, O'Rielly's, etc.

pollak fuel selector valve. Is it a 6 port or 3 port?

I got mine here

POLLAK® ELECTRIC FUEL TANK SELECTOR VALVES - CarParts Quality Discount Parts and Accessories

If you've already got the switch and wiring I think you can pick up just the valve itself on ebay.

If the primary tank is working, why do you think it's stuck so both tanks are off? It would be pretty easy to remove the valve and blow through the ports to see if it's working. When it's switching you can hear a very short, slight noise as it moves.

If it's just a problem with the aux tank, check the fuel lines from the tank to the valve. Mine got pinched during installation so I had to drop the tank and fix it.

Guys maybe I´m completely off but so far I have tried , Napa, Autozone and carparts.com and all come up gooseeggs for the Pollack 6 way fuel selector valve.:bang: I googled and came up with oilybits in England but I´d rather get the full kit from a US vendor to avoid costly shipping charges. Anyone got a link that works? Thanks

Here is their website. Search the internet with the part number. You have to use their switch as it functions differently from a standard on-off-on. Photos of where I located the switch and 6 port valve. You have to put a filter between each tank and the valve. The valve is only energized to switch between tanks and then it turns off. This setup is far superior to using a solenoid.

Pollak Fuel Selector Valves
Fuel Selector Switch 02.jpg
Fuel Switching Valve 03.jpg

Guys,
Thanks. JC Whitney was the site that I had in the back of mind but couldn´t articulate. In re-reading the Pollack site I noticed a line that I haven´t noticed repeated in the product descriptions of this valve on other sites, ebay etc.

Light Truck 6-Port Motor Driven Valve on Pollak

" These valves are designed for use in applications which involve in-tank fuel pumps, not exceeding the rated pres sure of the valve. "

The aux fuel tank for the 1HZ doesn´t run an in tank fuel pump. Am I going to have trouble using the Pollack switch?

Guys,
Thanks. JC Whitney was the site that I had in the back of mind but couldn´t articulate. In re-reading the Pollack site I noticed a line that I haven´t noticed repeated in the product descriptions of this valve on other sites, ebay etc.

Light Truck 6-Port Motor Driven Valve on Pollak

" These valves are designed for use in applications which involve in-tank fuel pumps, not exceeding the rated pres sure of the valve. "

The aux fuel tank for the 1HZ doesn´t run an in tank fuel pump. Am I going to have trouble using the Pollack switch?

I have the 6 port system and both tanks pull just fine off the factory fuel pump on the block. I run an 8 micron fuel filter on the output of each tank before the valve. I've been running this setup for a number of years and have never had any issue with the valve or switch. I really like the fact that the valve also switches the fuel level sending unit.

I have the 6 port system and both tanks pull just fine off the factory fuel pump on the block. I run an 8 micron fuel filter on the output of each tank before the valve. I've been running this setup for a number of years and have never had any issue with the valve or switch. I really like the fact that the valve also switches the fuel level sending unit.

Great to hear, I was impressed by the same feature of the unit, the ability to switch sending units and have both tanks read off of the factory fuel gauge. Thanks.:cheers: I'm going with the 6 port model.

MOTOR-DRIVEN FUEL TANK SELECTOR VALVE - JCWhitney

The previous owner put a manual switch in my '40. Mounted it to the floor next to the drivers seat.

Fuel Tank Selector Valve - WILD HORSES Early Ford Bronco Parts & Accessories

I have the pollok for my mini truck (with factory fuel sending units and in-tank pumps).

Also: Late 60's early 70's fords have a fuel tank switch which IMO looks right for a Land Cruiser. (see photo)
etruckswitch.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom