Anyone know where this oil leak might be from? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Moving on to the next issue I found with an 04 LX. This is right by the alternator and covered in oil residue. Anyone know what it is and if it’s oil related? Thanks

51945177-2506-4F36-B6F9-F1B6BA7DF2ED.jpeg

CA8611A7-3B8B-41DF-A5CA-C373B44EA6A7.jpeg

That’s your timing belt tensioner. Oil leak is likely from either the TB No. 1 idler pulley bolt or passenger side cam shaft seal. Common mistake when doing TB job is not coating the idler pulley bolt with threadlocker (or buying a new precoated bolt from Toyota).

That’s your timing belt tensioner. Oil leak is likely from either the TB No. 1 idler pulley bolt or passenger side cam shaft seal. Common mistake when doing TB job is not coating the idler pulley bolt with threadlocker (or buying a new precoated bolt from Toyota).

Damn, not what I wanted to hear. The TB was done in Texas at a Toyota dealer 30k ago. I am now in CT with the truck. Work was done before I owned it. This a big job to fix?

Damn, not what I wanted to hear. The TB was done in Texas at a Toyota dealer 30k ago. I am now in CT with the truck. Work was done before I owned it. This a big job to fix?
Unfortunately, dealer service depts. often do not replace anything other than the belt and water pump when doing the job. The timing belt has to be removed to replace the idler bolt and/or cam seal.

Unfortunately, dealer service depts. often do not replace anything other than the belt and water pump when doing the job. The timing belt has to be removed to replace the idler bolt and/or cam seal.

Ouch, so is this an immediate get fixed item? I just noticed this. No oil drips on the pavement from it.

Ouch, so is this an immediate get fixed item? I just noticed this. No oil drips on the pavement from it.
If oil gets on the timing belt it could meet an early death.

First thing I would do is remove the drive belt, the 3 bolts and 1 nut holding the passenger side (no. 3) timing cover, and pull that cover off to have a look inside. You’ll be able to see if the cam seal is leaking or not. Removing the no.2 timing cover to see if the idler bolt is the source of the leak is a bit more involved.

First thing I would do is remove the drive belt, the 3 bolts and 1 nut holding the passenger side (no. 3) timing cover, and pull that cover off to have a look inside. You’ll be able to see if the cam seal is leaking or not. Removing the no.2 timing cover to see if the idler bolt is the source of the leak is a bit more involved.

This is a good start. Appreciate the info. I’ll take a peek and see what I can find.

Here’s some pics with the PS cover off. I don’t see oil leaking from the seal. Everything on the PS cam area looks dry to me.

C9FDA433-2E33-4B18-9800-C45241170733.jpeg

E5670532-0B14-45AD-8D9E-0BE567A4B703.jpeg

4229951D-0500-4704-B5ED-A52070882E1E.jpeg

95C14C53-8AC9-4513-B00C-289D59B99B74.jpeg

Yep - cam seal looks fine.

I cleaned the tensioner off, I’m wondering if it’s old grime from a prior leak. I only put a few miles on the truck since I got it. I couldn’t figure out the driver side cover before the rain.

I cleaned the tensioner off, I’m wondering if it’s old grime from a prior leak. I only put a few miles on the truck since I got it. I couldn’t figure out the driver side cover before the rain.
Anything is possible because it was done by a dealer. They typically don’t replace the tensioner. But the oil on it looks rather fresh to me. Run it for a while and check again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom