Anyone know where I can get a set of Dobinsons torsion bars for gas 100 series and their C59-171 springs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A lot of vendors show it as in stock but when you email them they are out of stock. Exit off road me they won't have them in until march-ish. Does anyone know where I can get these now?

I thought @crikeymike at Exit Offroad was carrying OME torsion bars as an alternative to cover the Dobinsons torsion bar shortage?

Dobinsons C59-171 seems very similar to OME 864 springs, except for the turquoise blue color. I’m sure that there are other vendors with similar specs. (These are rather heavy springs, I hope you have a fair bit of weight in the rear.)

Dobinsons C59-171 320lb 480mm 490mm
OME 2864 (or 864) 320lb 480mm 490mm

I thought @crikeymike at Exit Offroad was carrying OME torsion bars as an alternative to cover the Dobinsons torsion bar shortage?

Dobinsons C59-171 seems very similar to OME 864 springs, except for the turquoise blue color. (I hope you have a fair bit of weight in the rear.)

Oh that's a good alternative, thanks! I plan to build a drawer system and install a steel rear bumper with tire carrier. Do you think this is the appropriate spring for that use case?

Dobinsons C59-171 seems very similar to OME 864 springs, except for the turquoise blue color. I’m sure that there are other vendors with similar specs. (These are rather heavy springs, I hope you have a fair bit of weight in the rear.)

That's right, we do.

C59-171 are waaaayyyyy overkill unless you have at least 800LBS on the back end.
These are the coil options for the 100 series: Dobinsons 100 Series Landcruiser Rear Coil Spring Options - https://exitoffroad.com/product/dobinsons-rear-coil-spring-options-for-toyota-land-cruiser-100-series/

C59-185 would be the most you'd want to add with your plans.

Oh that's a good alternative, thanks! I plan to build a drawer system and install a steel rear bumper with tire carrier. Do you think this is the appropriate spring for that use case?

I believe that’s what @OwnerCS is running, in the rear of his vehicle, so he might be better able to answer this question, but I believe the C59-171 are recommended for a constant (additional) 880lb

I believe that’s what @OwnerCS is running, in the rear of his vehicle, so he might be better able to answer this question, but I believe the C59-171 are recommended for a constant (additional) 880lb

I love my C59-171 springs. I am usually loaded way over GVWR Note that I drive a lot of curvy mountain roads and I like an agile suspension. Quick accelleration, short stopping, and turning. The tires are 285/75/r16 on SCS F5.

A lot thought, planning and weight estimation went into my rear suspension build.

I have a Dobinsons rear bumper, and a Dobinsions rear box that is full heavy spare parts like CV axles, floor jack, and more parts.

1639483633511.png

I love my C59-171 springs. I am usually loaded way over GVWR Note that I drive a lot of curvy mountain roads and I like an agile suspension. Quick accelleration, short stopping, and turning. The tires are 285/75/r16 on SCS F5.

A lot thought, planning and weight estimation went into my rear suspension build.

I have a Dobinsons rear bumper, and a Dobinsions rear box that is full heavy spare parts like CV axles, floor jack, and more parts.

View attachment 2864970
I’ve got torsions and some spring rates in stock at ozark overland outfitters

A lot of vendors show it as in stock but when you email them they are out of stock. Exit off road me they won't have them in until march-ish. Does anyone know where I can get these now?

Jason has some. I’ve got a set of springs waiting on me to pick them up.

That's right, we do.

C59-171 are waaaayyyyy overkill unless you have at least 800LBS on the back end.
These are the coil options for the 100 series: Dobinsons 100 Series Landcruiser Rear Coil Spring Options - https://exitoffroad.com/product/dobinsons-rear-coil-spring-options-for-toyota-land-cruiser-100-series/

C59-185 would be the most you'd want to add with your plans.

View attachment 2864970

View attachment 2864970
When you do the weight estimate should you include all weight or just what's in the rear half? Should I include sliders and skids in the estimate?

When you do the weight estimate should you include all weight or just what's in the rear half? Should I include sliders and skids in the estimate?
Just what is over the cargo area basically. Think about loading up for a camping trip, all the stuff that can go in the cargo area or on the roof adds up to this added weight, and then of course a rear bumper or any other permanently mounted accessories too.

Slider weight is balanced front to rear, so it's not really counted. Skid weight is usually forward of the rear axle as well.

Things that usually add into rear weight calculations:
Drawers
RTT
Rear bumper
2nd fuel tank
Towing/tongue weight
Hitch carrier, dirt bike carrier, etc

Just what is over the cargo area basically. Think about loading up for a camping trip, all the stuff that can go in the cargo area or on the roof adds up to this added weight, and then of course a rear bumper or any other permanently mounted accessories too.

Slider weight is balanced front to rear, so it's not really counted. Skid weight is usually forward of the rear axle as well.

Things that usually add into rear weight calculations:
Drawers
RTT
Rear bumper
2nd fuel tank
Towing/tongue weight
Hitch carrier, dirt bike carrier, etc
Cool thanks for the info!

View attachment 2864970
Are you carrying around a spare transmission, too? Geez man!

Are you carrying around a spare transmission, too? Geez man!

Maybe…

Maybe…

Thanks Jay. LOL - I think we had more 100 series parts on the trip than three Toyota parts departments -- at least the ones I know about.

1639570961764.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom