Anyone know what this popping noise is from the drivers front? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nope, I haven’t. I just slap grease on the stoppers when I change the engine oil lol.
=] Seems like that is going to be part of the procedure for me as well.

I'll check around at the hardware store to see if they have a similar hex head cap for a larger size.

>> I'll crawl under and check soon but any idea of what size that stopper bolt is? I think it's a 15mm. I wonder if something like this of the appropriate size would be a good option to help soften the blow. .

Worth a shot. But I don’t know that anything will stand up to the abuse in that location.
Yeah true...I'll give it a go.
I guess it just leads me back to wondering why the contact is even happening. I never had this issue before. I suppose somewhere along the line a part isn't happy / adjusted right and causing this. Just sucks that I have just about replaced every part on the front end to have only cause more problems =]

Yeah true...I'll give it a go.
I guess it just leads me back to wondering why the contact is even happening. I never had this issue before. I suppose somewhere along the line a part isn't happy / adjusted right and causing this. Just sucks that I have just about replaced every part on the front end to have only cause more problems =]
I urge you to reframe your thinking about this. The fact that the contact is happening is *a good thing*. It means the stoppers are doing what they’re supposed to do (e.g., prevent the rack from over extending while turning). The converse to this is that your previous reman rack was likely compromised before the seals started leaking, which is why the stoppers never made contact before. @2001LC has a thread somewhere detailing why the stoppers need to be adjusted so that they do make contact.

I urge you to reframe your thinking about this. The fact that the contact is happening is *a good thing*. It means the stoppers are doing what they’re supposed to do (e.g., prevent the rack from over extending while turning). The converse to this is that your previous reman rack was likely compromised before the seals started leaking, which is why the stoppers never made contact before. @2001LC has a thread somewhere detailing why the stoppers need to be adjusted so that they do make contact.

Yeah agreed.

OP: They are an engineered item on this vehicle with a purpose, just because they weren't being hit previously doesn't mean that's the standard from which to measure.

Last edited:
Yeah I get that for sure. And when the vehicle is parked and the rack is at full extension the stopper contacts the knuckle right where it should and would never have an issue.

What I don't consider normal is that when the vehicle has any weight shift or off camber situations that thing will slide / pop off from where it should be contacting. To me that translates to an problem.

>>>> Something I noticed is that my steering wheel also turns about 3/4 turn further to the left VS the right, does that indicate possible issue with the install?

Something I noticed is that my steering wheel also turns about 3/4 turn further to the left VS the right, does that indicate possible issue with the install?
Yes, and very well could be the source of the issue you’re having.

Yes, and very well could be the source of the issue you’re having.
If you had to guess what does that usually indicate? The problem im up against now is lack of a mechanic / alignment shop who gives a s***. Toyota pretty much is done dealing with this issue unless I have something solid to show them was done wrong .

If you had to guess what does that usually indicate? The problem im up against now is lack of a mechanic / alignment shop who gives a s***. Toyota pretty much is done dealing with this issue unless I have something solid to show them was done wrong .
It indicates that the Toyota tech installed the steering shaft onto the rack when either the rack or the steering wheel were not centered. It’s not a wheel alignment issue - it’s an installation issue.

Another part to help with a band-aid fix for those who have stopper - knuckle contact / popping.
>>Amazon product ASIN B07V6WVT3H
The toyota knuckle caps are too small and work with the older 4runners and t100s.

We'll see how long it holds up. Between greasing the stopper, using these caps, and just not turning full lock I suppose I can move on from this concern for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom