Anyone know of a self voltage regulated bolt in alternator replacement for a 1971 FJ40? My stock alternator is dying and underpowered. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my stock alternator is dying and producing erratic high AMPs as well as blowing external voltage regulators. I’m planning to add a Vintage Air AC system and need at least a 60 amp alternator, preferably one with an internal voltage regulator and one that bolts right in. Does this even exist?

So my stock alternator is dying and producing erratic high AMPs as well as blowing external voltage regulators. I’m planning to add a Vintage Air AC system and need at least a 60 amp alternator, preferably one with an internal voltage regulator and one that bolts right in. Does this even exist?
My 69 runs two. One is the stock alt and a second 150 amp that Gary from Gen Star in Phoenix built. $150 +1 (623) 939-2202.

The F alternator has the adjust ear clocked off at 10:30 with pivot mount straight down.
Screenshot_20210329-153112~2.png

The 2F alternator has adjust ear straight up.
Screenshot_20210329-153820~2.png

The 22RE alternator pictured below is the same configuration as the 65-74 F.
Screenshot_20210329-153217~2.png

You’re the man! Thank you for that! I’ve been panicking on what alternator to upgrade to. So that 22RE alternator you posted is a direct bolt in on an F engine? I’ve heard I need to bypass the ammeter if I go above the 45 amp stock alternator? Is bypassing a major ordeal?
The F alternator has the adjust ear clocked off at 10:30 with pivot mount straight down.
View attachment 2629962

The 2F alternator has adjust ear straight up.
View attachment 2629964

The 22RE alternator pictured below is the same configuration as the 65-74 F.
View attachment 2629966

Depending how it's set up, an ammeter in the dash passes all of the amperage through it to the harness. Once you exceed the rating of the guage and the wire, you create smoke. Once the smoke appears, the rest is a bad day, especially under the dash. I only run ammeters in things that have less than a 50 amp charge ability. A voltmeter is so much more useful.

Did you have a wiring schematic for this or how you bypassed the Volt Reg?

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom