1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Know (more or less) How Much A Rail Road Rail Weighs???

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by turbocruiser, Jul 12, 2005.

1. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

Hi folks, as the title says, I'm trying to find out more or less how much a twenty foot rail from a rail road weighs. Behind my backyard I have an old rustic rail road trail that is filled with wildflowers, birds, bees and an absolutely awesome unobstructed view of the Rocky Mountain front range. An organization called Rails to Trails has started to work on the trail to make it an official nature trail with trailhead markings and maps and signs. It has always been a wonderful walk for the dog and people even take their horses up there to trot around.

Problem is we had a city engineering crew come out to work on some infrastructure about three miles down the trail and they left three twenty foot long rails laying across part of the trail. I called the city right away to tell them and they were going to line them back parallel to the trail and off to the side. Of course the numbnuts forgot to do that before packing up the equipment and now do not want to pack the equipment back up to fix the problem. I got permission to move the rails myself and was thinking about taking the cruiser and a tow strap and just driving em down the trail a ways and then off to the side. Is this realistic? I have no idea whether something like that would weigh 500 pounds or 5000 pounds - its allotta steel. Anyone, either by career or by hobby know what these things weigh??? Thanks.

2. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    not to be a smart ass, but it depends on what kind of rail it is. if I remember right, there are about 20+ different size rails, each is specific to the type of weight traffic on the rail and type of equipment using the rails. did you try to move one already?

Rail Weight
    The number of pounds per yard that rail weighs. Currently rail is being
    rolled at 112 to 145 pounds per yard.

if the rail is 100 lb rail, that means 3 feet ( 1 yard) of rail weighs 100
    pounds, if you look along the side of the rail, some where there should be
    raised letters saying what size the rail is and who made it. example 100
    area, 132 area, 115 area

3. mj1015

mj1015

4. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    I got a 1ft chunk of track for an anvil.........can lift it was one hand but 2 is better, 20ft of that would wieght a buttload, prolly take 8 or so guys to move it........or at least that I I remember from the movies ;)

5. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
  6. mj1015

mj1015

Pulling semi useless stuff out of my ass is about 1/2 my job.

"Hey Mike. how much will 1000" of RG 213 cable weigh?."

Aaaaagh, give me a minute. Bout a 104 pounds, what you need a 1000 feet of cable for?

"Oh nothing, just wondering"

7. stayalert

stayalert SILVER Star

With a big enough level you could definately move it.

8. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    a level?..............show me this trick :D

9. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

sheesh, didn't you see the photos of the guys carring rails with bars on their shoulders from the Old West time? :)

10. Jman

Jman

800 lbs.? I bet four or five guys could do it, or one guy and a come along, or one guy and a cruiser.

11. Junk

Junk

turbo - you ever move these? I moved a piece of rail around in the garage last night and checked the side - it's 136 which I believe means 136lbs per foot which is what Conrail is currently using between NY and Phila I believe. There's more info in outfitting related to an anvil thread.

Found this post while searching for something else.

12. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

No not yet, however I'm thinking of rigging them up somehow to support a friggin airplane conveyor belt contraption ... I'm on the verge of turning the world of physics upside down!!! :D :idea: :D

13. skyshark186

skyshark186

Media:

136 means that your rail is 136 pounds per 3 foot chunk. thus making a standard 39 foot "stick" weigh 1768 pounds.

Passenger trains normally use lighter rail than freight, for obvious reasons. Now if you really wanna suprise yourself.....imagine a locomotive spinning ALL its wheels at once till it burns ruts in the rails. Its pretty neat to watch till you realize you have to go replace that chunk of rail:eek:

If you still want to move it.....try dragging it rather than lifting it if you can. Lifting it will be a PITA, and youll probably just hurt yourself. You could try to be inginuitive and jack up both ends and put whatever type of roller youve got under it. Sorta depends on where your trying to get it.

14. skyshark186

skyshark186

Media:
    scuff the web of the rail(the part between the top and bottom) and there should be a rollmark. Something along the lines of 99-156. That will let you more accurately know how heavy it is......

15. Jman

Jman

But what if those rails were on a conveyor belt on the deck of an aircraft carrier suspended in the air by four massive zeppelins traveling fast enough to match the rotation of the earth? :confused: :flipoff2:

16. skyshark186

skyshark186

Media:
    Zeppelins are not capable of reaching that speed. The atmospheric friction would burn holes in the main balloon fabric. :D
    :flipoff2:

Get a team of sled dogs and attach them to the rail and say MUSH:flipoff2:

17. osagecruiser

osagecruiser

watch out for that rails to trails group...before long you will not be allowed on that trail....they will not want to pay property taxes to the county for that land and they will ask local cities to improve the trails...big hassle here in kansas right now...farmers want the land back...urban folks want the trails and right now they are blocked off with no tresspassing signs.....i think the land should go to the adjoing property owners and be done with it....just my .02

osagecruiser

18. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

Cruiser and strap should move them no problem but how are you going to attach the strap? :confused:

Cut a hole for a D- ring?

Weld a ring on it?

Before doing anything I'd make sure your Cruiser will be allowed on this fantastic trail when it's all done.

19. tx4guns

tx4guns

Fyi

Railroad rail is usually controlled by the state's railroad commission. It cannot be sold as scrap iron unless the proper license is obtained from the railroad company. If you have rail in your possession, and you don't have permission, be careful who you show it to. It can get you into a bunch of trouble. Just making you aware.

20. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

There are already holes at the ends of each rail so putting a snatch strap with two shackles between the rail and the truck is easy as easy is.

The trail is not intended to wheel with; it is a nature trail that horses and dogs run up and down on.

I am glad to hear about the rails to trails thing though, thanks for that osage.