Anyone know anything about this build? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I built it. What do you want to know?

I built it. What do you want to know?
Holy crap! This is awesome. Did you do just the motor and trans or suspension too? It seems like it was built for off roading more so than a daily driver. What were the thoughts on the direction of the build? What mods if any were done to the motor? Governor spring? More boost? Tuning? Etc? Is it the stock turbo? I can’t tell. The plate isn’t there. What year are the engine and trans? What did it come out of? How many miles were on it? Did you put the power lock rear end in it? Any obstacles or headaches during the build? What’s your background? Are you a mechanic or just an enthusiast? I love the truck and have changed some things I’ll post pics when I can. Thank you so much!!!!

I did all of it except for the front bumper fab because I don't have a tube bender. . It was built mostly for offroading. The engine is stock. The pump was built by our fuel injection shop and has a 3200 RPM governer spring and a modified fuel pin. The fuel has been turned up and the injectors are 370HP marine injectors. The turbo has been modified with a 12cm turbine housing and a larger compressor wheel for more boost. The engine is a 1989 model and it came out of a Ford chassis bread truck. I have no idea how many miles were on it. The tranny is a 1998 Dodge NV4500. I did install the power lock in the rear. My background is some mechanicing and I have worked on cars and trucks since I was old enough to turn a wrench, but my main job is a machinist.

There were a lot of obstacles along the way but I was able to work my way through them. Being able to do the design and machine work myself was huge. I wouldn't have been able to afford what it would have cost to pay someone else to do all that. There are a few things I would do different if I had to do it over again but I'm still happy with the way it turned out.

I did all of it except for the front bumper fab because I don't have a tube bender. . It was built mostly for offroading. The engine is stock. The pump was built by our fuel injection shop and has a 3200 RPM governer spring and a modified fuel pin. The fuel has been turned up and the injectors are 370HP marine injectors. The turbo has been modified with a 12cm turbine housing and a larger compressor wheel for more boost. The engine is a 1989 model and it came out of a Ford chassis bread truck. I have no idea how many miles were on it. The tranny is a 1998 Dodge NV4500. I did install the power lock in the rear. My background is some mechanicing and I have worked on cars and trucks since I was old enough to turn a wrench, but my main job is a machinist.

There were a lot of obstacles along the way but I was able to work my way through them. Being able to do the design and machine work myself was huge. I wouldn't have been able to afford what it would have cost to pay someone else to do all that. There are a few things I would do different if I had to do it over again but I'm still happy with the way it turned out.
This I so awesome. I can’t thank you enough. I’ve put dyna mat and closed cell foam literally everywhere except the headliner. It’s way quieter. I’ve done away with the old vacuum pump and added an electric one and re routed some wires and one of the batteries. New shocks and front sway bar to make it more stable. I do mostly on road driving. I might re gear the rear end just to have more mph on the highway. What do you think? Have you heard of gear vendors overdrives? I’d love to add one but idk if it’s possible with the fj transfer case.

If you plan to regear I’d recommend doing both diffs and not just the rear end. You may not plan on using 4wd much but if you ever do need it you’ll need both ends to match.

my bother @orion has an LS swapped FJ60 and it has a ranger overdrive. I think he still likes it. It came on the rig when he bought it, at that time it was behind a ragged out carbureted V8 before he put the LS in. The OD sits between the engine and Toyota tranny...so It pushes the trans/shifter backwards compared to stock.

If you plan to regear I’d recommend doing both diffs and not just the rear end. You may not plan on using 4wd much but if you ever do need it you’ll need both ends to match.

my bother @orion has an LS swapped FJ60 and it has a ranger overdrive. I think he still likes it. It came on the rig when he bought it, at that time it was behind a ragged out carbureted V8 before he put the LS in. The OD sits between the engine and Toyota tranny...so It pushes the trans/shifter backwards compared to stock.
That’s interesting. I’ll have to look it up. Again I can’t thank you enough for the replies.

That’s interesting. I’ll have to look it up. Again I can’t thank you enough for the replies
That’s interesting. I’ll have to look it up. Again I can’t thank you enough for the replies.
I looked up the ranger and it’s a cool unit. I don’t like having to move the trans back. The gear vendors just bolts up to the end so I’d just need a shorter drive shaft assuming the angle isn’t too extreme. Also idk if it’ll bolt to the Toyota transfer case. Also I hope I’m not bothering you but what would you have done differently with the build? I’m totally nerding out. And did you put the fsm badge on it? Lol

I looked up the ranger and it’s a cool unit. I don’t like having to move the trans back. The gear vendors just bolts up to the end so I’d just need a shorter drive shaft assuming the angle isn’t too extreme. Also idk if it’ll bolt to the Toyota transfer case. Also I hope I’m not bothering you but what would you have done differently with the build? I’m totally nerding out. And did you put the fsm badge on it? Lol
It wasn’t me that built it, just added my 2 cents on your comment.

There is some wiring and brackets I would do different. Mostly minor stuff, nothing major. I probably would use different motor mounts as well. I think the ones I used let the engine move around too much.
I am responsible for the FSM badge :)

Stumbled onto this thread... did you end up gearing it, @jbrou76 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom