Anyone intercool a turbo'd BJ60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
If you've intercooled your BJ60 please post up some photos of your install as well as specifications on the intercooler you have used (vehicle model and year etc. that you got it from or the aftermarket unit).

Did you notice an improvement between intercooled and non-intercooled but turbo'd performance?

Do you have A/C in your truck? If so how does it work with so much stuff in front of the radiator (A/C condensor and intercooler)? My BJ60 works fine and maintains temperature even with the A/C running in places like Arizona in the summer.

The AC ( very very important down here you know .. ).

Yep, I did not have A/C in my truck before we decided to come down to Central America. I retrofitted it before coming down and now it is hardly ever turned off!!

David, did you do a top mounted intercooler?

i have a top mounted intercooler, used a hood scoop from a subaru sti ,
got the intercooler off ebay, still have to do a little fabrication to get the bugs worked out. i have noticed a considerable decrease in engine temps at highway speeds, and maybe a little more power ( i swapped gears just after so its hard to tell). ill be using it more off road then on hopefully, so i am till considering an electric fan for it.

Ill try and get some pics tonight or this weekend if you want.

Ill try and get some pics tonight or this weekend if you want.

Pic's would be nice!

Did you do a top mounted intercooler because that's what came up or did you decide that a front mounted one wouldn't work? After reading more about intercoolers I think I'd prefer a front mounted one just to ensure it stays as cool as possible.

I assume that your wastegate controller is at the engine intake after the intercooler, is that correct?

David, did you do a top mounted intercooler?

Sure yes .. the main reason it's my AC .. in a really hot day barelly can keep the things cool inside ( with the soft top ) and I really have not much more space on front with the factory grill in place due to my flex a lite and my PS oil cooler ..

my solution ..

turbointercooler1.jpg

Use a ford mustan huge hood scoop and sure I like it ..

its good at highway speeds, i have the egt sensor mounted pre turbo and id say it knocks about 2-300 degrees off running temps. i still have to build a shroud to focus all the air coming in through the IC, and fix a few other things. I have a long "to do" list. i want to get the body work done and get it painted, i have a Master cylinder from an 80 series to swap in, ive got most of the aluminum to build a bigger roof rack and modify the front bumper, just got to get around to it. I also want to rebuild the rear bumper, and maybe get a rear mounted winch. plus i just built a frame for tailgate storage and have to find some wood and latches, plus id like to do the rear side panel storage. In a few weeks i should have some new tires showing up (39.5x13.5x16 Iroks on 16x10 DC-1's)

Im to busy with everything else lately to get things done. Maybe in a few months the list will be shorter, but id like to get the important stuff out of the way by may long weekend. I guess ill have the MTR's and maybe the old checker plate steel rear bumper for sale soon too if anyone wants.

I am not sure if you have seen my FMIC install on my HJ61 with the 12H-t? I have AC and had to trim the back of the grill and the bottom valance but I think the front mount is a better option on a 4x4. The install would be much easier on a round light truck and with the shorter 3B

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/209533-12h-t-intercooler-install.html

The heat soak and lost efficiency on the top mount at slow speeds turned me away.

I do have concerns about heat but my factory fan is pulling LOTS of air through everything. It will hold a piece of paper on the grill.

I have noticed a bit of turbo lag, but it is becoming less noticeable the more I drive. Power is up, as I can now hold 120km/h up my test hill, pre intercooler I was in third doing 90. And my EGTs are down. I haven't had to back off the throttle yet as a result of high EGTs, but it remains cool here with highs of 6*C.

We are making a trip Sunday where temps are forcasted to reach 20*C. I'll see if hat makes a difference.

dude, nice looking rig!

Tapage, i think i will put some aluminum plate around the top of the IC, and then find a suitable rubber or material to create a seal around the hood. i tore the hood liner off when i put the scoop on (which was probally a good thing as it looks like it was once a home to some mice) and would like to install dynamat or fatmat on the hood and firewall later.

I think if i have issues with heat soak ill look at installing an electric fan above later, i just wanted to keep it out of the mud, and keep it protected mostly.

Tapage, i think i will put some aluminum plate around the top of the IC, and then find a suitable rubber or material to create a seal around the hood.

You gonna weld the alum ( like a fence ) around the IC on it ..?

The heat it's a important issue here .. we are around of 32ºC prom temp throught the day .. and 10ºC less make the hole diference ..

I can't get a chance with my AC here ..

Tapage, i may attach the aluminum shroud using the two bolts at the front and back of the IC and just use some kind of gasket between, i probally could weld to it but dont want to chance burning through the IC.
Its a little cooler here, it got up to about 14 degrees or something here today, but yesterday was cooler and snowed about a foot in 5 hours. most of the time its pretty mild except right in the middle of the summer.

Thanks Cody ..

I need to think how to attach the IC shroud in my case .. coz I don't have any actual point to do that in my IC ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom