Anyone installed the Sony XAV-AX100 (CarPlay) into LC/LX 100-Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
ck5.com
I'm getting awfully tempted to buy one of these. The price point is pretty reasonable ($500) compared to most other CarPlay-enabled decks from Alpine / Kenwood.

upload_2017-1-6_11-26-20.png

I love the conventional volume knob idea... easy to reach and find with fine adjustment of sound even on a bumpy road. Pushbutton volume "knobs" drive me crazy with overshoot and lack of precision.

The screen is a resistive display which isn't quite as sexy as the glass-like capacitive ones, and the output voltage on the 3 sets of pre-amp outs is only 2V... I've heard the that the backup camera display is a bit clumsy looking as well. But other than that, there seems to be a LOT to like about this unit.

The intention is to remove the amp under the passenger seat and run new wires from the Sony to a more modern amp. I've already replaced the front door speakers (JL Audio) and have the rears sitting in a box waiting to go in also. Subwoofer is TBD... but some kind of thin-mount sub will probably get tucked away in the rear cargo area when take a closer look at available space.

-G

Greg,

Did you try this unit? I've got a 2000 LX470 and have upgraded the speakers but am considering the Sony along with an Alpine 5-channel amp. I wish that it had HD radio, supported two bluetooth phones, supported XM radio, and had a front view camera but its the only available unit with a volume knob which is important to me. Let me know what your experience with it has been. Thanks!

Cade

Check out the recent thread on android stereos here: Android Radio

I had my eyes on that Sony for a while as well but am leary of Android Auto, as it sounds like it is more limited for Play store apps, and I *think* locks you out of your phone if they pair (for your 'safety'...)

Would love some real world reports tho

Greg,

Did you try this unit? I've got a 2000 LX470 and have upgraded the speakers but am considering the Sony along with an Alpine 5-channel amp. I wish that it had HD radio, supported two bluetooth phones, supported XM radio, and had a front view camera but its the only available unit with a volume knob which is important to me. Let me know what your experience with it has been. Thanks!

Cade

Hi Cade.

Never bothered with this... work/life has been too crazy and my commute is too short for this to get much attention from me. Someday perhaps.... this truck just never breaks, so it's easy to just drive it and forget it. :)

-G

Hey Guys- I have had this unit installed since February and I like it alot. Backup camera functionality is great, sound quality improvement over stock and carplay and tuner work well. Volume knob is what swayed me and also I think it is a very clean looking unit. If you have any other specific questions I would be happy to answer them. Cheers! -Jon

Hey Guys- I have had this unit installed since February and I like it alot. Backup camera functionality is great, sound quality improvement over stock and carplay and tuner work well. Volume knob is what swayed me and also I think it is a very clean looking unit. If you have any other specific questions I would be happy to answer them. Cheers! -Jon

Post a pic of the unit in the dash. :)
I'd love to see how cleanly it fits in the doubleDIN and if it sits flush with the factory trim bezel...

-G

- Did you get a wiring harness from Crutchfield or similar, or if not how was it wiring up?
- Have you installed any map/nav programs on it (Backcountry Navigator, Avenza, Gaia, etc) and if so was it easy through the play store, a sideload, other?
- When you pair your phone, does the stereo become master and lock you out of using your phone to check email etc?
- Backup camera install/wiring - how much work, customization needed?

I will add that when i purchased a metra wirring harness, the system sounded horrible. In the end i purchased a 5 channel amp, used the rca connection from the HU to the amp. Then amp to speakers. Sounds fantastic.

Jyst fyi as YMMV with that harness.

Man I wish I had the time to get a new DD unit and run the RCAs to an aftermarket amp under the pass seat...

Once you have your seats out and carpet up it's actually not that bad looking of a job to re-route good quality wire into each door and even leave some extra coiled up near the sub for later use.

Bet a real amp and head unit sound amazing!

- Did you get a wiring harness from Crutchfield or similar, or if not how was it wiring up?
- Have you installed any map/nav programs on it (Backcountry Navigator, Avenza, Gaia, etc) and if so was it easy through the play store, a sideload, other?
- When you pair your phone, does the stereo become master and lock you out of using your phone to check email etc?

i went with a kenwood andriod auto unit.

i skipped the wiring harness and just soldered the wires together one by one...would have done this with a harness anyways, so really no big deal.

my unit is a garmin based GPS, it's been fantastic and has all of the forrest service roads and dirt trails i could ever want, haven't had the need for other nav type programs... that said, the HU has options for remote screen display, so your phone display is projected on the screen, any nav app should work.

andiord auto on my h/u is initiated by a wired connection, as far as i know you cannot use AA without having it wired in, you can be paired via bluetooth and have functionality that way, but to actually use the AA program and all of it's features you have to be wired in via usb.
when using AA you are more or less locked out of the phone, that said there are work around, i use the torque pro app as a HUD while i'm driving to monitor all of my engine and other data. the work around is quite simple, you cannot use the phone, per se but the notifcation bat still works and if you can access a program via the notification drop down you can stuff AA in the background and use your phone per normal.

one annoying thing about AA is they have a rule where any program you use must be limited to a certain number of button presses.... so if i'm trying to cruise my spotifiy stations i can only go 3-4 pages down before i get locked out and a message telling me to keep my eyes on they road....this can be sorted out by spending the time orginizing your apps, putting most listened to stuff within reach and less listened to stuff towards to bottom....really not a prefect solution but it works for the most part.... i really expect this to get better over time as AA is still relativity new in most aspects.

backup camera is super easy, just plug it in....hard part is running the cord from the front to the back...

as for the back

Post a pic of the unit in the dash. :)
I'd love to see how cleanly it fits in the doubleDIN and if it sits flush with the factory trim bezel...

-G
Here you go- the fit is great.

IMG_6869.jpg

IMG_6871.jpg

IMG_6874.jpg

IMG_6870.jpg

IMG_6872.jpg

Realize now that I may have given the false impression that I did the work myself:(
Reality is I had this installed along with a remote start system so I can't answer any specifics about the install, although I do know a specialized wiring harness needed to be ordered.
I use google maps more than the apple maps so i actually dont make amazing use of the screen itself but it works the way that it should.
It wants you not to use your phone when connected but if you click the home button you can get right in.
Only thing that doesnt work as expected is the auto dimming feature- really does not work at all, so I usually just keep the screen dimmed as it is only a annoying when you are driving at night and it is too bright.
All in all I love the upgrade.

That is a great looking set up. Wish it was not a resistive display.
yeah I get that although once you get used to it it works well for the $

@JonD, now that you've been using it for a couple months what are your thoughts on the unit? Would you still recommend it? Has Android Auto proven useful or annoying or not used it much? (I am buying something in the next few weeks and this is one of my top considerations so appreciate your input!)

I've had one installed in my 2001 for about a month now..... really like it.

Was planning on doing a full-writeup on it at some point if people are interested. I'm using it for the Apple (CarPlay) functionality and it seems to be pretty slick so far.

-G

CruzerDave,
I like the unit. Android Auto is helpful but has some annoying "features". The phone's screen is locked out and you are therefore limited to the functions in Android Auto. Keep in mind not looking at your phone or distractions is part of the purpose of Android Auto.

music - works well, supports all of the common streaming services
phone - works well with good Mic placement
maps - best feature The sound output is very good and the customization is acceptable.

The screen can be obscured by sun but I don't find that it is a big issue. Wiring can be a BIG pain especially if you are adding a rear-view camera. I've got it installed in a 2000 LX470 and spend 25-30 hours installing the head unit, amp, all speakers, sound deadening, sub-woofer box, etc. Would I do it again? Yes. Sounds awesome now and I have modern functionality. If I didn't plan on keeping it for a long time I would have taken a half step with the head unit and speakers.

Cade

@GregLCA or @Dylan312

How is the UI if you are NOT using CarPlay? The stock Sony one?

And do you have the same non-dimming issue? (which would be annoying long term)

Last edited:
@GregLCA or @Dylan312

How is the UI is you are NOT using CarPlay? The stock Sony one?

And do you have the same non-dimming issue? (which would be annoying long term)

The non-CarPlay menu is pretty basic. I just hit a button to reconnect to the phone (in my pocket) via Bluetooth and the music picks up where it left off....even if I had previously been using the CarPlay interface.

The volume level between the BlueTooth and CarPlay inputs is slightly off. I have the volume correction cranked (+18) to compensate but the Bluetooth is still slightly quieter when it takes over from CarPlay.

I've never noticed a dimming issue. I bought a wiring kit that allows me to direct-plug into the Toyota harness with NO cutting. All you do is connect the Sony wires (including dimmer control) to the intermediate adapter cable which is also setup for dimming. Obviously it must be working because at night, my map views are rendered in a "twilight mode" instead of bright green. :)

Overall the Sony adds a lot of sound quality, even though I didn't bypass the factory JBL amp under the seat. In my configuration, the subwoofer pre-amp out is NOT used... so the factory subs are pulling a full-range signal from some other channel to create "bass". Honestly, I think the sound would improve if I just disconnected the speakers in the subwoofer area and let me door-mounted JL Audios run the show by themselves.

-G

I do have the dimming issue with the 00 LX470 that had Nakamichi. I've got the orange cable connected to what I think is the right wire in the harness but haven't dug into fixing it. (there is no plug and play harness available) You can manually dim to night mode if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom