Anyone install the DBA 4000 Front disc kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a warped rotor and the pads are nearing the end of their life and was considering upgrading the entire front brakes using the DBA 4000 series kit that MAF offers (the $349 kit)...Anyone do this? or just the DBA rotors? is it really an upgrade or should I just stick with OEM?

Link to the DBA stuff: MAF DBA 4000 SERIES BRAKE KIT FZJ80

thanks!

IMHO, go wad up a $100 bill and throw it away..

The difference between those rotors and a set of good quality rotors and pads is basicaly nill on a 60..

Thanks!

That's exactly the feedback I'm lookin' for. I think I'll go another route unless someone chimes in with glowing reports.

I did the rotors and the pads when they were on sale. I only owned the truck for about 2 months prior to doing the brakes so I can really say that they are any better. What I can say was that it was cheaper than the "best quality" after market I could get from Napa and definately cheaper than the dealer.

I am very ahppy with the quality and the wear on the brakes and rotors as I have had them for about 3 yrs now and they still feel very solid. So far the rotors have worn evenly and flat.

Clint

on my other vehicles ive noticed quite a bit improvement in feel with slotted or drilled rotors over regular, stainless stell lines have always imprerssed me also

I hate to think what condition your braking system was in if switching to Stainless lines made any difference.

Mace, wrap yer hand tightly around an OE rubber brake hose and have someone simulate a panic stop particularly an old one that still looks good and serviceable. It's pretty impressive how much they grow. Even a new one will grow a little. Braided SS hoses get 'tight' but they don't grow anything close to what a good, new rubber hose will grow. Makes a difference in pedal feel.

Mace, wrap yer hand tightly around an OE rubber brake hose and have someone simulate a panic stop particularly an old one that still looks good and serviceable. It's pretty impressive how much they grow. Even a new one will grow a little. Braided SS hoses get 'tight' but they don't grow anything close to what a good, new rubber hose will grow. Makes a difference in pedal feel.

lol

Stainless braided... That makes a bit of sense,

I thought he was talking about the hard lines....

I have the braided lines and the upgrade rotors from MAF. the rotors are OK. But the the braided lines are well worth it

I've used those DBA rotors with Bendix MetalKing pads for the last 80'000klms. Before that I would have problems when towing my car trailer with brake fade and pulsing of the front brakes. After machining the rotors a couple of times I swapped out and went to the DBA's.

Best thing I ever did, even now I have no warping and no fading issues. Well worth the money for the Slotted rotors. Not sure about the stainless lines on a cruiser, maybe a bit too much bling????

I have used DBA's on everything from a BJ42, BJ70, HZJ75 Troopy and P/U, UZJ100, FZJ80 and HDJ80 probably a few more I left out. I can say they are excellent quality and compared to the price of new Toyota ones (only ones you can rely to have consistant quality) they are cheaper and probably a little better.

The problem with Napa and some of the others is sometimes they are good rotors other times they are junk, so stick with something with consistant quality -- DBA's

I typically run Carbon Fiber Metalics or TRD's they work great.

One warning they tell you and I believe is try they rotors are not ment to be run with ceramic pads.

Cheers,

Michael

lol

Stainless braided... That makes a bit of sense,

I thought he was talking about the hard lines....
Aha! Now I understand your statement. I thought that you knew better and was lost by it.

I'm not convinced that the funky cooling vane design in some (all?) of the DBA rotors is worth what they claim. I know that over the many years of discs being available that many companies have put a lot of time into the thermodynamics of rotors and I'd have thought that if such a design was a real advantage (for racing or otherwise) that it would have been tried by now.

If their QC results in a consistent quality rotor that doesn't fade any worse than the stock design then they look like a viable option.

Some reading on the "warped rotor" phenomenon:
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom