Anyone in the South Austin area able to Check out a truck for me? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I commute to Austin every weekday from the south. I could swing by on my way home from work. I have no idea what to look for in a 100 so I would need some guidance.

I commute to Austin every weekday from the south. I could swing by on my way home from work. I have no idea what to look for in a 100 so I would need some guidance.

Thanks for the offer! The dealer sent a bunch of photos to me, but the thing was FILTHY. It was hard to judge condition. For a 2007 with only 120k miles, I'd expect it to be pretty damn clean.

Using Slee's 100 FAQ's, I've been looking these things when I've been looking at others, but more than anything am just hoping for someone to look at it and say "I'd buy that" or "that looks problematic...". Here's some of Slee's thoughts on looking at a used 100:

1. Signs of overspray on trim pieces, lights and inner fenders
  2. Signs of body work (like missing VIN stickers on panels or different paint colors seen when paint blending is usually done)
  3. Check body lines and panel gaps for alignment
  4. Check for marks on frame where it might have been pulled on a frame straightening machine
  5. Underbody for signs of rust/rot
  6. Leaks/fluids/overflow that looks out of place/problematic
  7. Seapage around the engine block or other areas, caked on grease/oil
  8. Tires that are worn unevenly or are different types/brands
  9. Any wires that are hanging and/or frayed/out of place
  10. Scratches on plastic trim pieces.
  11. Condition of upholstery, headliners, door panels and trim pieces.
  12. Operation of the electric seat and all the heater controls, radio and other accessories
  13. Check for vibrations during drive.
  14. Listen for any unusual sounds
  15. Check exhaust system for rust, holes and repairs
  16. Check for blue or white smoke when car accelerates.
  17. Check the automatic transmission shifts smoothly/transfer case shifts cleanly
  18. Apply the brakes at different speeds and see if there is any fade, or if the vehicle pulls sideways.
  19. Apply brakes lightly and check for any vibrations through the pedal
  20. Turn the steering from lock to lock and listed for any noises and/or roughness
  21. Test drive the vehicle at highway speed and see if there are any vibrations
I know that's a ton - and not even half of what Slee puts out. That said, I'd really like to hope that someone's eye gives it a look and says "something's not right." Given that this is a Toyota dealership and not a 3rd party dealer, I'm a LITTLE more comfortable. But, you never know!

I could swing by and take some pics of what you would like to see. After reading that checklist, I am thankful to have a simpler 60. But who knows, I have never looked at a 100 lol.

I could swing by and take some pics of what you would like to see. After reading that checklist, I am thankful to have a simpler 60. But who knows, I have never looked at a 100 lol.

I'd appreciate it, Doc.

Maybe this will get you into the market for a 100! You never know. Dealership says they're already having a lot of folks check it out. Not surprised. These things are popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom