Anyone in the bay area cali do a vortec v8 conversion that want to help me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If you want to help me with a vortec Lm7 swap in to my FZJ80 please let me know. Seems like there aren't many shops that can do this except a couple of cruiser shops that are pricey and far away. I have the donor yukon and the stock 94 FZJ80 at home ready and waiting for the project.

I know it won't pass the state of California requirements but im gonna move out of state in about 2 years.

Speaking of that. Is Tilden Motorsports still selling engines?

Why won’t this pass CA smog? I’m considering the same swap in a 60 series

I can't honestly find a reason

It's newer - check
It's from a vehicle of the same gvwr class under carb rules - check

So unless the plan is to modify it or to not have it completely obd2 compliant I can't see a reason

I can't honestly find a reason

It's newer - check
It's from a vehicle of the same gvwr class under carb rules - check

So unless the plan is to modify it or to not have it completely obd2 compliant I can't see a reason
I ended up looking a little further into it. The way I understand it a control module for the evap system is tuned specifically for the vehicle that had the vortec originally. GM sees that computer as part of the chassis and not part of the engine which means it isn’t included in engine swaps but it’s needed to pass smog.

I was going to buy a motor from BD Turnkey Engines out of Reno and I found all the info on his website. (-SMOG Info — BD Turnkey Engines LLC - http://bdturnkeyengines.com/smog-info) I emailed with him briefly and he basically recommended not using his products unless you’re swapping a pre 76 vehicle, smog exempt vehicle. I was super bummed out by it because that seemed to be the less expensive option for a V8 swap. Like most people out there, an LS3 is not in the budget anytime soon for me.

I ended up looking a little further into it. The way I understand it a control module for the evap system is tuned specifically for the vehicle that had the vortec originally. GM sees that computer as part of the chassis and not part of the engine which means it isn’t included in engine swaps but it’s needed to pass smog.

I was going to buy a motor from BD Turnkey Engines out of Reno and I found all the info on his website. (-SMOG Info — BD Turnkey Engines LLC - http://bdturnkeyengines.com/smog-info) I emailed with him briefly and he basically recommended not using his products unless you’re swapping a pre 76 vehicle, smog exempt vehicle. I was super bummed out by it because that seemed to be the less expensive option for a V8 swap. Like most people out there, an LS3 is not in the budget anytime soon for me.
Doesn't the donor Yukon have that control module?

Why won’t this pass CA smog? I’m considering the same swap in a 60 series

Because it's California...... it might actually pass smog if done right but the biggest hurdle would be getting it to the point where the smog test needs doing.

California has all kinds of crazy restrictions on engine swaps.

It can be done and be CA compliant. The main issues mentioned on Mud are the cat placement and all evap controls have to be functional (or VERY neatly bypassed). The cats being in the perfect spot and fuel tank mods and fuel line mods mess some swaps up.

Plenty to search for and investigate.

Lots of (most) searches bring up threads like this one...questions, ideas, opinions and conjecture.l with inconclusive closure.

I'd love to find the thread that says "this is what I did, step by step, in detail and here are the parts, and you can pass a Cali swap like I did"

:)

Lots of (most) searches bring up threads like this one...questions, ideas, opinions and conjecture.l with inconclusive closure.

I'd love to find the thread that says "this is what I did, step by step, in detail and here are the parts, and you can pass a Cali swap like I did"

I completely agree! On here or you tube

There isn't a thread like that because of different interpretations of the law as well as intangibles like "I got a guy..." etc.

Why don't you do it and create the thread that answers those questions for others? :idea: That would be a great way to contribute to the community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom