Anyone in Little Rock Have a 22mm Wrench for a Stuck Amateur? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Planning on leaving town tomorrow (that's not happening) and trying to change all 4 shocks on the AHC before the trip. It's turned into quite a fiasco, but we are through the worst of it.
I'm currently stuck though trying to get the 22mm nut off the front shocks. If anyone has a tool that would work or a suggestion I would be very appreciative. Here are all of my ideas that have failed so far:
1. breaker bar with normal depth 22mm socket (too tall)
2. 12" 1/2" drive ratchet with a cheater bar (too wide)
3. Crowfoot wrenches (only go to 19 in stores, shipping will be days).
4. Standard 22mm open end wrench (can't get onto nut, an offset box end might though, currently shopping for that)
5. 22mm flex head ratcheting wrench (don't have one, soonest I could get it is tomorrow and the wife wants to leave yesterday).

Thanks all!

I found a 7/8" ratcheting one at local Menards that solved this issue. It is the same size as 22mm

I have a flexhead 22mm. Just pm'd you back

If you are replacing why not just cut the shock top off with a reciprocating saw and remove? Thats how I removed my AHC shocks all the way around.

I prefer not to damage irreversibly the part I remove, never know if it'll come in handy later, but if the interference with the normal length socket that you mentioned refers to a threaded rod protruding too much, I would gladly cut that off so that the socket fits. Or if the rod is too big for the hole in the socket, I'd try to drill that hole bigger. All that in a pinch.
I bought a set of deep impact sockets in both metric and SAE from HF to prevent this type of issues, they go pretty big.
The Knipex Pliers Wrench makes for a fantastic christmas present, btw, best tool in my shop.

Napa & Autozone both have good tool wide ranging selections.

Just in case there's another way to alleviate your problem here.... why are you removing all 4 shocks? Are you doing an AHC delete the day before a trip? Or are you replacing 4 bad AHC shocks with 4 new AHC shocks?

Both situations sound unlikely, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Also note that most those auto parts stores have amazingly efficient parts delivery systems. Most items not carried in store can be delivered to the local store same day - sometimes within hours.

At the very top of the Front shocks can use a long stout 8mm open end wrench to hold the shock while loosening up the 22 mm just below it

Shouldn't be too difficult. Lots of good insight already provided. Have you soaked the fasteners in Kroil or PB Blaster to help things along?

As mentioned 7/8" is a great substitute for 22mm and easier to find. It's 22.22mm.

And as mentioned counter hold the shock.

If you don’t get forger’s holler. I bot one a couple years back and it is currently at kirks automotive in nlr. - he is good with 100’s but he can fix any car. My dad hangs out in his shop and drinks coffee so chat em up.

Just to update: we got it all squared away. Apparently the 22mm flex head wrench won't work on an AHC shock due to the top bolt being recessed inside of some bushing or retainer. I've never worked on an AHC-equipped truck so I didn't know this. He eventually got all 4 shocks removed and replaced!

Nice of you to offer help. Good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom