Anyone here with a 1HD-T TD2 12 Valve on a hdj100 vx? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering if there is anyone with this engine on a 100 series. I have one. a 1998.
Would like to jnow more about ir.

thanks

Angola , Mozambique , ZA , Namibia , Botswana , Zambia , Zimbabwe , Tanzania , Lesotho , Swaziland , at least , got the HDJ100 , with a modernized version of the 1HD-T , not the the 1HD-FTE . A lot of these HDJ100 , had factory fridge , dual fuel tanks , dual spare wheels and dual AC to the third row seats . Great car .

My question is because i see some like mine but all with 24v and not 12v. and i would like to know if my engine has a good reputation
iit has 298 000 kms and had a problem on the 3rd cilinder. Just had all cilinders redone and overalled some parts also.

GRADE: VX: VX TYPE DESTINATION:
GEN: GENERAL COUNTRIES DRIVER'S POSITION:
RHD: RIGHT-HAND DRIVE
ENGINE: 1HDT: 4200CC DIESEL TURBO
FUEL SYSTEM: TD2:
TURBO DIESEL 2 VALVE
TRANSMISSION: MTM: MANUAL TRANSMISSION
GEAR SHIFT TYPE: 5F: MTM, 5-SPEED FLOOR SHIFT
BACK DOOR: LUB: LIFT UP BACK DOOR
COLOR CODE: 6Q7
TRIM CODE: LE40

WhatsApp Image 2020-01-15 at 10.37.53.jpeg

75594461_10218414435144361_9212123156729298944_o.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 9.47.06 PM.png

Angola , Mozambique , ZA , Namibia , Botswana , Zambia , Zimbabwe , Tanzania , Lesotho , Swaziland , at least , got the HDJ100 , with a modernized version of the 1HD-T , not the the 1HD-FTE . A lot of these HDJ100 , had factory fridge , dual fuel tanks , dual spare wheels and dual AC to the third row seats . Great car .
yap. that is mine. with all that minus the dual spare wheel. it was bought at Toyota Mozambique in 1998. I am the second owner.

That's very interesting. The things Toyota has done in the various models never ceases to amaze me.

and i would like to know if my engine has a good reputation

The older ones were ok if you kept up the maintenance. It would be interesting to know if, or how they fixed the BEB issue.

It looks exactly like the 1hd-t I have in my HDJ81, your timing belt light is about to pop on in 2000k’s, bottom end bearings can be checked with an oil sample, but with some pretty minimal maintenance it will damn near run forever, and if it’s like my 81, it’s a 24v starter(both batteries) and 12v everything else

@ZCissner

"My question is because i see some like mine but all with 24v and not 12v. and i would like to know if my engine has a good reputation
iit has 298 000 kms and had a problem on the 3rd cilinder. Just had all cilinders redone and overalled some parts also."

I believe he might be speaking about 24 valve head (FTE) and 12 valve (HDT) versus electrical systems.

@ZCissner

"My question is because i see some like mine but all with 24v and not 12v. and i would like to know if my engine has a good reputation
iit has 298 000 kms and had a problem on the 3rd cilinder. Just had all cilinders redone and overalled some parts also."

I believe he might be speaking about 24 valve head (FTE) and 12 valve (HDT) versus electrical systems.

Oh good point, I thought the 100/105s were hz’s Or 24 valve

They sold the HDJ105 in Panama, that is a 1HD T in a 105 series. Probably the same engine as the one Campoa has in his 100 series.

@Tapage
David, happy New Year my friend!
Did Ricardo Perez ever sell such a thing as an HDJ105 in your neck of the woods? It’d be pretty cool if he did ;)

@ZCissner

Yap, Mine is a 12 valve (HDT)
What is a BEB and what are the BEB Problems?

Just had a problem on the IMO, sometimes it did not open the fuel valve and i got stranded. nothing did start the car.
Just got it overiden right now with direct power with ignition. I hope it is solved.

One other question. Its a slow engine, i know, its to cruise not to raace, i know, but still, is it normal that i can´t put it over 140km/h? Ant it smokes a bit. Black smoke. Is it normal?

Thanks
WhatsApp Image 2020-01-17 at 17.24.13.jpeg

Big end bearings. The 1HD T were infamous for bearing delamination. The recommndation is that they be replaced every 100000klms. A regular tick was often the first symptom the owner would hear. If left too long it could cost you a crankshaft as well.

Big end bearings. The 1HD T were infamous for bearing delamination. The recommndation is that they be replaced every 100000klms. A regular tick was often the first symptom the owner would hear. If left too long it could cost you a crankshaft as well.
Toyota changed the BEB on the post 93 1hd-t. Still, I would be replacing them at the recommended interval but they should not be a problem on your motor unless they have done excessive kms.

Yap, Mine is a 12 valve (HDT)

Just had a problem on the IMO, sometimes it did not open the fuel valve and i got stranded. nothing did start the car.
Just got it overiden right now with direct power with ignition. I hope it is solved.

One other question. Its a slow engine, i know, its to cruise not to raace, i know, but still, is it normal that i can´t put it over 140km/h? Ant it smokes a bit. Black smoke. Is it normal?

Thanks
View attachment 2185438
I think you may need to rebuild the injectors and the fuel pump . Black smoke is ovefuelling/clogged air filter or both . Look also inside the fuel tank or tanks . There is a small mesh filter that sometimes gets clogged by dirt in fuel , not allowing a proper fuel flow . Cleaning those filter/s may help . Valve clearance adjustment is also very important , I can assure ! I don't know if in Mozambique there is someone to properly rebuild injectors or injection pump , but in ZA , there is plenty of reputable shops .
Good Luck ! Boa Sorte !

Last edited:
Here in Costa Rica, there are lots of 100s with the HTD-1 12 valve engines I have seen them up to 2003 model years. The BEB issue ended in 93. I have one in my 93 80 series. a great strong engine that will cruise all day at 75 miles an hour. My 2006 100 has the HTD-FTe 24 valve power house and it is simply phenomenal.

I think you may need to rebuild the injectors and the fuel pump . Black smoke is ovefuelling/clogged air filter or both . Look also inside the fuel tank or tanks . There is a small mesh filter that sometimes gets clogged by dirt in fuel , not allowing a proper fuel flow . Cleaning those filter/s may help . Valve clearance adjustment is also very important , I can assure ! I don't know if in Mozambique there is someone to properly rebuild injectors or injection pump , but in ZA , there is plenty of reputable shops .
Good Luck ! Boa Sorte !
Nice tips... Obrigado. Injectors were rebuilt. And it has new cylinders. The smoke situation seems to be getting better. This weekend another trip whit a lot of sand driving and almost no smoke. The tip for the fuel thanks is a nice one as for example, when i change for SUB tank sometines the car just shuts down but not always. Still going after this issue.

84504485_10218999163402202_2329516473812254720_n.jpg

My question is because i see some like mine but all with 24v and not 12v. and i would like to know if my engine has a good reputation
iit has 298 000 kms and had a problem on the 3rd cilinder. Just had all cilinders redone and overalled some parts also.

GRADE: VX: VX TYPE DESTINATION:
GEN: GENERAL COUNTRIES DRIVER'S POSITION:
RHD: RIGHT-HAND DRIVE
ENGINE: 1HDT: 4200CC DIESEL TURBO
FUEL SYSTEM: TD2:
TURBO DIESEL 2 VALVE
TRANSMISSION: MTM: MANUAL TRANSMISSION
GEAR SHIFT TYPE: 5F: MTM, 5-SPEED FLOOR SHIFT
BACK DOOR: LUB: LIFT UP BACK DOOR
COLOR CODE: 6Q7
TRIM CODE: LE40

View attachment 2183528

View attachment 2183529

View attachment 2183530

Can you post another pic of the engine looking down on it from the front of the car?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom