Anyone here have the hook-up for sheet aluminum?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by wngrog, Aug 5, 2005.

1. wngrog

wngrog SILVER Star

I need a 4x8 sheet of 5052 T6 aluminum

.060 to .090 thickness. Would rather have the .060

Any leads?

2. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

Why? Need something to connect those two singlewides together in the new small town? Can't believe the Kate build has forced you to downsize and go live in the country :flipoff2:

3. wngrog

wngrog SILVER Star

You are useless to me Slee....

;)

4. DSRTRDR

DSRTRDR I can mangle anything ... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    would it be too serious to suggest you search the yellow pages for a sheet metal place in your town?

5. wngrog

wngrog SILVER Star

Good question.

Not many places deal in T6 hardness sheet aluminum and those that I usually deal with have earmarked all of their aluminum for the airline builders right now.

No little guys....................

6. Desertdave

Desertdave

Have they started using road signs in Texas? I hear those make good parts, as long as you don't get caught!

Ahh, I doubt they are T6, though. Probably not worth the risk ;)

7. PUPTLAM

PUPTLAM

Media:
    Albums:
    what are you building out of t-6? thats some stout stuff and very brittle if you have to bend it.

8. wob

wob

I think you should contact one of the (many) aluminium boat builders in LA. Gator Trax, Gator Tail, and ProDrive. They could put you on the right track, and the fact that they are all Cajuns, usually willing to help you out. Gator Trax is in Springfield, the other two are in Loureville (sp?).

9. wngrog

wngrog SILVER Star

I have been running a bent 1/2" T6 skidplate for 2 years and it has held up fantastic.

The T6 is what Sunray builds all of their buggy floors out of. I am just trying to get what they usually use. I know crap about it all. Just doing what I am told :D

10. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    Where are you? I can look around in the morning, but it wouldn't be worth looking if you're not around here. My shop uses a lot of 6061 T6 bar stock and extrusion, tool-and-jig (cast) plate, and soft-tempered sheet aluminum. I haven't seen hardened sheet aluminum, not real practical for our machine building. We shear and bend a lot of sheet, up to 1/4. I've tried bending the hardened bar stock with little success, it usually cracks. Maybe radiusing it would work? Are you making a whole belly pan from this? We usually get 4'x12' sheets.

11. wngrog

wngrog SILVER Star

I am in Dallas. I need a full sheet.

Making floor panels for my rig.

12. PUPTLAM

PUPTLAM

Media:
    Albums:
    just wondering? How will you attach it to the truck? You cant weld aluminum to steel. If you rivet it in I would put rubber between the aluminum and steel to prevent dis-similar or galvanic corrosion.
    Please post up some pictures of the finished project. My floor boards kinda suck. The P.O. fiberglassed them but its a band aid at best.

13. RavenTai

RavenTai

You may have better luck finding 2024 T3 or 7075 T6, they are more commonly used in aircraft structure. They may be a more expensive though I don’t know how much. 7075 T6 would be the strongest common aluminum alloy. .063 will not take much weight on wide spans without support, I would not go past 20" in any direction, .071" or .080" might make a better choice for floor boards, with aluminum it is best to have many small fasteners, 3/16 or 5/32 fasteners on 1’ spacing should be good, in general 4 to 6 diameter center to center between fasteners, Maintain 2 faster diameters minimum from the center of the fastener to the edge of the sheet. To prevent corrosion Prime with a very thin layer of zinc chromate primer and paint before assembly, aluminum alloy is much more susceptible to corrosion that pure aluminum, especially at joints and any where moisture can sit. Usually better alloy sheet is clad with thin layer of pure aluminum to reduce corrosion. Assemble wet with a good strong sealant at all joints. 2 part Polysulfide would be best, Also install the fasters wet. Will help with corrosion and strengthen the joint.

I don’t think I have ever worked with 5052 cant tell you much about it, the 5000 series is generally only used where welding of the part is required IIRC they are generally weak alloys, it may be used in automotive because of this and lower cost.

14. wngrog

wngrog SILVER Star

I have used steel mounting tabs in the past with no problems. .060 steel tabs with 1/4" holes. We use stainless bolts with no barriers such as rubber.

Raven, thanks for the tips. If I cannot get the 5052, I will grab some of the other you mentioned.

Spans are not long, 10" max. We bead it and roll it to stiffen the aluminum without having to go to a larger thickness. .060 will be fine in my application. Trying to keep it as light as possible.

15. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    We normally get our aluminum from Schupan, now bought by German owned http://www.copperandbrass.com. I don't see 5052-T6 in my catalog or handbook, but the -H tempered versions look good. -H34 is available, only a little weaker than the more brittle 6061-T6 we use a lot of. I did use some 3/16" 6061-T6 recently for a bent bracket. It bent well on the hydraulic bender, that doesn't bend as sharp a bend as the brake bender. Most of our thin aluminum is soft 3000-series, very workable but not as strong. You can get 7075-T6 in Alclad, it's quite hard and strong, but looks like it endures bending well. 2024-T3 is also strong and comes in Alclad, looks to be a little less bendable but still good. Dallas has to have aluminum suppliers, otherwise Schupan/Copper and Brass is in Houston and Austin, maybe they have trucks coming your way.

16. wngrog

wngrog SILVER Star

Cool, I am not set on 5052 - T6 in the least, so if this looks like a good aluminum for what I am doing, I will pick some up.

Thanks for your expertise!

17. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    A distributor can give you much better advice on which aluminum than I can, good luck!

18. wngrog

wngrog SILVER Star

You would be very surprised. When I tell them what I am doing with it, I get the dead silent pause........

YOu have great knowledge, I appreciate it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.