Anyone here have any experience with Sequoias? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We are looking at a couple '03, '04 vintage- anyone have any experience with them? Are they reliable as a Landcruiser?

There used to be a section that had Sequoias covered in it...not sure where it went.

The 03-04 sequoias are solid rigs, not quite as solid as a land cruiser build wise, but no real issues to speak of. The 05 got the VVT-I upgrade and a 5 speed auto, so that might be something to look at as well. 03 and 04 are functionally the same as 01-02, so I'd look for an 01-04 limited with the lowest miles.

The drive train is similar to the 100 series but has a part time 4wd transfer case. The stability control on those works very well and they get down the road better than expected with the little V8.

I'd go with a limited model as they have some nice bells and whistles that you can't get on the SR5.

To add, I have replaced one O2 sensor, one door handle, the rear hatch handle, and the CV shafts in 9 years of ownership.

Timing belt, brakes, etc are scheduled maintenance and don't really count.

Stick with the 03 and 04 years. Earlier models were prone to transmission failures.

Well it is a Toyota......they are not quit as good off-road but just fine on the road.

My brother has pulled a 20' camper all over the Colorado mountains with his for 5-6 years with no complains or problems.

My wife drives our Sequioa. Had to replace something in the power steering system, cant recall what it was exactly since I was out of the country when it happened, but it was over $1k. Replaced the rear latch handle twice, the plastic its made out of is garbage. Rear window stopped working but there is a service bulletin on it, so I fixed it when I had the hatch apart to replace the handle, took two minutes.

No other issues in 200k miles.

We have an 01 limited and we've put around 50k on it since we bought it 2010. it's our dd and now has 187k. replaced all brakes and hatch latch a few times. finally found an all metal one on fleabay. it's been a very impressive all around vehicle and my wife loves it so much she said she would pay to have a new motor put in it if it ever dies. I'd definitely buy another one. limited for sure. oh, and even been off pavement a few times.

20150215_104314_HDR.jpg

20150215_154607[0].jpg

Last edited:
Great vehicle! I had an '02 Limited that is now in my Dad's possession. I loved it, and he loves it more.

Have an 01 and an 02, both have been solid vehicles with very few problems. Traction control on the early models is terrible in the snow, but heard it was fixed on the 03 and up models. Big rig, very comfortable, drives well, seats eight, holds up well in accident, decent power, reasonable mileage.

I'd buy another one if these ever wear out.

Stick with the 03 and 04 years. Earlier models were prone to transmission failures.

DITTO - Go for '03+ if you plan on towing. The tranny issues was resolved by then. I had an '02 LX470 that blew up on me.

We've had various 4Runners, FZJ80's, LX450, and an LX470 as our family grew, then I bought my wife an '03 with 200k on it two years ago and other than rear hatch drama (not that big of a deal, the handle just breaks on them at some point) it been a FANTASTIC rig. Does amazing in our northwest winters with no studs. We have taken it to SLC, as well as through Glacier, smooth, quiet, and comfortable. Its not Cruiser quality, but it has tons of space and amenities that makes it perfect for families with lots of little kids. (I have five kids 10 and under.) I also have two '03 Tundras with over 200k on them for my boat rental biz so you could say I'm a firm believer in that toughness of that power train. I guarantee we'll have a Sequoia in the driveway for at least ten more years. :cheers:

So, moving the thread to the 05+ Toyota truck forum is more applicable than anywhere else?

It seems we have left a gap with all of the forum reorganizing. Anything that isn't a Taco and was made from 1996-2004 doesn't have a home. T-100, Tundra, sequoia, 4runner.

Wife drives a bought new 2003 SR5 with essentially all Limited options except leather. 113k miles. Liftgate handle, O2 sensor, traction control module. Uses no oil. Installed 265-70-17 BFG ATs. Towed a travel trailer many miles, no troubles.
Get one with the t-case shifter in the console

We have owned our 03 SR5 for several years. Recall on lower front ball joints, some have blown out and happened to see another one at the local dealership a few weeks back. The rear latch can fail. I had to address a loose heat shield on an exhaust manifold. Ours is part of the recall for the passenger front air bag of which there is no fix as of yet. Another recall to spray a coating on the frame similar to earlier tacoma's rusting. Plastic headlight lenses weather which seems to be a plastic issue. I'm thinking its a bit hard on gas just slowing down helps a bunch. All that said we have used ours for everything. I tow trailers, moved beds in it and fridges, just took 3 kids and 3 adults on holidays this past summer with luggage. For the price they are a pretty good used vehicle. They do have a timing belt to replace and are an interference engine but lots in the wrecking yards if one ever needs one. Tranny still has a dipstick too unlike my 05 Tundra which didn't I think. Oh one other comment, I never did think the brakes were as good as i'd like unless ours had some different pads installed from new. I have the trac control lights come on sometimes when cold in mornings. Turn it off and back on seems to reset it ??

We have an 01 limited and we've put around 50k on it since we bought it 2010. it's our dd and now has 187k. replaced all brakes and hatch latch a few times. finally found an all metal one on fleabay. it's been a very impressive all around vehicle and my wife loves it so much she said she would pay to have a new motor put in it if it ever dies. I'd definitely buy another one. limited for sure. oh, and even been off pavement a few times.

What size tires and wheels do you have on your rig? Did you have to make any adjustments as I just bought a 03 ltd.

Wife had an '03. Reliable, comfy to drive.
Rear hatch handle is a POS. Keep the latch mechanism clean and lubed or it will break, again, and again.
Had a glitchy oil pressure gauge, too. Indication only.

Go for it. You won't regret it. I've got an '07, so there are some differences, and wouldn't trade it for anything (except an '07 LC :)

The real differences are in the fit and finish of components. For example - my father in law's '99 cruiser has better fit and finish than my '07 Sequoia.

For the same years the Land Cruiser and Sequoia should have the same motor and trans, maybe t-case and axles/gearing. Not sure.

We've had ours since new, it's an '05 Limited 4x4. My wife drove it for 9 years.....then I took it over. It's been alllllllllllllllllllll over the SoCal desert, mountains, etc. Sand, mud, snow, the beaches of Baja .....the thing does great and it now has over 172, 000 miles :)

image.jpeg
Love my 07 Sequoia 4x4. Hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned. Outstanding off road/trail capabilities. It's like having a larger 4Runner.

Only thing I've ever had to do is standard maintanence upkeep...fluids, timing belt, and brakes. Had the rear hatch handle break on me...but that was an easy fix. Wouldn't give my 1st Gen Sequoia up for anything.

Thriller

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom