Anyone have tips on how to get to the radiator drain plug to unscrew it?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to flush the cooling system of my 96 80 before I change the water pump but can't get my fingers or any tool on the radiator drain plug, just no room to get a grab on it (the fan shroud is still in place); does the fan shroud need to come off?? (that seems stuck also).

If I recall I took off the belly pan (4 bolts I think) that protects the belts etc.. and there is a white knob thing I loosened with pliers. Its on the drivers side

Not sure if its on ds or ps on 95-97 I think the same as mine

1. Remove stupid cover thing (useless)

2. Use needle-nose pliers, long ones, with slight bend at end. Push up through space, get it on the pet cock, and crack it open (lefty-loosey).

3. Use hand and unscrew. Get the hell out of the way for glycol rain storm.

Thanks, took the needle nose and got it started, got a small bath but at least now I smell good, to dogs. While I'm here, I got the engine block water jacket petcock/drain loose, looks like there's a little spout attached to it which indicates to me it can just be loosened to drain, correct? The coolant that's came out of the radiator/system looks good, only about four years old, just a small amount of sediment in the overflow tank. Can't flush the system properly as the battery is out, no belts; maybe just flush it some with tap water now, replace the water pump (planned), belts back on, then flush it.

Last edited:
Sounds like you got it done, but for what it's worth, I took a dowel (chunk of old rake handle) and cut a groove in the end wide enough to fit over the 'wings' on the white drain plug. Just slip the groved end over the plug and turn... and like Beno says, get the hell out of the way.

80Ways: HA! That is exactly what I was thinking while underneath the radiator looking up at it; need to make a tool with a slot, just didn't have any raw material laying around to fiddle with. Thanks

That thing is a big PIA. I just pull the lower rad hose myself.

Take a small section of PVC irrigation pipe (1/2" IRC) and grind the end down a bit - to jam into the hole that the drain will splash madly. With the pipe in place at least most of the coolant will drain cleanly into a big bucket.

The location of the drain ... 'tis another Toyota stupidism....

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom