Anyone have pix of a 2.5" OME install? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting myself amped and ready to do this, just want to see what Im in for and plan accordingly.

I havent been able to find any pictures of the process. I read the parts list on Slee's page for the DIY kit and can imagine it not being that horribly difficult.

Just curious if anyone has documented the procedure or maybe has a copy of the installation guide they want to share?

Thanks,
-Brian

Its pretty easy.
I would make sure you really spray the rear lower shock mount bolts with PB Blaster for like a week before you start.
If you snap one of those bolts your job just got a whole lot harder.
Some of the other shock bolts can be tricky as well.
Start with rear.
Undo shocks and sway bar.
Jack frame and body of truck up high enough to remove spring, put new spring in.
Repeat other side.
Put in new shocks.
Repeat again for front.
You are done.

I just did this a couple of weeks ago and I am not a big time :wrench: guy. Me and my buddy knocked it out in a day. follow the directions of Slee and you can't go wrong. Just FYI I did not do the caster correction, I am taking it to a shop for that.

I honostly think the hardest part was the d/s front shock on top. The rest is pretty straight forward. Grease the hell out of everything a day in advanced and it helps.

LandCrawler:

A little off topic, but check out the stance on my 80, with an OME Medium kit; I had to make some 2" spacers to level the front, and it's still not perfectly level. My point in telling you this is so you can plan accordingly. If you like the look of the rake, then by all means do not get additional spacers; if you prefer a level stance, budget in some spacers. Mine cost me about $18 to make (3.5" tube welded between two .25" teardrop-shaped plates).

attachment.php

Just installed mine about a month ago. Medium kit is going to leave you with a rake - keep that in mind. Otherwise get spacers

• Slee instructions are right-on, read them twice a day or two before so you understand everything and have tools on-hand
  • PB Blast all fasteners everyday for a week before you plan on installing.
  • Have strong jackstands on site and a few jacks, if you have a hoist - even better
  • Pneumatic tools are your friend
  • Camber correction process will take almost as long as replacing springs and shocks, keep that in mind or farm it out
  • My bushing press tool from Slee was a bit off and fubar'ed my install a bit, ended up using a socket with press
  • If you're doing the steering-dampner, have tie-rod end tools and possibly an air hammer/chisel. We ended up applying heat and air chisel to it to get it off.
  • If doing the camber correction, have straps or chains on hand to keep the front axle from moving too much, with the arms off, the front axle will tend to roll forward a bit.
  • On camber correcion, use the trick that the Slee instructions show with a pin going through the an original arm/bushing combo and the new mocked up bushing,arm setup. We argued over two beers, multiple ways to measure, over 30 minutes before we flipped the page and saw what Slee was describing.
That's my experience and $0.02.

LandCrawler:

A little off topic, but check out the stance on my 80, with an OME Medium kit; I had to make some 2" spacers to level the front, and it's still not perfectly level. My point in telling you this is so you can plan accordingly. If you like the look of the rake, then by all means do not get additional spacers; if you prefer a level stance, budget in some spacers. Mine cost me about $18 to make (3.5" tube welded between two .25" teardrop-shaped plates).

Yep, looking at mine (OME 2.5" Mediums front/rear) I wish I had done my spacers during my lift install... it's not a huge deal, but it's one less time I would have had to mess with it.

I also agree that the most annoying bolt was the DS top shock mount. I've seen an electric impact gun (little battery powered guy), a socket extension, and one of those flexible elbow adapters (I'm not a tool guy, if you can't tell) make short work of it.

Mine has an arb bumper in the front and the 2.5" OME. It has the heavy springs in the front and mediums in the rear which is how we got it perfectly level.

Mine has an arb bumper in the front and the 2.5" OME. It has the heavy springs in the front and mediums in the rear which is how we got it perfectly level.

Jealous! :p That's how I think I'm going to fix my rake too.

I also agree that the most annoying bolt was the DS top shock mount. I've seen an electric impact gun (little battery powered guy), a socket extension, and one of those flexible elbow adapters (I'm not a tool guy, if you can't tell) make short work of it.

Yeah i see that in the guide here, this little sucker right?
ome_4.jpg

I guess its a good thing i already have one of these :)
ome_3.jpg

If thats all, this should be a breeze. Looks like its basic stuff.... i'll have to have my buddy press the camber bushings, but that wont be too hard.

Landcrawler,

I went with heavies front and rear, and it was raked, then after adding front bumper, winch, dual batteries, I had to go to J's in the front, even after that I still added another inch of spacers to get it close to level. Now fully geared, i sit 100% level. So like the others are saying, be mindfull of the rake if your not big on it. I hated the stinkbug look, and instead of doing it right the first time I spent alot of extra money changing things left and right, before getting it right. Just would hate to see ya waste money.

Depending on what your going with instead of buying spacers you can also bump up to the next larger spring up front to avoid some of the stinkbugging, like 41magsnub did.

Just my .0002
Jeremy

Wow thanks guys. I am planning on installing a M8000 winch, and fabbing my own front & rear bumpers. Because of this I was going to do the heavy kit. The rake would get on my nerves after a while, i preffer a level stance.

If you are planning on making your own bumpers, then the spacers will not be an issue for you.

Check out this thread, which has some drawings that may prove useful to you in making a set of spacers.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/433046-another-homebrew-spacer-thread.html

Anyplace to buy spacers?

Prophecy, are you now running heavys AND spacers??

Plans are to have a front bumper & winch, and fab a rear bumper and sliders.

Will be hauling me and the family and all of our camp gear 10% of the time, but hauling me to work the other 90% so i dont want too harsh of a ride.

You can click on my garage to view all my mods.

Here ya go though,

J's front - OME850J
Heavies rear - OME863
1" spacer up front
1" bodylift

Jeremy

The image shown is with the spacers installed, but the image is at a slight angle; the stance is more level than it appears here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom