Anyone have info on this one of a kind hj75 frankenstein? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked this beauty up a year ago. Had major rust around firewall. dreadful shape around windshield surround, rear panels, doors, drip trim, and elsewhere. But damn I feel like she's a one of a kind. Here's a restoration album I just completed:

The Transformation

But - my question - due to think immense weight of this thing, and the great height, what's the best suspension kit I could go for without raising the body too much, whilst still allowing a few more KG's on the gvm limit?

Also any recommendations for a light weight bullbar? Not overly concerned with strength as will mostly be dry camping in the, well, middle of nowhere.

Setting up the rig for boondocking. Had lots of fun on the bodywork.

Also, if anyone has any idea who did the original fitout, or how a 'stretch' troopy even exists??? I'd love to hear. I have no idea where this thing came from, all I knew was when I saw it I had to get it.

I mean.. a raised 12ht stretch troopy with steel cage throughout... love this thing more than my/ welll.. i wont say it.

some interior pics (slight mods incoming - this was when i picked it up)

Interior

Any info would be great folks! lovely to meet you all.

Wow, thats a cool rig!

Thanks bud :) Been through three motorhomes before settling on this. Near impossible to find a 4wd diesel camper let alone one with a tough an engine as the 12ht. Problem is she weighs a bit. Next is the suspension upgrade an engine rebuild. Will be leaving that to the pro's though.

She'll be running duel tank. diesel to start her up and get warm then to SVO (vegetable oil) to crank her along cheaply. 3 way fridge runs on gas, 200w solar power for gadgets, 2000w silent generator (a Wen 56200i - quieter than a honda silent generator for 1/10th the cost) for A/C.

Currently installing overkill security on the girl as I wouldn't want anyone stealing my house ;P

Plan is to circumnavigate* Ausland finding the best kitesurfing spots. Better keep the salt off her ey ;)

Last edited:
That is a sweet rig! I remember seeing this thing up for sale. ARKANA is the company that built a bunch of Buses and crazy stretched out troopies over down under for tour companies and so on. there are only a couple of pictures on that album... do you have any of the outside finished? Get some airbags on the back to help you out with the weight... that would be my solution.

Ive seen a few landcruiser ambulances and some with chassis extensions at the auctions in Perth. They often had a permit for the suspension mods , I think from Dobinsons.
I have seen off the shelf kits for the Nissan Patrol utes that add a few hundred kgs to the GVM.

Do you know who done the original conversion?

Also, if anyone has any idea who did the original fitout, or how a 'stretch' troopy even exists??? I'd love to hear. I have no idea where this thing came from, all I knew was when I saw it I had to get it.

I mean.. a raised 12ht stretch troopy with steel cage throughout... love this thing more than my/ welll.. i wont say it.
I don't think it's originally a Troopy, it's a cab/chassis as the windscreen drops down.

I don't think it's originally a Troopy, it's a cab/chassis as the windscreen drops down.

The cab itself is from a 70 series ute as yeah it has the drop down windshield (was a blessing when I had to replace everything as troopy donor cars aren't as common as utes). From thereback it is a stretched troopcarrier body with modified chassis. The finishing on the upgrade is incredibly professional with steel rollbar throughout, every 1m or so. the 12ht

Here's some more pics sorry folks should've thrown some up. These are all images from the classified ad where I bought it from.

More pics of the REBEL

Any other dry campers out there?

Aside from mechanically my rig will have:

200w flexible solar cells (about 1.5kg each)
100aH LiFepo4 battery bank (freeeeeee! and also a lot lighter then AGM)
2000w silent generator (53 decibals - quieter than your average air conditioner)
small 10,000btu Air Conditioning
3 way (12v/240v/LPG) fridge
LPG cooker
instant hot water (LPG)
Dual tank (WVO and diesel)
Recycling grey water and a big ol water tank for drinking.
Solar Shower
Stow-away self-composting toilet (when needed).

I want to get her up to scratch mechanically before any travelling though. Did the drive from melb to sydney like a champion. straight as an arrow and the 12-ht has some proper torque consider the weight of this rig (well, back then).

hmmm where to go...

iLljkiZ.jpg

iLljkiZ

I don't think there is anything troopie about the back half. It's more different than it is similar. The B-Pillar back is all wider than a troopie. The lower rocker panel sticks out as well as the panel above the door handle line. I'm not trying to argue with you. But I know you are searching for it's origin. It's a cool truck. :cheers:

RenderedImage-1.JPG

Last edited:
Hey its almost like a distant cousin of my troopything. Give me the 12ht any day though!!

I don't think there is anything troopie about the back half. It's more different than it is similar. The B-Pillar back is all wider than a troopie. The lower rocker panel sticks out as well as the panel above the door handle line. I'm not trying to argue with you. But I know you are searching for it's origin. It's a cool truck. :cheers:

View attachment 1592216

Tis quite a mystery! However I am quite sure the rear half was a troopcarrier. There's a lot of the original '12 seater' 'exit only' memoribilia in the camper and also evidence of once existing rear doors behind some trim.

I can only assume the b pillar is wider because the cab chassis of the hj75 ute is slightly more narrow? Who knows.

That's an Arkana for sure. Arkana had a few designs for the 45 and 75 series where the side panels on the tub were sympathetic to the factory shape. There used to be a MUD member who actually worked on these. The main problems were the aftermarket roof body being joined to the windscreen frame. The flex between the front and the rear caused the join to crack.
This ones a 6 wheeler, there were some real 6x6 but these are probably lazy axles

sc00002733-jpg.90070

The companies in Australia that did these kind of mods nearly always used cab-chassis because they are a few thousand cheaper and there was less cutting involved. And everyone loves a drop down windscreen you can replace when it gets rusty.

Bingo! Rosco's on top of it.

Tis quite a mystery! However I am quite sure the rear half was a troopcarrier. There's a lot of the original '12 seater' 'exit only' memoribilia in the camper and also evidence of once existing rear doors behind some trim.
Then my guess is it was converted twice. Once as a passenger 'bus' and then later as a camper.

I've gone through three motorhomes to finally find something that ticks all my boxes, 4x4, diesel, spacious, reliable, incognito; I'd never sell the thing even for $99k like the one above..

However I do wonder how much this thing could be worth... Anyone guesses?

Also rosco thanks for the pic and answer! Certainly arkana. I wonder if they have any old documentation or any engineer certificates as its currently unregistered lol.

Bingo! Rosco's on top of it.

Then my guess is it was converted twice. Once as a passenger 'bus' and then later as a camper.

Most likely, but they were also used as ambulances on mining projects or long distance transport in the outback for employees on road gangs etc. But its also possible companies were hiring them out as camper buses
I looked at an ex ambulance a few years back but the paint job the owner had done looked like it was hiding serious rust.

If you put "Arkana Motor Body Builders" into google images you can see most of their products. I spoke to one of the 3 brothers who owned Arkana, he told me he still had all the drawings. I think he has passed away now.

I've gone through three motorhomes to finally find something that ticks all my boxes, 4x4, diesel, spacious, reliable, incognito; I'd never sell the thing even for $99k like the one above..

However I do wonder how much this thing could be worth... Anyone guesses?

Also rosco thanks for the pic and answer! Certainly arkana. I wonder if they have any old documentation or any engineer certificates as its currently unregistered lol.

Yes, I would love to have one also. I just mentioned it to Hoser I looked a few all ex ambulances but they were in worse condition than yours.
How much its worth? Maybe around $20k if it was tidied up to a high standard.
Because of the age of the vehicle and because it has been previously registered, I think they will accept that it had engineering approval in the past, but they did a huge amount of govt work so the paperwork is probably stored away somewhere.
I think if you asked a automotive engineer(only if you have to) he may know how to access the original certificates and he would sign off on their work. I think the owners of Arkana are all dead or fairly old now.
Usually with campers and motorhomes, they are very picky on how the fridge, stove and furniture is secured. I think that requires it own permit or approval in itself, at least in WA.

Yes, I would love to have one also. I just mentioned it to Hoser I looked a few all ex ambulances but they were in worse condition than yours.
How much its worth? Maybe around $20k if it was tidied up to a high standard.
Because of the age of the vehicle and because it has been previously registered, I think they will accept that it had engineering approval in the past, but they did a huge amount of govt work so the paperwork is probably stored away somewhere.
I think if you asked a automotive engineer(only if you have to) he may know how to access the original certificates and he would sign off on their work. I think the owners of Arkana are all dead or fairly old now.
Usually with campers and motorhomes, they are very picky on how the fridge, stove and furniture is secured. I think that requires it own permit or approval in itself, at least in WA.

Couldn't appreciate the info more mate. Sounds you were rather familiar with the Arkana mob. Man I would've worked for free at a place like that just to pick up some knowledge (and maybe some schematics hehe). Massive shame the three brothers have passed away. I'll think of the legacy they left as I open my cabinets still scrawled with handwriting 'install 1st, install 2nd'. What legends. Jeez it sounds like I'm blabbing about some demigod. Personally though, this vehicle has set me free. It's freed me from society, debt, the daily grind, everything... And to think I was gonna settle on my old 2wd winnebago freeway! She was named the slug ha ha.

Hey I was thinking of a possible idea...

I kind of want to cut out the rear of the cab body and install swivel seats (can get ones to match Australian spec) to make it even more spacious. Am I a nutjob for having such a thought or do you think that could work?

The factory was not far from where I live. I followed their downfall in the media in the late 90s as it caused the govt a few headaches at the time. Basically they took on 10 govt contracts when they were only capable of completing 3. When the 1st contract fell behind they were hit with liquidated damages and it also caused the next contract to start late and so on.
I think the decision was taken by one family member, possibly after the other brothers had retired.

Before you do any cutting, get it lic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom