Anyone have both LC and LX 200s? Equally refined? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

But for my purpose, AHC is a hindrance with minimal benefit.
Yes, you do see them lol.

Here the AHC is in all its glory, dealing with heavy activity/abuse. Some people act like AHC is this fragile thing that has to be babied, just change the fluid every 60-80k and it should last the life of the vehicle. This LX would do desert runs like that all day long, hell I wish I could go there with mine. Like I said I towed for the first time this weekend about 4500lbs, the AHC kept the ride pretty damn close to identical as unloaded....impressive, and clearly AHC is heavy duty.. AHC alone is worth the upgrade to me. The Lexus just looks bossy, but I totally get how LC appeal is to go under the radar.

I’ve owned one LC and 2 lx’s. I’m a huge lx fanboy. I will be a Toyota fan for life. They make extremely reliable, rugged vehicles. I also really really really like my AHC. Mad tiger tends to openly bash AHC, so I tend to show up and give my perspective.

I’ve owned one LC and 2 lx’s. I’m a huge lx fanboy. I will be a Toyota fan for life. They make extremely reliable, rugged vehicles. I also really really really like my AHC. Mad tiger tends to openly bash AHC, so I tend to show up and give my perspective.

I'd love to drive a Land Cruiser around for a day or two just to enjoy it.

People can bash AHC all the want, lol. Just the protection for the AHC globes are as large as and look like jail bars. Said protection is gone from the 300 I might add, because every car is engineered around fuel economy now. Glad none of my cars were.

My half cent:

I compared and test drove both a new LC and a new LX when I purchased my LC.

To respond directly to the OP’s question; yes, I think the LX is the more refined of the two. Nicer leather and sound system. And that kneeling is awesome for dogs and old people.

But maybe this thread has diverted to the question of why one picks one over the other…..

I kind of preferred the idea of driving a Toyota over a Lexus (image-wise). Especially when 50 miles down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. My previous ride was a Lexus GX and I always felt it got more attention than I liked when I was camping.
(Heck… maybe Houston is quickly becoming a place where you also don’t want your fancy ride to be noticed.)

One other giant issue for me with the LX was that horrible mouse-thing to control the info system. I know it’s dumb to consider such a small part of a giant auto, but man I found that thing hard to use.

Also, it was pretty hard to find a new LX without the third row - something I definitely didn’t want. Maybe that’s changed by now though.

I agree, these are some of the same reasons why we prefer the LC over the LX as well. It came down to looks for us, the LX is bordering on tacky in our opinion and we prefer the more subdued and sporty look of the LC. We did not care for the track ball/mouse control either, an awful system thrusted upon most Lexus vehicles for a decade, so glad to see it gone from the newer models. We sought out a two-row LX on purpose and it required a dealer locate and trade for our dealer to get it done at the time.

We really loved our GX and I am patiently awaiting the release of the next generation. The are very high odds that one will find its way into our garage.

If you look at the LCDC thread, most of those lean toward the touring side of the spectrum. And those boys covered a lot of cool trail. For that type of use, the LX scratches a lot of important itches.

I was one 4 LX's at LCDC. Me and the TLC boys wasted zero time talking about the differences between the two basically identical trucks and instead just wheeled and had a good time. None of this mattered on the trail.

IMG_6212.JPG

qtp9UIR.jpg

t7wolhx.jpg

This thread is now a dumpster fire.

Last edited:

People can bash AHC all the want, lol. Just the protection for the AHC globes are as large as and look like jail bars. Said protection is gone from the 300 I might add, because every car is engineered around fuel economy now. Glad none of my cars were.
My post(s) usually comes after TeCKis300’s glorious input…. :)

Probably the difference is that the new LX has AHC only in USA. AHC is gone in the LC300 platform (i think) everywhere else in the world. So, AHC in USA Lexus LX300 was added (seemingly) as a USA exclusive and maybe as an after-thought?? (Just my 101% guess.)

Lol there's the protection for the 200 Series AHC, globes and other. 300LX does not have this. My guess is for weight savings for fuel economy, ditto the axed tailgate. Cars really suck now.

IMG-2328.jpg

Here is a brochure for a LC300 with AHC in Kenya…. Took 30 seconds to find.

Not a Lexus. A land cruiser…

I stand corrected. Weird how it is listed in the specs but in the brochure, it talks about KDSS and AVS but no AHC. Mistake? How does that even work? AHC + KDSS?? AVS is electronic shocks to control ride (sport, comfort, normal, etc). I could swear that when LC300 was introduced, it was just KDSS and AVS. But now, your link says that LC300 has KDSS + AHC + AVS? Pretty cool.

Last edited:
Here is a brochure for a LC300 with AHC in Kenya…. Took 30 seconds to find.

Not a Lexus. A land cruiser…

I think that i am right. No AHC in Kenya. Mistake in marketing material?

Here is Toyota Australia: https://www.toyota.com.au/-/media/t...ubs/lc300/files/20220711_lc300_spec-sheet.pdf

Australia: KDSS + AVS. No AHC. And Australia usually has the most variations of Land Cruisers i think.

In USA, Lexus LX has AHC, but no KDSS.

I can’t even wrap my small brain around having KDSS and AHC together…how does that even work?!

PS, you may want your 30 seconds back. :D

Last edited:
There's no AHC in the base LX 600 here. At $88k it's a two-row NA Land Cruiser. But with nice salesmen and better service loaners.

1660607069349.png

Madtiger = Thai
Damn Thai! You're still at it? I remember you from years back.... still up to the same shenanigans?! :ban:

It's just a repeat of these threads:

Is the LC as crazy refined as the LX is? I would hope so for the price. But does everything feel butter coated like only Lexus can do in a LC?

I'm sure it drives identical, which is very very refined but the 5.7 will rumble deep when you get into it. Shifts are imperceptible.

The inside of LX is better, but I'm wondering if overall the same level of refinement is there in every day use in a Land Cruiser.

I own a 2020 LC and only test drove an LX prior to buying the LC. I was impressed with the LX but my wife vastly preferred the looks of the LC, thinking the LX looked too fancy and like an older mans vehicle. That view surprised me, but I agreed the LC is more understated and average (most people don’t know what it is).

I will say one difference I witnessed in the showrooms was the difference between Lexus and Toyota dealerships. The Lexus sales experience was more pleasant and the facility was nicer and less crowded. I haven’t owned any other Toyotas or any Lexus vehicles and I have yet to take my LC in for service because I’m doing my own oil changes. However, I have read lots of comments on Mud that seem to be more critical towards Toyota dealer service and less so towards Lexus service centers. So, anecdotally, that might be a factor between the two depending on where you live.

To your original question about “refinement,” what are you referring to by “refined?” When you look at the definition of the word, most of the meanings are related to the concept of fancy polite society, but only one is “precise to a fine degree.”

Lexus obviously markets to the prior definition as an exclusive, luxury brand, and the LX has a few luxury features the LC lacks. However, both the LC and the LX have plenty of time tested fine engineering that is “precise to a fine degree.“

I don’t think you can go wrong with either; they are both great trucks.

Madtiger = Thai
Damn Thai! You're still at it? I remember you from years back.... still up to the same shenanigans?! :ban:

Omg. Nailed it.

Madtiger = Thai

Ah good memories…have not read those threads in years!

You don’t see Lexus’s in the bush in Africa and Australia. Just saying. People pay for the badge, and it’s reputation is well deserved.
You will see Lexus's out in the dunes here in Arabia.. mostly because some people here can afford to bash them. They do have a slight penalty in deep sand due to weight and lower profile wheels when stock.

Safari spec (Africa and Arabia) is usually a v6 with manual 5 speed and barn doors, which is the cheapest/ simplest/ lightest spec 200 series.. some also came with factory winch and rear diff lockers but almost zero electric gizmos (I.e. ATRAC nor even rear central A/C!)

Australia only had diesel LCs, which already costs almost two kidneys at highest spec.. I believe the LX had the 5.7 petrol engine which was not desirable in that market for offroading mainly due to fuel range needs in the bush.

I think it comes down to the fact that not all regions have the luxury of being able to offroad in an LX, not that they wouldn't want to...

Ah good memories…have not read those threads in years!
I’m guessing you were banned… and that’s the reason for the new handle?

I’m guessing you were banned… and that’s the reason for the new handle?
To be honest, i don’t know/remember. It has been over 15 yrs ago! Clicking on my old name now…i don’t think that i was banned. I don’t think that i broke any forum rules back then (or that i remember). Annoyed a few people sure. :D When i got my current LC, i tried logging on, but i forgot password i used 15+ years ago. So, i created this account.

What is funny reading those old threads…i still stand by what i said. My old G500 was a beast off-road. Even when compared with my LC200 now, i still think/believe that G500 is better off-road having off-roaded both. On-road…LC200 is much better. I got rid of the G500 when i got married because we needed more room…G500 was the size of a 3rd gen 4runner…legroom is decent but very narrow space.

There's no AHC in the base LX 600 here. At $88k it's a two-row NA Land Cruiser. But with nice salesmen and better service loaners.

View attachment 3087747

Wait......the Torsen center diff is an option? What is there standard? Not sure I'll ever buy a 300 but will definitely pick up another 200 at some point.

Wait......the Torsen center diff is an option? What is there standard? Not sure I'll ever buy a 300 but will definitely pick up another 200 at some point.
+1
Debate constantly LX vs LC next time, I just dont think I can b@stardize an LX with sliders, 33-35" AT tires, RW, lift. I did on my 100 but somehow the 200 looks less military, it will look worse than stock to me. Atleast with the mods I have done on my LC it looks better than stock from my perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom