Anyone have both LC and LX 200s? Equally refined? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The pre '16 models Toyota didn't give a s*** about gas mileage.

I get that you are exaggerating but it’s actually pretty impressive what these 08-15 will do for the size and power. Compare the mileage to the early 100 series with 150 less horsepower.. or an 80.

Car and Driver is legit, at least they were before they turned into EV drivel. I totally believe 6.5 seconds to 60, my butt dyno pretty much confirms it. It's roughly as fast as my LS430 which is about a 6.3 second car.

The pre '16 LC/LX are significantly quicker because of the gearing. I've read articles where they complained about the 8 speed because it just goes straight for 8th gear. No fun. The pre '16 models Toyota didn't give a s*** about gas mileage.

While we're poking at differences, the 200-series in any guise is a fine vehicle.

I'm not in anyway disappointed with the 6-speed and the 5.7L is has proven strong with a wide powerband regardless of gearing. Using large 33" tires and towing an 8k trailer with compromised gearing (before I re-geared) has proved that to me. 2016+ also comes with bigger brakes (now easily retrofittable to pre-2016s) with @bloc fine work.

I'll say I wouldn't mind the 8-speed for heavy duty uses. The 6-speed becomes a 4-speed when hauling. It would be nice to have more gearing and ratios to work with under high load conditions. And a lower crawling ratio in low range. Even if it may trade unladen acceleration and smoothness. At least that's my current thought.

While we're poking at differences, the 200-series in any guise is a fine vehicle.

I'm not in anyway disappointed with the 6-speed and the 5.7L is has proven strong with a wide powerband regardless of gearing. Using large 33" tires and towing an 8k trailer with compromised gearing (before I re-geared) has proved that to me. 2016+ also comes with bigger brakes (now easily retrofittable to pre-2016s) with @bloc fine work.

I'll say I wouldn't mind the 8-speed for heavy duty uses. The 6-speed becomes a 4-speed when hauling. It would be nice to have more gearing and ratios to work with under high load conditions. And a lower crawling ratio in low range. Even if it may trade unladen acceleration and smoothness. At least that's my current thought.
Wow I finally agree with you. Shocking. :D

I find the 8-speed tranny to be just fine. I don’t tow. But off-road and Highway, it works fine.

Car and Driver is legit, at least they were before they turned into EV drivel. I totally believe 6.5 seconds to 60, my butt dyno pretty much confirms it. It's roughly as fast as my LS430 which is about a 6.3 second car.

The pre '16 LC/LX are significantly quicker because of the gearing. I've read articles where they complained about the 8 speed because it just goes straight for 8th gear. No fun. The pre '16 models Toyota didn't give a s*** about gas mileage.
8 speed was less about gas mileage and more about the stupid dick measuring contest that is the # of transmission gears.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say.. don't care much for what the magazine says because I've owned or used these vehicles first hand.

We had the 2017 KDSS LC for a several years.
My offroad rig is a 2015 KDSS equipped 5th gen 4runner

I daily the 2020 AHC LC200
I drove the 2020 AHC LX for a while to test it out
Even tested the 2020 300 series for a week (my review thread is posted here too)

Dailied and dune bashed (Arabian style ;) ) all the above (except the LX)

KDSS is a nice sway bar setup, with the usual crap Toyota cheapo shocks. KDSS will not alleviate or improve the fact that stock shocks are crap.. just saying.. KDSS shines on-road and during low speed flex crawling. KDSS is actually worse in high speed offroad runs (like we do around here) as the pistons are held solid above 20mph and transfers more of the energy that unsettled the suspension when offroading.

AHC is a complete package, better ride, body roll, compression/ rebound control, and weight compensation. Very impressive for a Stock setup. Will never run like the KINGs I have on the 4runner, but don't have the compromises either.
But but but… the figure 8 test.

Seriously, I had ahc in my lx470 and it was still running strong at 307k miles. The ahc on my 2015 is light years better. It’s constantly working and and my truck rides like it’s on a cloud. Riding heavy? Put it in sport mode and and it stiffens the suspension. Need to load something heavy? Put it in low mode. Need max ground clearance? Put it in high mode. Want to clear 35’s? Sensor lift.

8 speed was less about gas mileage and more about the stupid dick measuring contest that is the # of transmission gears.

I think it's both, since you mention that. There is NOTHING wrong with the gearing or transmission tuning in the '08-'16. Like I've said I enjoy the spunkiness. My other car is an LS430 which is just a cruiser and doesn't get "fast "unless you really hammer it, it's just how it drives, waft-mobile on a torque wave. My LX on the other hand downshifts before I even think it needs to by comparison, and does not take much of the throttle at ALL to wring a gear out and enjoy the V8. You don't even have to put it into PWR, it's plenty aggressive in regular. Almost if Toyota knew what they were doing and knew most owners would know and enjoy a huge V8 engine with great gearing that made this beast feel pretty quick before Uncle Sam shut them down. With the 8 speed mileage EPA went up 1 to 13/18. But that's all whatever, I get 13.5/20.5 in my 2014 with the 6 speed on 87 gas.

I think it's both, since you mention that. There is NOTHING wrong with the gearing or transmission tuning in the '08-'16. Like I've said I enjoy the spunkiness. My other car is an LS430 which is just a cruiser and doesn't get "fast "unless you really hammer it, it's just how it drives, waft-mobile on a torque wave. My LX on the other hand downshifts before I even think it needs to by comparison, and does not take much of the throttle at ALL to wring a gear out and enjoy the V8. You don't even have to put it into PWR, it's plenty aggressive in regular. Almost if Toyota knew what they were doing and knew most owners would know and enjoy a huge V8 engine with great gearing that made this beast feel pretty quick before Uncle Sam shut them down. With the 8 speed mileage EPA went up 1 to 13/18. But that's all whatever, I get 13.5/20.5 in my 2014 with the 6 speed on 87 gas.
The 8-speed does increase CRAWL RATIO of the LC vs. the 6-speed, which is helpful off-road. I don’t drive fast nor care if it shifts extra before 60…i just care that it does it in a refined way. The improve crawl ratio does help me when i tackle the rough road.

And i believe that the 8 speed is better if you use bigger tires or tow a lot. I don’t have bigger tires nor tow…so, i defer to others.

The 8-speed does increase CRAWL RATIO of the LC vs. the 6-speed, which is helpful off-road. I don’t drive fast nor care if it shifts extra before 60…i just care that it does it in a refined way. The improve crawl ratio does help me when i tackle the rough road.

And i believe that the 8 speed is better if you use bigger tires or tow a lot. I don’t have bigger tires nor tow…so, i defer to others.

Oh yeah, it's very refined. I feel V8 5.7 Tundra owners get Lexus refinement power and shifting unless there's some drastic difference I'm unaware of.

One thing, you don't hear a lot of complaints about the 5.7 from owners (Tundra/LX or otherwise), except about gas mileage which most of us don't care about. I towed for the first time this weekend and turned the radio off just to listen to the engine rumbling, it actually have to work for once lol.

I don't have both, but I drove some LC's before I bought the LX. People seem to regularly point out that the LX has better interior quality, but I personally find the dash design really ugly. LC interior would be my preference hands down. I also prefer the LC exterior styling, although both look like beached whales, IMO (16+ excluded, more angular features did a lot to correct the blob effect).

Handling, I prefer the LC as well, although the LX is no slouch. Both are quite good for the vehicle size/weight. AHC is nice being able to adjust ride dynamics on the fly and I actually do use it every time I drive. It's a really good system, I just personally prefer the conventional suspension +kdss. Big advantage to the LX for having roomier wheel wells for those that want to fit big tires. 35's fit with no lift and no significant modification. And of course, LX sell for ~20% cheaper than LC, around here anyway.

Last edited:
Both are rock solid, very capable, and fantastic vehicles. LC if you're looking to heavily modify it and want to say that you own a land cruiser. LX for everyone else that actually wants the better vehicle overall. Have had both, and for our use the LX is far better. Daily driving, towing, road trips, trail use and offroad use, hauling kids around, having phone calls in the car with minimal noise, etc...

Both are rock solid, very capable, and fantastic vehicles. LC if you're looking to heavily modify it and want to say that you own a land cruiser. LX for everyone else that actually wants the better vehicle overall. Have had both, and for our use the LX is far better. Daily driving, towing, road trips, trail use and offroad use, hauling kids around, having phone calls in the car with minimal noise, etc...
Yeah…LC is such a noisy vehicle that i cannot make phone calls…nor do all those things you listed…my kids actually have to sit on the roof. :D

Oh yeah, it's very refined. I feel V8 5.7 Tundra owners get Lexus refinement power and shifting unless there's some drastic difference I'm unaware of.

One thing, you don't hear a lot of complaints about the 5.7 from owners (Tundra/LX or otherwise), except about gas mileage which most of us don't care about. I towed for the first time this weekend and turned the radio off just to listen to the engine rumbling, it actually have to work for once lol.

Even though the Tundra shares a drivetrain, the experience is different. It doesn't have close to the level of refinement. Just shifting from forward to reverse sometimes solicits a lurch. Tuning is in the spectrum of truckish and doesn't have the level of refinement and butter. It's likely tuned differently as there's ECU mods and flash tunes available for that platform that doesn't carry over to the 200-series.

Yeah…LC is such a noisy vehicle that i cannot make phone calls…nor do all those things you listed…my kids actually have to sit on the roof. :D
They're both fantastic vehicles. Nothing wrong with the LC. But if I had to choose between the two at the same price point the LX wins everytime for us.

They're both fantastic vehicles. Nothing wrong with the LC. But if I had to choose between the two at the same price point the LX wins everytime for us.

That's the beauty in have the freedom to choose. We have had both and the LC wins for us hands down, different strokes for different folks.

Wait till you have to change the AHC fluid or when it leaks or when globes go bad……see if you still think so fondly…. 😊

To be fair, those with a $5k suspension upgrade on the LC also have to get those rebuilt at +/- 50k intervals... but those require complete removal, shipping, waiting, etc. Or spares. Unless you're one of the handful of people who can rebuild a shock in their garage.

Lol, it’s the same truck, made on the same assembly line. They make fantastic vehicles. The rest is all marketing. I do think that the LC has the heritage that speaks to the burley overlanding crowd while the LX is associated as a lux mall crawler driven by rich old ladies.

Wait till you have to change the AHC fluid or when it leaks or when globes go bad……see if you still think so fondly…. 😊
My LX is at 209k miles, I replaced the globes a few years ago around 180k miles or so and flushed the fluid. Cost me less than new suspension on an LC, which an LC would have needed by that point in its life as well. Well maintained, either one will last a very long time. Poorly maintained, both will break down and have high repair bills.

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the LX can spin slightly larger rubber stock due to the lack of the DS KDSS bracket? True, you can get the Slee relocation kit, but with a sensor lift I believe you can turn 35s on an LX with just some plastic trimming?

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the LX can spin slightly larger rubber stock due to the lack of the DS KDSS bracket? True, you can get the Slee relocation kit, but with a sensor lift I believe you can turn 35s on an LX with just some plastic trimming?
Does 35 require sensor lift? If so, then will that make ride/handling worst? Does that put more pressure on AHC? Will that affect AHC component durability down the road?

My LX is at 209k miles, I replaced the globes a few years ago around 180k miles or so and flushed the fluid. Cost me less than new suspension on an LC, which an LC would have needed by that point in its life as well. Well maintained, either one will last a very long time. Poorly maintained, both will break down and have high repair bills.
You mean replacing the stock shocks on LC? That’s pretty cheap. Do LC springs and KDSS go bad at 180k? There plenty of people here with high mileage LC still on original shocks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom